• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, Brad said:

Here’s a list of cd releases. 

Cannonball Adderley Burnin' In Bordeaux: Live in France 1969 - Elemental Music (CD)
Cannonball Adderley Poppin' In Paris: Live At L'Olympia 1972 - Elemental Music (CD)
Chet Baker/Jack Sheldon In Perfect Harmony: The Lost Album - Jazz Detective (CD)
Brother Jack McDuff Ain't No Sunshine - Reel To Real (CD)
Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago - Iconic Artists Group (CD)
Yusef Lateef Atlantis Lullaby: The Concert From Avignon -Elemental Music (CD)
Shelly Manne Jazz From The Pacific Northwest - Reel To Real (CD)
Sonny Rollins Freedom Weaver: The 1959 European Tour Recordings - Resonance (CD)
Sun Ra Pink Elephants on Parade - Modern Harmonic (CD)
Art Tatum Jewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Jazz Club Recordings - Resonance (CD)
Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy The Mighty Warrior: Live In Antwerp - Elemental Music (CD)

The two Craft issues, based on previous history, will not be released in cd although I’m sure many of us have the Bill Evans. 

The Pike disc has been previously reissued on cd but it’s been awhile.

Thank you!

I am very sensitive to the whole vinyl hype but might go for the cd's of Waldron and the Adderleys this time as well. I believe the Elemental LP's don't have the best reputation plus the Waldron was digitally recorded anyway. Some time to think about it.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:42 AM, tranemonk said:

I can't find any ordering info about the Nat Cole set.

The RSD site says that the CDs (as well as the vinyl) are RSD exclusive. That may mean that you can only get them at the participating stores. One thing I’ve found is that you can usually find RSD titles at close to retail price online (Discogs and eBay) after the RSD date. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

The RSD site says that the CDs (as well as the vinyl) are RSD exclusive. That may mean that you can only get them at the participating stores. One thing I’ve found is that you can usually find RSD titles at close to retail price online (Discogs and eBay) after the RSD date. 

Who the heck organized RSD anyway? Seems very odd but clearly profitable.

8 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Who the heck organized RSD anyway? Seems very odd but clearly profitable.

I find the whole idea of vinyl only in 2024 truly bizarre. I mean I get offering it but vinyl ONLY? Do you want to sell the music or not?

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I have never had a problem buying RSD CDs after the "big day".

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I think vinyl is Ltd edition not to be repressed. CDs aren't.

So better value and won't get overpriced for a long time. Win/Win (green smilie here)

The RSD site says the vinyl is limited to 4,000 and the CD to 2,000. The recording is coming from the Iconic Artists Group which may own the musics assets of the Cole Estate and whose mission seems to be to promote their artists. Some of these smaller companies that make titles for RSD, based on past practice, don’t seem as interested in wider exploitation as say a Resonance. 

Edited by Brad

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, tranemonk said:

I find the whole idea of vinyl only in 2024 truly bizarre. I mean I get offering it but vinyl ONLY? Do you want to sell the music or not?

That's what's selling.  Even downloads don't sell much anymore.  Listeners in the aggregate either want vinyl, or they want to stream.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 3/13/2024 at 9:00 PM, hbbfam said:

Do we anticipate that these will be available as downloads as well?

The Manne is from Reel to Real so I’d say no but RTR is part of Cellar Live and their store is on Bandcamp so I suppose it’s a possibility.

The others are from Elemental Music and I don’t know if they do downloads. However, they partnered with Zev Feldman on these and Resonance has done downloads.

So, I wouldn’t say no but I wouldn’t say yes either. 

Picked up the Manne on vinyl earlier today - only spun LP1 as yet but the sound of that Monterey Fest gig is very good and the playing is strong. As with the Don Ellis recording about a decade later there is a booming USCG plane buzzing the stage during Manne's drum solo on LP1 side 2.

Whoever the genius is who decided to make the Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago CD set a limited edition of 5000 has evidently created a firestorm of speculators snapping up every copy for resale. I was planning on buying it online at 8 am ET when it was first available, but got up early and then fell back asleep. All of the usual sellers had no stock by the time I awakened again at 9:15 am, it took awhile to find a copy anywhere. I already spotted some obvious resellers asking prices of $50 or more.

21 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Whoever the genius is who decided to make the Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago CD set a limited edition of 5000 has evidently created a firestorm of speculators snapping up every copy for resale. I was planning on buying it online at 8 am ET when it was first available, but got up early and then fell back asleep. All of the usual sellers had no stock by the time I awakened again at 9:15 am, it took awhile to find a copy anywhere. I already spotted some obvious resellers asking prices of $50 or more.

Preach on... I'm going to go try and find (a very unlikely copy) today. Let us know if you track one down and how it sounds.