Andrew Hill space

Big Al

I just want to chime in and say I'm a HUGE fan of Andrew Hill. :D

I finally got my copy of Passing Ships, yesterday! I love this music. I'm been playing it over and over all day.

I wish Mosaic would do a Select set with all the unreleased sessions that are still in the vault. I don't even care if they're train wrecks or not. I'm sure there would be very interesting music in even the worst sessions.

I agree that Hill's stature should be elevated. He really is one of the "greats". I love all his music.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the long weekend lag! :)

I listened to 'em a few times, and I want to believe that the clips are not painting the whole picture; because the clips are just one-minute samlpings of each head of the song, which feature prominently..... the voices. And I gotta say, those voices turned me right off. Not a knock against Hill or the vocalists; I'm just not that hip on the human voice as an improvisatory instrument (I don't enjoy scat singing, either, Louis Armstrong notwithstanding).

I did pick up Grass Roots earlier in the week, and though I've only listened to it a couple of times, I am really digging it. It makes me want to look for some Booker Ervin sometime down the road. Plus, I reeeeeally dig those groooves! And Hill's playing is nothing short of top-notch, proving that he could/can play in any bag!

Right now, I'm eagerly awaiting getting Passing Ships (every time I read that thread, makes me wanna run right out and get it NOW!), which will hopefully be tomorrow!

After reading the bulk of the posts in this thread, I do wish those Soul Note records were still available. :(

Forgot to mention: IMHO, Ron Carter is da MAAAAAAN on Grass Roots. I know Richard Davis is rightfully regarded as Hill's best bassist, but I think that the choice of Carter on GR was an inspired one because it allowed Hill to bridge the gap between his groundbreaking abstractions and his desire to reach out to the jazz masses. Maybe Davis could've done it as well, but I think Carter's delicate touch and sense of swing fit perfectly on this album.

Forgot to mention: IMHO, Ron Carter is da MAAAAAAN on Grass Roots. I know Richard Davis is rightfully regarded as Hill's best bassist, but I think that the choice of Carter on GR was an inspired one because it allowed Hill to bridge the gap between his groundbreaking abstractions and his desire to reach out to the jazz masses. Maybe Davis could've done it as well, but I think Carter's delicate touch and sense of swing fit perfectly on this album.

That's funny you mention that Al, 'cuz I remember Jim having almost a completely opposite opinion regarding Carter on that session. See the GRASS ROOTS album of the week thread.

That's funny you mention that Al, 'cuz I remember Jim having almost a completely opposite opinion regarding Carter on that session.

Substitute "totally" for "almost" and you got it! :g:g:g

Substitute "totally" for "almost" and you got it! :g:g:g

and when Sangrey says "totally completely opposite," he ain't fooling!

:bwallace:

I remember the discussion R_T links to above. The AotW was a good reason to revisit the album and the various well spoken and well informed opinions helped me to get to closer to the bottom of what had been nagging me about the first session on the disk.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anybody heard this and can recommend it?

c1621.jpg

I have, and I can, with the stipulation that this is VERY early Andrew Hill functioning in a "conventional" piano trio format. Still, "conventional" and "interesting" need not be mutually exclusive, and they are not here. Besides, there's a few moments (and moments is all they are) where the voice of Andrew Hill as we know and love him today show through.

Largely, but not exclusively, of historical interest as far as Andrew Hill goes, and enjoyable enough regardless of who it is.

Has anybody heard this and can recommend it?

c1621.jpg

I have, and I can, with the stipulation that this is VERY early Andrew Hill functioning in a "conventional" piano trio format. Still, "conventional" and "interesting" need not be mutually exclusive, and they are not here. Besides, there's a few moments (and moments is all they are) where the voice of Andrew Hill as we know and love him today show through.

Largely, but not exclusively, of historical interest as far as Andrew Hill goes, and enjoyable enough regardless of who it is.

What Jim said.

• 3 weeks later...

I've still yet to get Hill all the way. I enjoy him very much as a sideman with Henderson and Mobley, but have not explored much of his leader dates beyond Point of Departure and Judgment.

Catesta, do take a chance with Hill's most recent Conn, "Passing Ships" - the one that sat in the vaults until just this October. It's a very "inside" date, for Hill, with lots of things for everyone to like.

(And if you buy it, and don't like it, I'm sure there'll be people here who'll trade you something for it.)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I think I will have to dig out Eternal Spirit and Dance with Death. At this point I'm not crazy about either of these albums -- not that there's anything wrong with them, but they haven't clicked yet.

The Mosaic Select will be added to the wish list as well...

Guy

Edited by Guy

I got my hands on Compulsion, the earlier One for One session and the quartet session from Involution. Compulsion is pretty interesting! Looking forward to picking up legit copies when they come out but until then thank god for the internet.

update: After listening to each, I think Involution is my favorite. Will have to listen some more.

Guy

Edited by Guy

• 4 months later...

At the Chicago Jazz Festival on Friday, Jason Moran mentioned how Andrew Hill is "sick", and wanted people to keep Andrew in their thoughts. He sounded very nervous and uneasy while speaking of this. I know Andrew's health has been affecting him more recently, but has anyone heard any more recent updates? The way Moran was talking, it sounded like Andrew is really not doing well at all...... :(