IKE QUEBEC

jazzhound

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone ought to pull together all those stray tracks (including those w/Green and those on the Lost Sessions disc) - that would make a lovely compilation!

Now I know for sure you live in a dream!

You suppose wrongly since you take my conjunctive statement as something you think I might believe is possible these days.

As I know that's not an option, I let you live on in your dream thinking you know where I live.

Btw, if you have those two CDs for sale (you do keep repeating CDs are worth sh*t, after all, don't you?), send them over to me, please, I'll send you two quid.

someone ought to pull together all those stray tracks (including those w/Green and those on the Lost Sessions disc) - that would make a lovely compilation!

You suppose wrongly since you take my conjunctive statement as something you think I might believe is possible these days.

As I know that's not an option, I let you live on in your dream thinking you know where I live.

Btw, if you have those two CDs for sale (you do keep repeating CDs are worth sh*t, after all, don't you?), send them over to me, please, I'll send you two quid.

Don't worry I do know you know that. An idle pleasantry.

I'm sure I could find you those CDs though - but I am not sure which ones you want...?

Edited by David Ayers

Don't worry I do you know that. An idle pleasantry.

I'm sure I could find you those CDs though - but I am not sure which ones you want...?

I know that you know that I know that you know... :)

"Easy Living" and the Japanese "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs" which is nowhere to be found on amazon or ebay nowadays. The former seems to be around, but I've recently had some bad experience with several marketplace vendors both via amazon and priceminister, and I'm really not sure I need two more Quebec ballads (Living) and two more organ tracks à la 45 Sessions (Hack Cliffs).

That's why, in earlier days (such as 2000, when the Japanese CD reissued the first 45 Session, adding two prev. unissued tracks) it *would* have made perfect sense to pull this together with the tracks on "Lost Sessions" and maybe the two tracks added to Green's "The Latin Bit"... also there are two unissued sessions w/Green from 1962 (May 25 and June 1), where mostly the same tunes were attempted twice... some of that has to be good enough, one would think! (Not sure though, both dates are labelled "rejected", not "unissued", so...)

Edited by king ubu

What could make me reconsider buying "Easy Living" is that Cuscuna (in his "post script" in the Bennie Green Mosaic Select booklet) says those three quartet ballads are among Quebec's finest... so I might take the plunge there, and will happily live on without the two 1959 tracks from the Japanese disc.

Edited by king ubu

Gee, just found out that "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs" has yet another two tracks... from a three-track (?) 1959 session, likely with the same band as on the first of the 45 sessions... someone ought to pull together all those stray tracks (including those w/Green and those on the Lost Sessions disc) - that would make a lovely compilation!

Why weren't those two tracks ("Uptight" and "Cry Me a River") added to the Conn reissue of "The Incomplete (it's official!) Blue Note 45 Sessions"?

According to the first edition of the Cuscuna/Ruppli Blue Note discography the three tracks ("Up Tight", "Cry Me a River" and an incomplete take of "Latin Strain", all with a certain Edwin Swanston on organ) that were recorded on July 20, 1959 were rejected.

As for Easy Living, I have the 1987 U.S. CD with eight tracks, including "I've Got a Crush on You", "Nancy (With the Laughing Face)" and "Easy Living".

Edited by J.A.W.

What could make me reconsider buying "Easy Living" is that Cuscuna (in his "post script" in the Bennie Green Mosaic Select booklet) says those three quartet ballads are among Quebec's finest... so I might take the plunge there, and will happily live on without the two 1959 tracks from the Japanese disc.

Cuscuna is correct, imo.

I like 'em all (except "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs" which I've never heard), listen frequently, and "Easy Living" is actually my favorite. Agreed re. Ike's playing on Clark's "Deep in a Dream".

Edited by T.D.

Anyone know the story behind these two sessions remaining unreleased. Hard to imagine why they missed surfacing during 'the great vault emancipation' of the late 80's-90's.

Could they possibly be that bad? I mean 2 attempts at the same session by these players. Seems strange.

Ike Quebec Quintet

Ike Quebec (ts) Freddie Roach (org) Grant Green (g) Butch Warren (b) Wilbert Hogan (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 25, 1962

Sonny Boy Blue Note rejected

Take Your Shoes Off -

Cop 'N Blo -

Early Morning Shuffle -

Travelin' -

Born To Be Blue -

Throwing A Brick -

Ike Quebec Quintet

same personnel

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 1, 1962

tk.8 Take Your Shoes Off Blue Note rejected

tk.13 Cop 'N Blo -

tk.20 Sonny Boy -

tk.32 Throwing A Brick -

tk.40 Early Morning Shuffle -

tk.44 Travelin' -

Edited by freelancer

Anyone know the story behind these two sessions remaining unreleased. Hard to imagine why they missed surfacing during 'the great vault emancipation' of the late 80's-90's.

Could they possibly be that bad? I mean 2 attempts at the same session by these players. Seems strange.

Ike Quebec Quintet

Ike Quebec (ts) Freddie Roach (org) Grant Green (g) Butch Warren (b) Wilbert Hogan (d)

Take Your Shoes Off -

Cop 'N Blo -

Early Morning Shuffle -

Travelin' -

Born To Be Blue -

Throwing A Brick -

Ike Quebec Quintet

same personnel

tk.13 Cop 'N Blo -

tk.20 Sonny Boy -

tk.32 Throwing A Brick -

tk.44 Travelin' -

From what I have heard, only Grant Green is truly "on" for these sessions. The rest of the band has some trouble. Good, but not great and I can see why Blue Note didn't issue it.

Ike Quebec Quintet

Take Your Shoes Off -

Cop 'N Blo -

Early Morning Shuffle -

Travelin' -

Born To Be Blue -

Throwing A Brick -

Ike Quebec Quintet

same personnel

tk.13 Cop 'N Blo -

tk.20 Sonny Boy -

tk.32 Throwing A Brick -

tk.44 Travelin' -

From what I have heard, only Grant Green is truly "on" for these sessions. The rest of the band has some trouble. Good, but not great and I can see why Blue Note didn't issue it.

So what status and purpose do these original tapes serve now if they will never see the light of day. If Lion and Quebec deemed them rejected at the time, why were the session tapes not destroyed instead of being archived for all these years?