Ray Charles RIP

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From AP:

Grammy-Winning Crooner Ray Charles Dies

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner credited with creating American soul music with a blend of gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and "I Got A Woman" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died Thursday. He was 73.

Charles died at 11:35 a.m., surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

Charles last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singers studios an historic landmark.

Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.

"His sound was stunning — it was the blues, it was R&B, it was gospel, it was swing — it was all the stuff I was listening to before that but rolled into one amazing, soulful thing," singer Van Morrison (news) told Rolling Stone magazine in April 2004.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years ("Hit the Road Jack," "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Busted").

Ray Charles, master of music who combined blues, gospel, country, dies at 73

Thursday, June 10, 2004

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner who blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as ``What'd I Say'' and heartfelt ballads like ``Georgia on My Mind,'' died Thursday, a spokesman said. He was 73.

Charles died at his Beverly Hills home surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

Charles last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singer's studios, built 40 years ago in central Los Angeles, as a historic landmark.

Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.

``His sound was stunning - it was the blues, it was R&B, it was gospel, it was swing - it was all the stuff I was listening to before that but rolled into one amazing, soulful thing,'' singer Van Morrison told Rolling Stone magazine in April.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years (``Hit the Road Jack,'' ``I Can't Stop Loving You'' and ``Busted'').

His versions of other songs are also well known, including ``Makin' Whoopee'' and a stirring ``America the Beautiful.'' Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell wrote ``Georgia on My Mind'' in 1931 but it didn't become Georgia's official state song until 1979, long after Charles turned it into an American standard.

Also, as I was surfing around trying to verify, and I came across this tidbit. Apparently there will be a major movie on his life opening this fall with the following cast:

Cast: Jamie Foxx (Ray Charles), Regina King (Margie Hendrix), Kerry Washington (Della Charles), Curtis Armstrong (Ahmet Ertegun), Patrick Bauchau (Dr. Hacker), Warwick Davis (Oberon), Aunjanue Ellis (Ruth Brown), Rick Gomez (Tom Dowd), Terrence Howard (Guitar Slim), David Krumholtz (Milt), Harry J. Lennix, Usher Raymond (Jackie Wilson), C.J. Sanders (Young Ray), Richard Schiff (Gerald "Jerry" Wexler), Larenz Tate (Quincy Jones), Ralph E. Tresvant (Sam Cooke), Robert Wisdom (Jack Lauderdale), Denise Y. Dowse (Marlene Andres), Chris Thomas King (Lowell Fulsom), Afemo Omilami (Mr. Johnson), Elizabeth Omilami (Mrs. Johnson)

It will be called "Unchain my Heart" and be distributed by Universal.

Ah, what a voice, what artist.

I can't find the exact quote, but I recall seeing him on a talk show years & years ago, maybe it was Johnny Carson. Somehow it came up that Ray contributed to a charity that sought a cure deafness. The host (had to be Johnny) noted that he thought it was interesting that a blind man would give to a deaf charity. Ray said something along the lines of "being blind is no big deal. But if I was deaf? A life without music?!"