Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

albumcoverCarlaBley-SocialStudies.jpg?12

SOCIAL STUDIES - Carla Bley Band - Watt/ECM LP. (`1981). A clever and pleasing album.

I'll agree with the clever part. :)

It's taken me a while to gain at least some appreciation for what Carla Bley does (or tries to do) in her music, so I'm sympathetic to others lack of response (I still find enough to fault). This album seems to me to be a little easier to access. What do you not like about it Paul? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it, or her work generally, if you would care to share them.

Continuing the theme:

europeantour1977.jpg

THE CARLA BLEY BAND: EUROPEAN TOUR 1977 - Watt LP. Great band: Andrew Cyrille, Elton Dean, Hugh Hopper, Roswell Rudd, et al.

SOCIAL STUDIES - Carla Bley Band - Watt/ECM LP. (`1981). A clever and pleasing album.

It's taken me a while to gain at least some appreciation for what Carla Bley does (or tries to do) in her music, so I'm sympathetic to others lack of response (I still find enough to fault). This album seems to me to be a little easier to access. What do you not like about it Paul? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it, or her work generally, if you would care to share them.

Continuing the theme:

europeantour1977.jpg

THE CARLA BLEY BAND: EUROPEAN TOUR 1977 - Watt LP. Great band: Andrew Cyrille, Elton Dean, Hugh Hopper, Roswell Rudd, et al.

At one point in time, I enjoyed Carla Bley's records. Actually, Social Studies was where I got off. Going back and listening over the years - and more so these days - I find that cleverness (to borrow your term) outweighs substance by a good margin. I also find that many of the musicians in her bands did better work elsewhere. That may or may not have been her fault.

All this is just my opinion. I hope you don't let it influence you. I don't want to take away any enjoyment that someone else finds in music.

Continuing the theme:

europeantour1977.jpg

At one point in time, I enjoyed Carla Bley's records. Actually, Social Studies was where I got off. Going back and listening over the years - and more so these days - I find that cleverness (to borrow your term) outweighs substance by a good margin. I also find that many of the musicians in her bands did better work elsewhere. That may or may not have been her fault.

All this is just my opinion. I hope you don't let it influence you. I don't want to take away any enjoyment that someone else finds in music.

Thank you Paul for your thoughts; perceptive as usual. I would not really disagree with them; indeed, they form(ed) some of my own reservations. However, lately I've been more willing to accept Carla Bley more on her own terms than mine. If that values cleverness over feeling, group over individual, then so be it. I'm interested in the fact that she has been making music, compositions and arrangements for over 50 years, and I suppose that requires some investigation. So I've been looking at her from those angles and seeing what I can make of it. BTW, I was recently reading an interview with Carla Bley from about 10 years ago, but still relevant and quite interesting:

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/on-her-own-carla-bley/

You can tell from the interview, she is hard on her groups, which goes to the point you made about musicians who work with her (or for her maybe more accurate). Still, an interesting figure in modern music.

$T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDcj8BQLVqvwsG!~~60_35.J

LIBERATION MUSIC ORCHESTRA - Charlie Haden. Arrangement by Carla Bley. Impulse! LP.

I suspect extra-musical considerations may affect one's response to this album, but for me, it really works and is standing the test of time.

Karel Husa, String Quartet No. 3, Fine Arts Quartet (Everest)

Byron Janis, Rachmaninov Concerto 3, Munch (Victrola) and Dorati (Mercury)

Mozart Oboe Quartet, Ray Still and friends (Angel)

Brahms Violin Concerto, Francescatti, Bernstein, NYPO (Columbia)

Don't know that piece, but I likes me some Karel Husa.

It's a good one -- at once very Bartokian and quite individual. Won the 1969 Pulitzer Prize, FWIW. Based on the Husa I know, when he wrote something, he really meant it.

I picked up a record collection from a co-worker's house. The stuff has been stored in the attic and basement for decades. All classic rock. I'm going through it and almost half of it is warped. It must be the stuff that was up in the attic. Some cool stuff in the warped pile. The Stones' "Sticky Fingers" with the real zipper. A numbered Beatles White Album (trashed vinyl anyway). Spinning some seldom heard stuff (for me). I'm now remembering why it was seldom heard in my house back then. :)