What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monday night was Howe Gelb and band ... great fun, very long concert in an intimate venue Howe has played several times and seems to really enjoy - first off was an acoustic set (Howe and another guy on guitars, third on a weird - seems self-made - double bass), then eventually Howe set down at the piano and played lots of Monkish stuff (with the guitar player changing to drums), and finally it went electric (Howe and bassist on electric instruments, third guy still on drums). Not quite sure what it all was, in the end ... dillentante stuff, genius, dada ... but fun it was!

On Tuesday I saw german pianist Lars Vogt - change of pace and scene - doing a solo recital. First off, Bach's Goldberg Variations, played softly and with a wonderful touch, an amazingly rich colour palette, too (and with the roughly 75 minutes it took him, he must have played all or most repetitions). After the break, he closed with Beethoven's final piano sonata, op. 111 - amazing stuff to witness in concert, for sure! No encore - but I found that perfectly alright, I mean after op. 111, what else is there to say?

Friday night, another change of scene, this time to free improv at the WIM, a musicians' collective offering rehearsal space and doing these workshop concerts. In front of twenty people (several of whom musicians themselves), Colin Vallon (p), Christian Weber (b) and Alex Huber (d) played a terrific concert. First set was powerful and intense, second took a while to build up steam, but again it was great. Vallon played as much inside of the piano than on its keys, using various devices to "prepare" it, Weber was his usual self, strong as a rock yet extremely fast in reacting to the surroundings, with neverending power and flow of ideas, him too applying various techniques they don't teach you in conservatory (or at jazz school), and Huber, whom I'd not seen before, was doing a great job, too, pushing and embellishing, bowing his cymbals but also driving them on with a free style that would still suck you in, rhythmically.

At that concert I bumped into an old friend whom I'd not seen for years ... he tells me tonight Weber would play at his place, in front of some invited friends. So of course I went there too - and wow! Again, a great performance, about an hour of solo bass, much arco playing (his fingers nearly fell off yesterday - he never uses amplification and he really was playing hard for both sets!) and again creating soundscapes that were beautiful and wondrous in many respects. Love this big hungry man on the bass!

Next up (hopefully, I caught some bad cold and was hesitant to go tonight already) on Wednesday Colin Vallon with his regular trio on their CD release tour.

Tonight Wadada, Douglas Ewart and Mike Reed.

How was that? Dream line up

Friday night was mostly a damp squib for me. Leo played very well, but I could hear little or no effective group interaction. In fact, I almost fell asleep at times. Some (maybe most) of this response or lack of response may have had to do with me, but that's how it felt.

Last night it was Terence Blanchard's quintet with special guests Ravi Coltrane and Lionel Loueke.

Tonight it was Donny McCaslin's group, with Jason Lindner, Tim Lefebvre and Nate Wood. i almost didn't go due to being exhausted, but I am ecstatic that I did. It was simply one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Wildly inventive, groove-based music from a tight, muscular band. I live for shows like this.

Edited by Justin V

Friday night was mostly a damp squib for me. Leo played very well, but I could hear little or no effective group interaction. In fact, I almost fell asleep at times. Some (maybe most) of this response or lack of response may have had to do with me, but that's how it felt.

1653353_765475220130169_1445840194_n.jpg

1653353_765475220130169_1445840194_n.jpg

Obviously a photo of two good friends.

Not exactly tonight, but I managed to get tix for Herbie Hancock at SFJazz in May. They added a 3pm show to the Sunday 5/18 booking - it sold out in about 15 minutes. Going to be a great chance to see him in a relatively small venue.

Will also be a nice complement to seeing Wayne there later this month.

Saturday night:

JOE FONDA PRESENTS: NINTH ANNUAL COMPOSERS AND IMPROVISORS FESTIVAL
The Buttonwood Tree Performing Arts and Cultural Center - 605 Main Street – Middletown

7:30 pm: Claire Daly Duo: Claire Daly, saxophone, Joel Forrester, piano
8:30 pm: Charlie Kohlase Explorers Trio: Charlie Kohlhase, saxophone, Eric Hofbauer, guitar, Curt Newton, drums
9:30 pm: Michael Musillami Trio: Michael Musillami, guitar, George Schuller, drums, Joe Fonda, bass

Tonight at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA - Four Generations of Miles Davis with Mike Stern, Sonny Fortune, Buster Williams and Jimmy Cobb.

Nice !

It was awesome. Mike Stern & Sonny Fortune played some incredible solos. Buster's bass had an electric pick-up that ruined his sound. All twangy and whirring (from his fingers sliding on the strings, but other than that, well worth the trip.