Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huge big chunks of hearty goodness! Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to see if there's a theme to what's missing from the MRA box, but heck - it's the first Abrams box in world history!

And eight albums at that.

Thinking about is I don't see a theme for a second box. In any case these were long in print as LPs and as CDs. I replayed Q...etc recently and got less out of it than I might, so maybe the missing titles are lesser titles?

And George Lewis! Who'd ever have thought it, a George Lewis box!!

Huge big chunks of hearty goodness! Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to see if there's a theme to what's missing from the MRA box, but heck - it's the first Abrams box in world history!

And eight albums at that.

Thinking about is I don't see a theme for a second box. In any case these were long in print as LPs and as CDs. I replayed Q...etc recently and got less out of it than I might, so maybe the missing titles are lesser titles?

And George Lewis! Who'd ever have thought it, a George Lewis box!!

1-0QA+19 sounds good to me, but that's a matter of taste. Can't imagine anyone considering Sightsong as a lesser title. I know you didn't comment specifically on that one. Doesn't make sense to me that they left that one off the box.

Well, I humbly suggest that we should celebrate these rather than cavil. This label, and no other, cared to record so much Abrams that it now has more titles than it can reissue in a viable way. I don't see any other label that either has this scale of back catalog or that is continuing to set remastered but bargain price box sets before the public. Three of these sets were top of people's list in the preceding discussion.

Well, I humbly suggest that we should celebrate these rather than cavil. This label, and no other, cared to record so much Abrams that it now has more titles than it can reissue in a viable way. I don't see any other label that either has this scale of back catalog or that is continuing to set remastered but bargain price box sets before the public. Three of these sets were top of people's list in the preceding discussion.

I agree. But - without second guessing and disagreeing things would get boring around here. :)

edit - I'm very happy that these sets are out there so that anyone who missed them the first or second time around can pick them up now.

Edited by paul secor

1. Anyone have info regarding expected release dates for these?

2. Is this a good point of entry for Muhal? I own none of his recordings (at least as leader). Have read a few enthusiastic reviews for Blu Blu Blu, but have not successfully tracked it down.

Blu Blu Blu is great! Highly recommended if you like edgy post-bebop big band writing. Hearinga Suite is almost as good. I haven't heard the others in this box so I'll have to pick it up.

Amusingly, I was listening to BBB and our dog Henry was confused by the tuba playing at the beginning of the 2nd track (don't remember the tune's name).

2. Is this a good point of entry for Muhal? I own none of his recordings (at least as leader). Have read a few enthusiastic reviews for Blu Blu Blu, but have not successfully tracked it down.

Start here:

MI0002002597.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I'll second that.

But don't stop there!

I highly recommend all of his recent "Pi" recordings

Some news:

Good news, I'd say! :excited:

where did you find this info? i've been digging around for it and I can't find it anywhere. not that I doubt you personally or anything I just wanted to know where I can find some info about release dates and when I can expect to get these in the US. really excited about the Douglas and Abrams sets.

Some news:

where did you find this info? i've been digging around for it and I can't find it anywhere. not that I doubt you personally or anything I just wanted to know where I can find some info about release dates and when I can expect to get these in the US. really excited about the Douglas and Abrams sets.

I received an email from CAM Jazz on 7/31. The release date according to the email is Oct. 9th.

Some news:

I received an email from CAM Jazz on 7/31. The release date according to the email is Oct. 9th.

aweomse. thanks. I thought I was getting their email blasts. I guess not. oh well. less junk to wade through I guess.

Some news:

Yep, straight from the source! Took the JPGs from that email (and uploaded them myself again, so the links should last a while - and yes, they came in those different sizes).

I think so. Blu Blu Blu, Rejoicing with the Light and Hearinga in particular are favorites of mine.

Another favorite of mine, not on BS/SN is One Line, Two Views.

Edited by Pete C

So far, have listened to the first three Russells, fantastic stuff :party:

They're ALL great, imo.

Orderded George Russell set from Amazon.uk via harmonia mundi.....price is right ($46.00 ppd).....just hope it's gets here in a timely fashion and undamaged.

Just got hold of this too. Music that has somehow, inexplicably, eluded me for decades. Some outstanding music on here ('The Essence Of George Russell' an initial standout on first listening) and sound quality of the CDs is fine. Wish they had put a booklet with it though including good legible session notes and the lineups (without the need to get a magnifying glass out).

I had an ABC Riverside George Russell album when I was in college that I enjoyed. Does anyone have an opinion of the George Russell Black Saint box?

I've just read the first ten pages of this thread for the first time. Since you guys like it, I'll pull the trigger.

GA, be sure to check Importcds.com 's prices on these boxes. That's where I've bought most of mine (others in occasional J&R sales).

For the Russell, Importcds advertises in stock at $26.13 + $2.99 S/H, so the difference is negligible, but they sporadically run "10% off" sales.

Edited by T.D.

OK, I've just placed my order for the George Russell box with Amazon US proper, and their current price with free shipping is $29.16.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QM1ANU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I'm confident you'll be glad you spent the money for this set. I have it, and the music is great!

Henry Threadgill is the only other set I have. I could buy more sets, but I can't buy more time.

Life is short and there's too much great music.