What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I won't have any time to post it on Monday, here 'tis now:

The Cedar Walton Quartet with Javon jackson, David Williams, and Alvin Queen.

Very much looking forward to this - I've seen Walton perform more often than any other jazz musician!

That might explain why Jackson wasn't doing David Weiss' Golden Boy/Blakey Tribute show last weekend in New York then!

Enjoy the show, Mike!

Edited by Aggie87

"free entrance for customers of the hypovereins-bank!"

Wan't that the German bank that was bailed out?

Last Saturday - Kirk Lightsey at the local club with his trio. Kirk signed some CDs. :)

i didn't follow all this as closely as i maybe should but apparently the hypo real estate bank that was bailed out is not part of hypovereinsbank anymore since 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypo_Real_Estate

Since I won't have any time to post it on Monday, here 'tis now:

The Cedar Walton Quartet with Javon jackson, David Williams, and Alvin Queen.

Very much looking forward to this - I've seen Walton perform more often than any other jazz musician!

That might explain why Jackson wasn't doing David Weiss' Golden Boy/Blakey Tribute show last weekend in New York then!

Enjoy the show, Mike!

Actually Jackson did do the Golden Boy thing but had to miss the night you were there to play with Les McCann at the Kennedy Center is Washington DC. Right after our gig he was off to Europe to join Ceder. Not a bad life I think.

9:30PM at the Velvet Lounge, 67 E Cermak, 312.791.9050

Matana Roberts's Chicago Project, with Fred Anderson, Jeff Parker, Josh Abrams, Frank Rosaly

Very impressive all-round. Roberts is one of the few players I've heard who has grasped Trane's early '60s ability to freely/precisely alter the denisity of individual notes and turn that pattern of altered densities into a kind of secondary "line with the line" -- this with consistent, unmistakable intimations of The Spirit. On the other hand, some of her work got a little too applause-begging soulful for my tastes -- not that there was anything wrong in what she played then; I just preferred her "tougher" stuff.

Fred Anderson's arrival to share the stand made that preference feel even more preferable to me -- Fred in top form, as he was, is just jaw-dropping; both conception and execution sharp enough to cut fresh baked bread. The rhythm section was almost beyond words -- in particular, this was the first time Rosaly had played with Fred, and Frank was jacked and played his ass off; the up-tempo shoulder-shrug semi-shuffle that Frank and Josh Abrams got going behind Fred on one piece fit him perfectly. Also, some of the best and boldest solo work I've heard from the sometimes rather diffident Jeff Parker.

A further thought about Roberts -- at times she reminds me just a bit of Oliver Nelson on alto, strange as that may seem. There's some timbral resemblance -- a certain throaty/gargly creaminess of tone -- plus the sense that what one hears is backed up by years of practice.

Saw Richard Gagnon Trombonaction last night.

A rhythm sectioncomposed of course of a pina, bass and drums and seven trombone players, the better known of the bunch being Stev Davis, dig it especially when they were playing all together which gave us a nice big band sound, Gagnon has great compositions, a very fine evening of music overall.

Last night:

Lluis Coloma Trio at the Café Central (Madrid)

Boogie-woogie and blues Catalonian player. Spirited and hyper-vitamin piano playing. Lifts the spirit in a col night!

Best of:

-his technically demanding version of Rimsky Korsakov's "Flight of the bumblebee", based on an arrangement from the 40s

-his fully-equipped bag of boogie-woogie tricks (repeated notes and chords in the upper register; locked hands with fortissimo dynamics; sweeps up and down the keyboard with one, two... any number of fingers, with his fist...; wonderful and varied left-hand boogie patterns...)

-a very wide and non-tyring repertoire

Only flaw: his stride piano passages on a couple of tunes. Bassist was playing eight-to-the-bar, drummer was playing... I don´t know what he was playing!, and Coloma, though playing the oom-pah, oom-pah (octave-stride-chord), didn't get the right pulse, IMHO...