Ahmad Jamal and Carter/Bradford Mosaics can be pre-ordered

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many more sets are planned, but, since they don't have clearance yet from the owners of the rights, I can't post anything about them at this stage.

Thanks, Kevin.

Errr... I'm not Kevin :)

Oh, I'm so happy about this!! Thanks for sharing this news. I believe that one of the Selects planned in the near future is the Lucky Thompson set. I heard that from MC at one point.

Scott mentioned quite a few names to me, but not Lucky Thompson (unfortunately).

I'm glad someone got it. :P

And I fail to see why secrecy would be sworn because deals aren't in place. Actually giving out such information might lead to the kind of positive reaction that would help along the licensing process for both parties, as both parties might get some encouragement to conclude a deal. Granted, a thousand people won't declare their absolute intention to purchase a set by X, but its forums like this one that provide feedback from customers.

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm glad someone got it. :P

I guess I don't have your sense of humour - which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

And I fail to see why secrecy would be sworn because deals aren't in place. Actually giving out such information might lead to the kind of positive reaction that would help along the licensing process for both parties, as both parties might get some encouragement to conclude a deal. Granted, a thousand people won't declare their absolute intention to purchase a set by X, but its forums like this one that provide feedback from customers.

Or giving out info before deals are concluded might lead to negative reactions from the owners of the rights. I understand that it has happened before.

Oh, I'm so happy about this!! Thanks for sharing this news. I believe that one of the Selects planned in the near future is the Lucky Thompson set. I heard that from MC at one point.

Scott (email communication from last month) confirmed that they were working on a LT Mosaic Select

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel told me today that the Ahmad Jamal set is scheduled for release in July 2010. Apparently the missing tapes have been located - though Scott didn't say anything about that.

This is the first good news I have read or heard today.

Me too! I'm happier than a Chilean map maker who now gets to rework (then resell) all of his maps due to the 8.8 quake shifting the entire city of Concepción a whopping 10 feet to the west!! :excited:

The long-delayed Jim Nabors set will be in this batch as well.

Bertrand.

Hopefully, this will include the rare Lambert, Hendricks and Nabors sessions. Few are aware that Jim was a early proponent of vocalese. I've never heard anything that comes close to his scatted version of Back Home In Indiana.

Is the Jamal just Argo, or Chess/Argo?

Back in 2008 Scott Wenzel told me these albums would be included:

Argo LP-610 - Count 'Em 88

Argo LP-628 - But Not for Me

Argo LP-636 - Ahmad Jamal Trio – Volume IV

Argo LP-2638 - Portfolio of Ahmad Jamal

Argo LP-646 - Jamal at the Penthouse

Argo LP-662 - Happy Moods

Argo LP-667 - At the Pershing

Argo LP-673 - Listen to the Ahmad Jamal Quintet

Argo LP-685 - Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra

Argo LP-691 - All of You

Argo LP-703 - Ahmad Jamal at the Blackhawk

Chess 2ACMJ-407 - Sunset

See also this thread.

Edited by J.A.W.

Now that I think about it, this set being released is an argument for MC to revisit a Three Sounds set. He's basically rejected the idea because there were so many recordings and insufficient variety therein. Well, someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that the exact same thing can be said about the Jamal trio.

I'd be all for it.. but to me the difference is that the Jamal will sell better...

Now that I think about it, this set being released is an argument for MC to revisit a Three Sounds set. He's basically rejected the idea because there were so many recordings and insufficient variety therein. Well, someone correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that the exact same thing can be said about the Jamal trio.

I think MC said that he believed a Three Sounds set would not sell well. I like their Blue Notes as much as the

next guy. At the risk of sidetracking this thread (and offending Blue Note lovers everywhere), Ahmad Jamal was doing things with space and time that Gene Harris could only dream of doing. These Jamal Argo and Chess recordings are legendary amongst jazz collectors and musicians alike (ask Miles Davis). Crosby and Fournier were an exceptional, telepathic rhythm team. Dowdy and Simpkins, while being solid, were not nearly at their level. On the surface, Jamal's music may appear to lack variety, but if one listens closely, there's alot more going on there than in a Three Sounds record.