John Hicks RIP

sidewinder

There's a post on AAJ that states that pianist John Hicks has very sadly just passed away in NYC.

I've seen no other confirmation of this so can't substantiate further. If it is true then my thoughts go out to his family. RIP. :(

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw him with Grachan Moncur on 4/8, and in D.C. back in January.

He was scheduled to play in D.C. this week-end. This is really sad news.

David Weiss and I were talking about how great he played at the Moncur gig - we agreed that John had really been playing especially well recently.

My condolences to his family.

Bertrand.

I am afraid this has been confirmed.

:(

John Hicks website

and

Lois Gilbert at JazzCorner:

John Hicks passed away this morning. He was rushed to the hosptial last night with intestive internal bleeding. One of my all time favorite people and great pianists. I am overwhelmed with sadness.

His last performance was Sunday at the St Mark's Church of which his late father was the minister. That was also his 1st performance. Please look at his website. We just recently put it back up on Jazzcorner and we were planning to meet this week to get it up to date.

God Bless You John Hicks - I will miss you so much, hickiepoo

I had the good forture to hear Mr. Hicks play live once, here in Kansas City. I've forgotten who all he played with (Spontoon, do you remember? - if not, surely it was in your column for that week), but surely it was for one of the many great "top drawer" NY-centric pick-up groups that Bobby Watson has brought to town (since Bobby took over the jazz program at the UMKC conservatory, here in KC).

Besides the music (which was sublime :tup ), I especially remember how much fun John was having that night. He REALLY seemed to be enjoying himself, both on and off the stage. He played a couple solo-piano things too, once each at the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd sets -- and you could have heard a pin drop in there (The Blue Room), which is really saying something - cuz there's always idle chit-chat going on normally in that venue.

What I also discovered that night (which I already mostly knew), was that the man had chops like almost nobody else I'd ever heard live, save for a very small handful of other players. Made me want to go right out and buy half of the man's catalog, that very next week.

RIP, John, and thank you for giving us such beautiful music over the years. :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

R.I.P., John. :(

I was fortunate to hear him play live not long ago with Charles Tolliver.

Me too (in Oakland last Fall). I'll cherish those concerts forever.

If that was the "Night of the Cookers" show, I was there, too. Great music.

Sorry to see you go, John ... :(