Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the liner notes, perhaps in due course someone who has the technology could scan these in and make them available on the board? That can't be me as I don't have the technology, and in any case we are talking about boxes that don't exist yet (like Dixon). But that could be a way for those who own the LPs to offer a 'service' to those who buy the boxes and enhance the experience a little - maybe? Like I say, I imagine you need a large scanner or other equipment to scan these in. Any comment?

Received an email from Amazon France Threadgill won't ship before May the 5th

Mine directly from CamJazz has been here for over a week.

Of course, I paid more.

CamJazz here too. Unbelievably fast! Ordered it on Friday, March 19 - got it on Monday, the 22nd - nearly 3 weeks ago. The Threadgill must be a good seller!

As for the liner notes, perhaps in due course someone who has the technology could scan these in and make them available on the board? That can't be me as I don't have the technology, and in any case we are talking about boxes that don't exist yet (like Dixon). But that could be a way for those who own the LPs to offer a 'service' to those who buy the boxes and enhance the experience a little - maybe? Like I say, I imagine you need a large scanner or other equipment to scan these in. Any comment?

Yeah, that would make sense if BS/SN aren't going to give you PDF access with purchase!

Comments on the sound of these vs. the single CD editions would be appreciated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just repackaged the original CDs.

As for the liner notes, perhaps in due course someone who has the technology could scan these in and make them available on the board?

That might cause a few copyright problems.

That's my assumption too, even though the Cam Jazz website says "patiently integrally remastered paying strict attention to the sound quality".

I hadn't seen that.

I thought the main point of remastering WAS to improve the sound???? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

As for the liner notes, perhaps in due course someone who has the technology could scan these in and make them available on the board?

That might cause a few copyright problems.

• 2 weeks later...

[name='tranemonk' date='06 April 2010 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1270551076' post='1014009']

I just saw him once in concert and REALLY didn't like his music....

Nice how world is different. I am going to a concert of Henry Threadgill's ZOOID on 6th of May and I am REALLLY excited and happy.

It's more than 15 years I love his music and I wish to see him performing in concert.

I think I'll try and ask him to sign some of his cds I love best. And his new Soul Note cd box.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we got in our first shipment of Black Saint/Soul Note boxed sets. You can find them at The Jazz Loft.

Thanks! Alan

THE COMPLETEREMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK SAINT & SOUL NOTE

1. CHARLIE HADEN 5 CD SET BXS 1001

OLD AND NEW DREAMS

A TRIBUTE TO BLACKWELL

ETUDES

SILENCE

FIRST SONG

2. ENRICO RAVA 5 CD SET BXS 1002

IL GIRO DEL GIORNO IN 80 MONDI

ANDANADA

RAVA STRING BAND

SECRETS

ELECTRIC FIVE

3. THREADGILL 7 CD SET BXS 1003

LIVE AIR

AIR MAIL

LIVE AT MONTREAL INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL

AIR SHOW NO. 1

SPIRIT OF NUFF...NUFF

SONG OUT OF MY TREES

FLUTISTRY

4. ENRICO PIERANUNZI 6 CD SET BXS 1004

ISIS

DEEP DOWN

NO MAN’S LAND

FLUX AND CHANGE

SEAWARD

MA L’AMORE NO

So you got your jazzloft account banned and decided to re-register under a different name?

I tell everyone not to do business with you after the horrendous transaction I had with you last year, and now you're helping prove my point! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After having made my way through these boxes once by now (two or three of the Pieranunzi albums are still waiting to be played), I have to say I like them very much!

GREAT value for the price, and loads of good to great music. Some of the Threadgill is excellent, most of it is very good (though the Nessa Air album beats them all, I think!). The Rava is a bit of mixed bag, but I enjoyed the heck out of it, right down to the electric five with Trovesi! The Haden as well is a mixed bag, though it nicely shows how much of an influence Charlie's earthy bass playing has on the band's he plays with - it's not nearly as much of a ragbag as it may look on paper! The O&ND albums are fine, the trio with Geri Allen has some very good music, and the album with Chet isn't nearly as bad as the guys in the Penguin guide want us to think - but then I guess their assessment of the final album (trio with Pieranunzi and Higgins - same band minus Chet, actually) is a whole lot better and in my opinion, excellent (and most likely beats much or most of what's on the Pieranunzi set... but I'm not done with that one yet, as I said).

Anyway, I'd welcome more such boxes, that's for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Now you got me thinking...

Looks like there may be a 9 CD set of George Russell...

http://www.camoriginalsoundtracks.com/site/index.php?site=&path=artist&idartist=7532

I don't have any Russell.. Would i like this????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

nothing on Braxton and Douglas yet, but if you check the Taylor listing on the CAM Jazz site, you can see the note that the albums are also part of the 5CD box (the link is yet a dead end though):

http://www.camoriginalsoundtracks.com/site/index.php?site=&path=artist&idartist=6726

I don't have any Russell.. Would i like this????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

You're the only one who can answer that.

song samples of one of the albums (scroll down)

separate albums on Amazon (song samples included)

If you don't have any Russell, start with his earlier albums. You can find reviews of his albums on AMG - for what they're worth :)