Strata Records

rostasi

DJ Amir Abdullah has started his own label

in order to re-release the Strata label LPs.

Originally, only a handful of releases, he has

access to 5 times as many unreleased albums

that will find the light of day. I love this era and

its sound and so I'm looking forward to these.

You can check out excerpts from the Kenny Cox album below here.

You probably know him from his late 60's/early 70's LPs for Blue Note.

DnLh4.gif

Edited by rostasi

DJ Amir Abdullah has started his own label

in order to re-release the Strata label LPs.

Originally, only a handful of releases, he has

access to 5 times as many unreleased albums

that will find the light of day. I love this era and

it's sound and so I'm looking forward to these.

You can check out excerpts from the Kenny Cox album below here.

You probably know him from his late 60's/early 70's LPs for Blue Note.

DnLh4.gif

Just listened to part of that track. Very commercial and totally not my cup of tea (to put it mildly).

[by the way, why do people keep spelling the possessive pronoun "its" with an apostrophe?]

Edited by J.A.W.

I found it totally populist and not at all commercial.

The difference is in the intent, to reach people's spirit's with a message or to reach people's wallet's with a cynical wink and a nudge. The route's are often the s'ame until it comes time to lay down your hand and show your cards'.

Then again, maybe you had to be there to appreciate the difference and now it just doesn't m'atter.

But I was, and it still does', to me.'

[by the way, why do people keep spelling the possessive pronoun "its" with an apostrophe?]

Because I made a mistake. It happens.

It does [couldn't resist my earlier remark :)].

I found it totally populist and not at all commercial.

The difference is in the intent, to reach people's spirit's with a message or to reach people's wallet's with a cynical wink and a nudge. The route's are often the s'ame until it comes time to lay down your hand and show your cards'.

Then again, maybe you had to be there to appreciate the difference and now it just doesn't m'atter.

But I was, and it still does', to me.'

To each their own :)

[Very funny, by the way]

Edited by J.A.W.

Strata Records is near and dear to my heart for one amazing cut, "Scorpio's Child" from the Bert Myrick 'Live n Well' album, recorded in 1965. It's a great Kenny Cox composition, Cox on piano, George Bohannon on trombone, Myrick on drums, Ronnie Fields on tenor sax, Will Austin on bass. I'm totally unfamiliar with Myrick, Fields, and Austin except for this album. Really hope this album makes it to CD.

I thought the label was called Strata East.

Hope this isn't going to be another deal like Black Jazz.

MG

What was wrong with the Black Jazz CD's coming out? I thought that wss nothing short of miraculous, was very thankful to be able to grab those Doug & Jean Carn CD's while I could, and also have picked up several other of the titles through the years (Rudolph Johnson, etc.).

Edited by felser

I thought the label was called Strata East.

Hope this isn't going to be another deal like Black Jazz.

MG

What was wrong with the Black Jazz CD's coming out? I thought that wss nothing short of miraculous, was very thankful to be able to grab those Doug & Jean Carn CD's while I could, and also have picked up several other of the titles through the years (Rudolph Johnson, etc.).

There's a thread here somewhere detailing people's unfortunate experiences in paying for the records and not receiving them.

MG

Strata / Strata-East are entirely different things.

Well, this is almost correct in the sense that a sibling is not really the parent,

but, in the end, there were not as many children created as they were once meant to be.

Right, I believe Strata-East was developed based on the original concept of Strata, if I remember correctly across the decades.

• 7 years later...

contemporar_location~_101b.jpg

I'm listening to this album for only the second time. Wow. This is the real deal — killer interplay. Picks up where Miles In The Sky left off. If people knew this album instead of their Blue Note work (which is also good, just not as interesting to me), they might have a different opinion of this band.

The remastered sound is very good, and production as a whole is top-notch (interesting liner notes, photos, added artwork). Grab this one if you haven't already!

Also, the reissue label, BBE, has been putting out some really fine (and obscure) titles. There must be a thread here somewhere ...

• 2 years later...