Hank Mobley

Milestones

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was clearly a huge figure on Blue Note. Like label mates Lee Morgan and Grant Green, he died young yet left behind a very large body of work as both leader and sideman. I feel like I still have not come to appreciate him enough, despite hearing him in many settings--with Blakey, Silver, Morgan, and of course Miles (his tenure was short, but there's a lot to be heard on the complete Black Hawk session). I have listened to just one album under his own name, the quintet album with Farmer, Silver, and Blakey.

Like Donald Byrd, whom I have come to appreciate a good deal, I get the feeling I will like his work as leader best. As I said, I have not heard much; so I need to check out some stuff.

Edited by Milestones

I never tire of hearing his playing, which allows me come back to his music many many times. Not heard at his most confident with Miles but he still plays well. All his BN output is worthy whether as leader or sideman. Fave= No room for squares. ( this week)

I recently have been listening to a good amount of Hank Mobley and I think that for what he did/played on tenor in the hard bop idiom, he is without peer.

And I think his tunes are mostly well above the norm for the 50's/60's hard bop era.

but you cannot be serious not knowing if Hank Mobley has been discussed here - this is THE guy for this board.

what is was bulit on - don't you know that he is the penultimate blue note recording artist?

maybe the *most* discussed non-Miles type guy on this board

use the search engine, dude

Edited by Steve Reynolds

but you cannot be serious not knowing if Hank Mobley has been discussed here - this is THE guy for this board.

Indeed, that was my first thought when I saw the first post!

I listen to Blue Note material less and less, but I do still reach for Mobley dates; of the 'mid to late fifties and sixties dates, I listen mostly to Mobley, Hutcherson and Hill dates these days.

Mobley was a great player, and he lived the life. It's a wonderful thing we have so many recordings to savor.

Edited by jazzbo

Hank may have faded into oblivion due to medical and other issues but he didn't die young the way Morgan or even Green did. He was 56 when he died in 1986. Too soon, but not 'young'.

I've been on a Mobley kick the past several weeks during my commuting, earlier in the year I listened to all of the 50s material and now most recently it was the 60s leader dates. Still don't have much use for Reach Out but if you've only heard one leader date I would go straight to Soul Station, Workout, Roll Call, No Room For Squares, and then all the rest for good measure.

As for searching past forums, I didn't find much other than this thread I just created.

Otherwise, I'm sure Mobley has all the attention and respect you say he has received here.

Whether he is THE GUY here and the penultimate Blue Note jazz musician....not sure that isn't more Reynolds hyperbole.

Anyway it´s easier for me to post, when a thread is new, so it´s okay with me even if there may be older threads.

Well no question, Hank is one of my favourites. But I must admit, that I discovered him quite late. When I started listening to jazz (70´s), the BN Label was disappearing, only a few albums left, most of them OOP. they started those LA Series douple LPs, but none of those was dedicated to Hank as much as I remember. The only one with Hank was "Blowing Sessions", which combined the Johnny Griffin session with Trane and Hank, the other was that Blowin In from Chicago with Cliff Jordan/John Gilmore.

Well, I loved that Blowing Session, Griff and Trane, but didn´t pay much attention to Hank, from my point of view (when I was a teenager) he didn´t have that kind of fire. Same with the Davis LPs from around 1961. Well I started to like Hank´s playing on that live recording with Miles, but I had to wait until I was 30 , 35, to really DIG what Hank did. Then I became a Hank addict and within a short time I got many many of his recordings.