• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Supposedly, the reason that hardcore band Black Flag had such weird / terrible guitar solos on their later records is because guitarist Greg Ginn was obsessed with playing in a ‘harmolodic’ style.

As a kid I couldn’t understand what that meant because I assumed harmolodic referred to the more familiar style of Coleman’s acoustic Atlantic era. It was only after I had heard Ulmer and the Decoding Society etc that I realised what Ginn thought he was referring to. 

Of course, Ginn never did get there. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Morning listening, inspired by the above:

PXL_20230806_064317986.jpg.a7bc53e059c068708fbd3bf261477a5c.jpg

On a different note, guitarist Vernon Reid was for a long time the best thing about the late Twitter. A huge musical brain, very generous and ecumenical, without losing his conscious sense of what he was doing.

Yes, I followed him; interesting fellow. I heard him live once with Ronald Shannon Jackson.

22 minutes ago, bresna said:

Johnny Hodges & Earl Hines - Stride Right (Verve). An original RVG pressing for $4 at Princeton Record Exchange. I'm digging this one. Notthing earth-shattering but fun swinging Jazz. I'm very glad I picked this one up. I wonder how Richard Davis ended up playing bass on this date?

image.jpeg.bcba8c1a0ea8e71348ea76c71e4e2882.jpeg

Davis also plays on Hines' Once Upon a Time (Impulse) and Here Comes Earl "Fatha" Hines (Contact). Elvin plays drums on both.

Now this -

My0zNTE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

55 minutes ago, bresna said:

Johnny Hodges & Earl Hines - Stride Right (Verve). An original RVG pressing for $4 at Princeton Record Exchange. I'm digging this one. Notthing earth-shattering but fun swinging Jazz. I'm very glad I picked this one up. I wonder how Richard Davis ended up playing bass on this date?

image.jpeg.bcba8c1a0ea8e71348ea76c71e4e2882.jpeg

😁👍

42 minutes ago, bresna said:

On to the next PREX purchase - Jack Montrose - Jack Montrose Sextet (Pacific Jazz). Red vinyl is cool looking but hides the fact that this record has an off center Side 1 and is crackly as hell. Only $5, so can't complain to much, especially since side 2 is in much better shape.

image.jpeg.242d3b0f1f451634608a7b1bbc0af7a7.jpeg

👍😁

A good one really. Have the  japanese edition. Its another one from the 'West Coast artists' series on Pacific Jazz.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, JSngry said:

I bought the Rough Trade LP when it came out. The buzz was hot and there was no indication that American labels were going to put it out. The whole "No Wave" scene was pretty fringey to begin with, and Ulmer was in on it pretty much because he was there, if you know what I mean. Barriers were being disregarded, Venn Diagrams were expanding, interesting possibilities were beginning to form. 

The Rough Trade mix is still my preferred, have the punch and jab of it's time. But it's a good record in any mix 

yeah, I prefer that mix too -- I had both versions and kept the Rough Trade. The best James Chance stuff I've heard is that live album on ROIR -- the presence of Bern Nix and Joseph Bowie doesn't hurt! The Lower East Side was quite an artistic melting pot back then.

Yeah, James Chance himself was one of those things that was usually better as an idea than a reality.That first Contortions record was fun enough, though! 

Otherwise, yeah, the doors were wide open for the kind of cross-pollination that isn't always there. 

On 8/5/2023 at 7:18 PM, JSngry said:

Alamac! The label of heroes!!! 

I have two Alamacs I think. Bird with the Herd and Bird 1949 . I bought them in the 70´s and was a bit astonished they were so expensive and had quite modest cover design, no liner notes . The Bird with the Herd is quite funny though the more heavy swing style rhythm of the drums doesn´t fit to Bird, but it is a fun record.

18 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I bought volume 1 in the past couple of years and this gem arrived yesterday.NS05NDk1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I saw Jay McShann at Jazzland and it was great.
Dorothy Donegan also played once ore twice at Jazzland but I must admit I hadn´t ever heard her name. I learned that she was a very tehnical pianist and brought up as a wunderkind, could play licks of Errol Garner and others but seem´s to have been quite absent in the active jazzscene were you play and record in different groups . 

The boss of Jazzland, Mr. Melhard once told me it was quite stressy with her, since she thought she must have hundreds of evening robes to play and didn´t understand that this is just a smaller but outrite fine cellar club. She travelled with much luggage with robes and stuff and seemed to be lost away from the piano. Brought up as a wunderkind and kept that way.....

Dick Wellstood´s photo is also on the walls of Jazzland, but this must have been before my time or a style earlier than what we heard and studied. 

Börje Fredriksson -------s/t---------(EMI Odeon) 

Posthumously issued in 1969. Its as least as good as Intervall which I think was the only album issued during his short lifetime. I keep hoping that more might come out but he's a pretty marginal figure despite his excellence. This , Intervall and a compilation on Caprice are all available on streaming sites. Intervall was reissued on CD and LP in fairly recent times. I've recommended him before and make no apology for doing so again. 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have two Alamacs I think. Bird with the Herd and Bird 1949 . I bought them in the 70´s and was a bit astonished they were so expensive and had quite modest cover design, no liner notes . The Bird with the Herd is quite funny though the more heavy swing style rhythm of the drums doesn´t fit to Bird, but it is a fun record.

I saw Jay McShann at Jazzland and it was great.
Dorothy Donegan also played once ore twice at Jazzland but I must admit I hadn´t ever heard her name. I learned that she was a very tehnical pianist and brought up as a wunderkind, could play licks of Errol Garner and others but seem´s to have been quite absent in the active jazzscene were you play and record in different groups . 

The boss of Jazzland, Mr. Melhard once told me it was quite stressy with her, since she thought she must have hundreds of evening robes to play and didn´t understand that this is just a smaller but outrite fine cellar club. She travelled with much luggage with robes and stuff and seemed to be lost away from the piano. Brought up as a wunderkind and kept that way.....

Dick Wellstood´s photo is also on the walls of Jazzland, but this must have been before my time or a style earlier than what we heard and studied. 

Art Tatum liked to take Dorothy around to clubs and when pianists inevitably challenged him, he would suggest they battle her first. I think that was mentioned in Jazz Anecdotes...

Marian McPartland told me that she thought Dorothy Donegan had an inconsistent recording output due to being difficult to work with and he she was la bit full of herself. When they played their final duet to conclude the broadcast of Piano Jazz, she told her, "Dorothy, you wasted me!" Donegan's response, "It was no contest!"