• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4-10-2020 at 2:56 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

! have spoken to Scott about this in the past and he said it was on their radar.

Sony also controls the Victor masters and that would bump it to 8 CDs excluding the Universal stuff.

I wonder how Mosaic could possibly get that on 8 Cd's. The Sony material would need 4 Cd's. Duke's first stint with Victor 1927-1934 takes up 7 CD's in the Big RCA box. Only with a 1931 cut off date it would be just possible. The are 6 12" recordings in this period. This would also orphan the 2 Cd's worth 1932-1934 recordings. I have no idea in what sort of box these would fit. Stylisticly it would be strange to add these to a 1940-1942 Victor (6 Cd's worth) set though that would make it a 8 CD set. Assuming Mosaic would contemplate such a set. The 1940-1942 Victor recordings are not rare. And such a Mosaic set would only make sense if it would be followed by a 1944-1946/1952 Victor set (4 Cd's) and a 1947-1952 Columbia set (I asume 11 Cd's if all unissued recordings and unlicensed issues are included).

Edited by miles65
typo

2 hours ago, miles65 said:

I wonder how Mosaic could possibly get that on 8 Cd's. The Sony material would need 4 Cd's. Duke's first stint with Victor 1927-1934 takes up 7 CD's in the Big RCA box. Only with a 1931 cut off date it would be just possible. The are 6 12" recordings in this period. This would also orphan the 2 Cd's worth 1932-1934 recordings. I have no idea in what sort of box these would fit. Stylisticly it would be strange to add these to a 1940-1942 Victor (6 Cd's worth) set though that would make it a 8 CD set. Assuming Mosaic would contemplate such a set. The 1940-1942 Victor recordings are not rare. And such a Mosaic set would only make sense if it would be followed by a 1944-1946/1952 Victor set (4 Cd's) and a 1947-1952 Columbia set (I asume 11 Cd's if all unissued recordings and unlicensed issues are included).

That would mean lot of overlap/doubling for those that have the big RCA box

22 minutes ago, romualdo said:

That would mean lot of overlap/doubling for those that have the big RCA box

Yes, there would be quite a bit of overlap, but the Mosaic would probably have better sound - the big RCA sounded overprocessed to me. It's been a few years since Scott said it still was on their radar, and I hope it still is and will actually be released in the near future.

• 6 months later...