Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand from another board that this set contains a flyer for another MD set to be released next year.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks

Co-producer Richard Seidel said in an interview that unissued material may be released by Sony, including stuff from the 1960s. See this post.

Edited by J.A.W.

I understand from another board that this set contains a flyer for another MD set to be released next year.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks

Co-producer Richard Seidel said in an interview that unissued material may be released by Sony, including stuff from the 1960s. See this post.

Perhaps the Berkeley concerts 0f 1967 and 68 might be included although the tapes to the later concert were reported missing some while ago. The European tours of 1960,64 and 67 might also be included.

Here's a copy of the front page of the four-page commercial flyer (other pages unrelated to the new boxed set | page 2: Icon Collectibles art fine print series | page 3: MD T-shirts | page 4: about the MD exhibition in Paris]:

This annoying coyness pisses me off more than anything. That said, looks pretty huge. I think it would be a real slap in the face if it is these 70 CDs (again) plus a handful of unreleased discs.

Just got my copy about three hours ago. The front edges of the box cover had ripped loose at the seams, and eight discs had glue residue. It was packed with just a big wad of brown paper inside the box and was bounding all the way from Germany.

Looks like this set has now been 'yanked' from sale on Amazon - presumably because of the quality control problems - and its out of stock at HMV. Some discussion of the Amazon 'yank' over on the Hoffman Forums but suprisingly low-key.

I wonder if they'll try again in the New Year with an unglued version?

Edited by sidewinder

The way Sony is packaging Miles is pathetic.

Put out the DVDs from the 60s already, one at a time, no box set, no tee-shirts, just the damn music.

How fucking hard can it be?

Bertrand.

It's the "would you like some fries and soda with that?" approach, only that you don't get to buy just the burger! :crazy:

Actually this is a great set for someone who is just collecting Miles on cd. If it had come put in 1988 through 1992 it would have been a great boon and value to me.

I still like it a lot even now and don't diss it as Bertrand does. For 207 dollars, it's really something, glue spots and all.

You're right. I'm just reacting to reading many many criticisms of this all over the web. Gets wearying, but doesn't stop my enjoyment of the set.

I've been enjoying comparing the remasters here to other versions I have. (Yes, I know, currently I have too much time on my hands). I find that these in the box are very good, only consistently bested by DSD remastered Sony discs in my collection from 2000 and 2001. I have quite a bit of the catalog in these, they're as far as I can tell almost all non-Mark Wilder remastered, and they sound fantastic, to me, on my system.

>Wich Miles davis fan could buy these complete box set ???

Regards,

without the prestiges it can't be called complete. at least in my humble opinion. and i'm asking myself the same question than you: who would buy this?

I've given my opinion on that a couple of pages before. But let me enumerate why I wouldn't buy it for myself:

1) I recently bought the 5-disc Original Album Classics set. That gave me (I think) the first 5 albums.

2) Already own Kind of Blue (who doesn't?).

3) Have Davis/Dameron in Paris (vinyl).

4) From mid-career, I have At Carnegie Hall (w/Gil Evans). Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk. The Seven Steps to Heaven box set. The '65-'68 box set. Highlights from The Plugged Nickel. The In A Silent Way box.

5) From the electric era, have the Bitches Brew box, the Jack Johnson box, Live Evil, On The Corner, downloaded Go Ahead John from Big Fun (insane version not on the JJ box), It's About That Time, At Fillmore, "Call It Anything" from Isle of Wight (eMusic download), Philharmonic Hall, Dark Magus (Japanese vinyl), Agharta, Pangaea (Japanese vinyl).

6) While I'd really like We Want Miles, I have no use for The Man With The Horn, Star People or anything afterwards (sorry for the absolutes; I suppose there's a chance I'd love Aura if I ever heard it).

I don't mean all this to be boasting. It is the result of years of contemplating, comparing, waiting for bargains, panicking when something's going out of print. I've lived with this stuff for years, y'know? And I think a lot of other jazz fans have too; maybe not all, but a lot. So, given what's in the box, is the remainder worth $300? Not, at least, for me.

Well, the window of opportunity may have closed for an affordable version of this set. Some of us got this for about 207 including shipping, quite a reasonable price.

I can understand why others don't buy this. (By the way it doesn't purport to be a "complete Miles Davis" set, just the complete Columbia albums released with a few fudgy little exceptions (like ALL of the Blackhawk material, and the unedited tracks for the originally edited tracks in the Japanes Plugged Nickel two lps, and lots of alternates on almost all the other lps.)

I'm not asking or even expecting anyone here to buy it, at all. I would definitely recommend it to someone new to collecting Davis (and there are those out there, not we jaded old jazz collectors, but we're just a little floating island). Enjoying my brief period of affluence and indolence, I'm glad I got it and am enjoying listening to it. They really DID work at making it a sonically consistently great sounding set disc by disc, which it might not have been without some careful work.

Well, the window of opportunity may have closed for an affordable version of this set. Some of us got this for about 207 including shipping, quite a reasonable price.

I can understand why others don't buy this. (By the way it doesn't purport to be a "complete Miles Davis" set, just the complete Columbia albums released with a few fudgy little exceptions (like ALL of the Blackhawk material, and the unedited tracks for the originally edited tracks in the Japanes Plugged Nickel two lps, and lots of alternates on almost all the other lps.)

I'm not asking or even expecting anyone here to buy it, at all. I would definitely recommend it to someone new to collecting Davis (and there are those out there, not we jaded old jazz collectors, but we're just a little floating island). Enjoying my brief period of affluence and indolence, I'm glad I got it and am enjoying listening to it. They really DID work at making it a sonically consistently great sounding set disc by disc, which it might not have been without some careful work.

+1.

Couldn't have said it better myself, and this is from someone who, like you, has EVERYTHING several times over.

I agree with you, but you really should have the complete Plugged Nickel set.

I couldn't agree more. This set is a revelation. It's tricky to find these days at a reasonable price, but sets do pop up (Academy Records (the CD store) in NYC is a good place to find these sets).

I really wonder who the heck would be crazy enough to sell this.