Lonehill reissues

Stefan Wood

ALBERT AYLER - COMPLETE LIVE AT SLUG´S SALOON

CLIFFORD BROWN & MAX ROACH QUINTET - LIVE AT THE BEE HIVE

WOODY SHAW QUINTET - JERSEY BLUES

DEXTER GORDON QUARTET - COMPLETE DREW & PERKINS SESSIONS

i saw these in Virgin over the weekend. very tempted by all four but held off because of the copyright thing. is there a better way of getting any of this stuff instead of from lonehill? thanks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. . . "better way" . . . .

The Ayler material is available elsewhere on discs that were (I believe) properly licensed. (I've always seen these as two separate volumes til the Lonehill). The Dexter Gordon and Carl Perkins sessions were previously available only on Japanese cds (again, two separate ones).

Possible CD Reissue Album Title Addenda to:

Conrad Gozzo: "The Middle Years"

Eddie "Gates" Lester: "The Nobody Years"

Herbie Nichols: Living Large, The Good Years (1919-1963)

Rolly Bundock: When 'Fat Boy' Looked Mighty Pretty

Lennie Tristano: The Bossa Nova Years (with The Happy Horns)

Stan Kenton: Just Coolin' Out, The Quiet Years (post 8/25/79)

Sonny Rollins' Milestone Era: Just Coastin', Best of 'The Comfortable Years'

(note: permission pending sale to Concord/Universal)

• 2 months later...

This label continues to put out a lot of titles, and one of the new releases combines the two Blue Note "Best From The West" volumes, as mentioned by mikeweil in another thread.

But what do you say about the title of this one? :w

scott_tony~_tonyscott_102b.jpg

I would be interested .. where did you see these albums posted? I assume that the Tony Scott includes the Bethlehem, Brunswick and Dawn albums..... It would be nice to have the two 10" "Best of the West" available .. but why doesn't BN do it themselves. Lonehill does fill in some gaps, but unfortunately they make their dupes from vinyl ... and the surface noise is very obvious.

Hmmmmmm .. I found these listings on DG .... The Tony Scott is a real mish-mash .. damn! They could have done a better job of pulling this material together... I already have most of it, and Rhino reissued a pristine version (from the original tapes) of the Milt Hinton album several years ago. The trip to The Bastards was useful though in that I picked the Conte Candoli "Little Big Band"; The "Best Of the West": and an expensive Japanese mini-LP of Tony Scott's great Brunswick album, "In Hi-Fi" ... an expensive morning, but worth it.

how is the sound quality on lonehill releases, in general, poor, fair,good?. i was thinking about the best of the west vol 1 & 2. but if it is going to be that poor, i would have second thoughts about placing an order.

Damn! Again .. by the time I posted that I had ordered from DG they were already sold out of "The Best From The West" .. so I am afraid I can't answer your question ... but I do have the John Graas set, and that is definitely taken from LPs ... the sound is O.K. but there is audible surface noise. On the other hand the John Lewis, Orchestra U.S.A. and the Gerry Mulligan/Art Farmer Concert albums are very good ... so I guess it all depends where they get the source material. I must assume that they DO NOT have access to the original BN 10" tapes ...

When you've had some time to go over it, could someone post a mini-review of The Best from the West here? Thanks in advance! (I'm sure the music is top-notch.)

One point of interest: the Japanese Decca reissues of the "Jazz Studio" sets, while expensive, sound pristine (well, at least those I have). Jazz Studio 6 is especially nice. Lonehill's much cheaper, but the Japanese seem to have had access to the original tapes?

If Lonehill's going to exercise the leniency (?) of copyright law in Spain, why don't they just wait for the Japanese remasters, and use those for their discs? I guess I don't really know enough about the situation here to speculate in any educated fashion. Thoughts?

I'm listening to the Modern Sounds from the West, and it sounds fine, even great to me, but I really am no audiophile. I can do a bit of a review after I hear it again. I also thought that the Oscar Pettiford Big Band CD sounded good, though the live material (3 bonus tracks) was just a bit rougher.

It's really hard to decipher how legit this is. Both the Cds I am listening to have material recorded in 1956 (and Pettiford has a 1957 date) so it isn't "pure" public domain, even in Europe. Both CDs have little notices on them, indicating the material was licensed. So that's a start for Lonehill. But was it only licensed for the EU? Did the record companies that own this license it for a trifle, since they probably figured they only had a couple more years until it went PD in Europe anyway? I don't know. It's still pretty grey to me, but it is better than Blue Moon or Definitive, for example. Still, I am glad it is available to a new batch of listeners.

Oh my, ... holy cow, the Best from the West! I was going to start a thread for it, but since it's already been touched here...

I have been trying to get hold of these in any form and for a decent price for some years now. That's very good news to me. Compliments again to the people at Lonehill: a new hit in a row of already excellent reissues. And AFAIK, this one like all the others is completely legit.

Oh my, ... holy cow, the Best from the West! I was going to start a thread for it, but since it's already been touched here...

I have been trying to get hold of these in any form and for a decent price for some years now. That's very good news to me. Compliments again to the people at Lonehill: a new hit in a row of already excellent reissues. And AFAIK, this one like all the others is completely legit.

I agree that it's great that this stuff will finally be back in print. However, it isn't "legit" for me. I see where you don't have a location listed in your profile. "Legit" is true only if you live in the EU. If you live in the states, this CD is technically illegal to import. Obviously, it is nearly impossible to stop this, but just realize it's still not legit. Blue Note holds the exclusive rights to this music for 75 years from it's initial relase.

FWIW, I imagine this Lonehill CD will likely kill this title from Blue Note's reissue plans. It was on track for a Connoisseur release but likely not now. As long as the sound is good, that probably won't matter much.

Later,

Kevin

Someone sent me a burn of the Lonehill Jazz Studio set. I cant believe the horrorible shape Vol 6 is in. I would be embarressed to send a person a lp burn in that kind of shape, and these assholes are charging money for this crap.Lucky for me i did not have to pay for these.

Save your money for the Japanese issues.

when blue note issued the original connoisseur 10" release in 1998 (man, time really does fly) they only had four other sessions that they owned the rights to:

best of the west vol1 & vol 2

lou mecca

urbie green

imo,they should have combined the best of 1 & 2 and mecca/green and released them at the same time as the others. then the bn part of the series would be complete. back to reality, now they want to release best of the west? a might late, isn't it. i would hope that they would at least release the mecca/green dates on one cd. fat chance of that. why rip lonehill, at least someone is releasing this material. as i have said, if blue note does release best of the west, i would buy that one also.

Edited by mike casinghino

I don't understand why they would license the material, even only if in Europe, if they truly were considering a Conn. Was the Conn only going to be issued in the US? Was this right hand meet left hand - the rights department not talking to the re-issue department? Very unusual. Anyway, the sound on this CD (Best of the West) is fine.

I don't understand why they would license the material, even only if in Europe, if they truly were considering a Conn. Was the Conn only going to be issued in the US? Was this right hand meet left hand - the rights department not talking to the re-issue department? Very unusual. Anyway, the sound on this CD (Best of the West) is fine.

There seems to be some confusion with this Lonehill CD. It has incorrect recording dates. The two sessions were released as BLP5059 - Best from the West, Volume 1 and BLP5060 - Best from the West, Volume 2 in 1955. They were recorded 12/54 and 1/55. They fall under public domain in the EU.

Also, any "licensed from" statement on that CD is simply not true. I asked Cuscuna about this CD last week and he didn't know about it and his reaction was surprise. As I said, he was seriously thinking about doing this in the Connoisseur series. From his reaction, I tend to doubt he's thinking that now.

Later,

Kevin

It would be nice if Blue Note would remaster those Best Of The West 10"ers. I had them on a couple of Liberty/UA vinyl reissues from the 1970's and i noticed even then that the master tapes were starting to show their age. I would suspect those reissues are the source material that Lonehill used for their issue.

In this case since the bootlegers already have inferior product (vinyl copies) out, i think putting out remastered product would put a kink in their sales. It seems to me that if Cuscuna gives up on the project, hes just letting the bootlegers win.