Best Live Boxed Set?

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

Coltrane's Village Vanguard Box set is my favorite probably. There's not a single bad note at that set. It's one of the few sets where I really don't mind the fact that there are four takes of the same track on it.

That's a good call 

I'd also add a vote for Peter Brötzmann's two sets '3 Nights In Oslo' and 'Long Story Short'

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Coltrane's Village Vanguard Box set is my favorite probably. There's not a single bad note at that set. It's one of the few sets where I really don't mind the fact that there are four takes of the same track on it.

Yes - THAT one, too!

On 4/20/2024 at 7:32 PM, Stonewall15 said:

The Complete Crazy Sunday at the Lighthouse. 6-CD set of Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars in 1953 released by the Los Angeles Jazz Institute in 2023.

Interesting. Not familiar with this, has it ever been released publicly? What’s the line up?

3 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Interesting. Not familiar with this, has it ever been released publicly? What’s the line up?

Forget trying to get a copy… I found it pretty much impossible. It was very limited and you had to be a LAJI member to order it. I tried joining just to get it but no matter what I tried, I could not get that sucker into my cart to check out. I gave up, figuring some day they’ll offer it as a download. 😀😀

On 4/21/2024 at 4:56 AM, mhatta said:

Japanese free saxophonist Kaoru Abe may not be well known here, but a 3-CDs compilation of his 1971 shows at several universities and a jazz cafe in the Tohoku region in Japan came out a few years ago and was very moving. It is well comparable to Eric Dolphy, in my opinion.

image.jpeg.ac85cb6364a9f2aff1b78d504da5bc79.jpeg

Yes

22 hours ago, hbbfam said:

I hate these threads.  They always seem to cost me money.

Okay, that was my bad.. 😵 Not only may it cost me some money but I apparently have forgotten all the live sets I do own.... I hate getting old....

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Where do I go to buy this? Discogs lists it as existing but has no copies for sale.

Look above in this thread, this was just offered with membership in the LA Jazz Institute and that opportunity has apparently ended.

Edited by jazzbo

I think Bill Evans's final live box sets, such as Consecration, recorded just before his death, were valuable in that they highlighted the essence of Evans as a musician -- fundamentally the Bud Powell successor, not a lyrical cocktail pianist. Obviously he was very ill, but It is like a supernova just before it explodes, or a great meteorite just before it burns out.

image.jpeg.dd9c4df6618474cff6272e8202c9af36.jpeg

On 4/23/2024 at 1:07 PM, tranemonk said:

Okay, that was my bad.. 😵 Not only may it cost me some money but I apparently have forgotten all the live sets I do own.... I hate getting old....

That is too funny. That was going to be the other half of my post, realizing I already own it.

19 hours ago, mhatta said:

I think Bill Evans's final live box sets, such as Consecration, recorded just before his death, were valuable in that they highlighted the essence of Evans as a musician -- fundamentally the Bud Powell successor, not a lyrical cocktail pianist. Obviously he was very ill, but It is like a supernova just before it explodes, or a great meteorite just before it burns out.

Well said ....

9 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Trane at the Vanguard, Miles at the Cellar Door, Jimi's Groovy Children, and I must be forgetting something else.

Eric Dolphy - The Great Concert of Eric Dolphy 3-LP Prestige P-34002 1974  VG+ | eBay

Dolphy & Booker Little at the Five Spot

Turns out this box has all of the Five Spot tracks.

Dolphy.jpg