Gato Barbieri

Jazz Kat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing Gato rip on Latin America Chpt 1 was one of the things that made me want to pick up a sax in the first place, despairing of ever getting anything close to that sound was one of the reasons I put the sax down for so long. Pretty much everything up thru the Impulses is worth hearing. Two not mentioned yet El Gato w/Oliver Nelson arranging and trading licks on the title tune and Yesterdays with a particularly florid rendition of Jerome Kern's title tune and a honking blues dedicated to John Coltrane even if it sounded to my ears more King Curtis with a bunch of percusion (in a good way). I'd love to hear him play the Drifters psuedo-latin hits of the early 60s but that seems unlikely. Haven't heard anything by him in decades that I did particularly like.

At the time he had gotten his family out of Argentina just before the military junta got ahold of them.

Wow - didn't realise that he was affected by all of that bullshit. My admiration goes up even more.

Cherry's 'Symphony' is of course excellent but also highly recommended is Alan Shorter's 'Orgasm' - another 60s session where Barbieri fits into the conception very well indeed.

I have some of the Impulse 'Chapter' LPs on vinyl and will have to dig them out. The 'Live in NY' one is particularly strong from what I recall.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, Orgasm is a motherfucker - I have it on a UK Polydor version from the late '60s/early '70s, titled Parabolic, and the liner notes strangely state that it is the first issue anywhere of the material. Very odd. This is corroborated with the liner notes to Tes Esat, which talk about a date (for Verve) lying in the can.

Anyhoo, I'd like to hear some of Gato's early work from Rome, with Giorgio Azzolini and that crowd. I'm willing to bet it's straighter material, but the reports are strong on those records.

Yeah, Orgasm is a motherfucker - I have it on a UK Polydor version from the late '60s/early '70s, titled Parabolic[/b

That must have been one of Alan Bates' issues. No doubt the moral majority couldn't handle the original title. Would have caused a few blue-rinse heart palpatations amongst the racks of Matt Munro, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams etc. :D

That was certainly one thought I had. I can't remember if it's Bates or not - It's got a Verve label and Polydor information, with a 1969 publishing date. I just think it's very weird that Richard Williams goes on and on in the notes that this is the first issue anywhere of the material. Confusing!

Sounds great, though!

• 4 years later...

I'm being called upon to cover Barbieri's version of "Europa" this weekend, one of those things that I've long heard but never really gotten inside of, and...it's really a masterful performance. Melodic, flowing, subtly shaped contours in the line, superb control of the instrument, the whole thing has a flow to it that is elegantly liquid. Rereading this thread, somebody said that improvising is overrated. Well, I don't know about that, but I do think that true lyricism, the ability to sing a melody through an instrument & endow it with a body and a shape all its own, is highly underrated. I'll take Barbieri playing something like this like this, even in a "commercial" setting, over a collection of well-studied "licks" players far more often than not...

Amen.

And a second Amen. The Flying Dutchman sides, especially 'El Pampero', are my favorites, but I'm a big fan of 'Caliente', the A&M album with "Europa" on it. Alpert was really able to catch lightning in a bottle on that album, an incredible performance by Barbieri start to finish. It transcends the genre the way something like how the Stan Getz 'Focus' album transcends the "with strings" genre, both in writing and performance. The emotion in Barbieri's playing during that era was stunning, and real. I was able to see him live twice during that time, once at the beloved Main Point, once at the Tower Theatre.

Edited by felser

Very glad to see Gato Barbieri getting praise here :tup

Spent a number of memorable evenings listening to Gato and Don Cherry when they played at the Chat qui Peche club in Paris' Latin Quarter.

Gato and I became friends after I showed him a photo of John Coltrane with Gato's wife Michele I had taken backstage in the Salle Pleyel in 1965 when Coltrane played there. I did not know who the woman was at the time I took the photo.

I saw the Barbieris when visiting Rome in the spring of 1968. I accompanied them on the set of Bernardo Bertolucci's film 'Partner' at Cinecitta. Bertolucci was keen on using Gato's music on his films. That turned out to be 'Last Tango in Paris'.

Bertolucci turned up with Marlon Brando at one of Gato's concert at the Salle Wagram. He liked the setting so much he used the Salle Wagram for several scenes of the movie.

Passion is a narrow word for the intensity of Gato's music at the time. He was very much interested in listening to Trane, Pharoah and Albert Ayler among others at the time.

Gato is still playing well. I saw him not long ago, and was very pleased. He is no longer as energetic, wild and aggressive as he was back in the day, but now concentrates on making every note really count, and usually does. Every time he puts the horn to his mouth, you KNOW you are in the presence of a real master.

I avoided his music for the longest because of the commercial stuff some have mentioned here but a few years ago I got hip to Fenix which led me to open my eyes and ears a little. Then I found a nice vinyl copy of Under Fire which I really like too. A littel while later I found a water stained but nice sounding copy of Confluence on Arista/Freedom which is a duo album he did with Dollar Brand and I really dig it too.

• 12 years later...
On 6/17/2010 at 2:51 AM, JSngry said:

I'm being called upon to cover Barbieri's version of "Europa" this weekend, one of those things that I've long heard but never really gotten inside of, and...it's really a masterful performance. Melodic, flowing, subtly shaped contours in the line, superb control of the instrument, the whole thing has a flow to it that is elegantly liquid. Rereading this thread, somebody said that improvising is overrated. Well, I don't know about that, but I do think that true lyricism, the ability to sing a melody through an instrument & endow it with a body and a shape all its own, is highly underrated. I'll take Barbieri playing something like this like this, even in a "commercial" setting, over a collection of well-studied "licks" players far more often than not...

Happy to agree with you here.  Great jazz players get inside melodies and then the solo/improv/rest of it comes from there.  But what do I know, I can barely play.

I like his playing on Don Cherry´s "Complete Comunion". Before I heard that, I saw that there were many records under his name in the jazz sections of the record stores back then, but I didn´t know about his name. I mean for then avantgarde tenor I was looking for late Trane, Pharoah , Shepp and so on, but the name of Barbieri was not much mentioned among those circles. 
Then I heard the "Complete Communion" and it became one of my favourite jazz albums when I still was a beginner, and said "wow, so much good tenor" , but somehow I had the suspicion that those many records he made some years later was another music, maybe not really my music.....