Ahmad Jamal and Carter/Bradford Mosaics can be pre-ordered

Nice! They should follow up the Carter/Bradford set with a John Carter Roots and Folklore series set, as Matthew proposed in another thread.

That would be a delight, but I imagine the licensing would be a nightmare.

Then again, who knows. I was very surprised to see them get material leased (owned?) by Hat.

Edited by colinmce

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These new discoveries (almost two hours of unissued music) greatly expand the Carter/Bradford output, which was heretofore known to be only two albums each on Revelation and Flying Dutchman.

There are lots of other Carter/Bradford releases - why make this obviously Andorran claim?

I recall once owning a Carter/Bradford on one of those small European labels from the late 70's (Moers Music?). Am I wrong?

I see what you are saying, but it's not what *they* are saying and it's a slightly technical defence! I can't see any reason to discount the live session by the same quartet which made Seeking (except that, admittedly, it's obscure) or any reason to discount the other Hat, or the two discs of duets on Emanem. I think their blurb writer is just a bit given to overkill('Collectors have waited years. Now it's here. Complete and in the best ever sound. Some of the greatest kazoo playing you never heard. Note-for-note annotation by a tame genius we keep in the cellar.')

I'm surprised not to see more enthusiasm here for the Jamal set. Seems like lots of people on the board have been panting for that one for a long time! I'm not that familiar with Jamal's work, but what I've heard makes me think this might be quite the set, provided the sources permitted them to remaster it with good enough sound. All that about the warehouse fire did sound a bit worrisome, soundwise.

gregmo

Edit--did I really use the word "sound" that much?! :blush2:

Edited by Greg M.

For those of you as fanatical as I am... I called HQ and was able to place a pre-order for the Jamal set... :blush2: :blush2: :blush2: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9CDs.. expected to be out in July...

I am NOW officially done buying CD for 2010!!!!!! and I mean it this time.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Right! Sure! Uh-huh! How many times have I told MYSELF that one?!?!

gregmo

I'm digging it.. :excited:

I'm surprised not to see more enthusiasm here for the Jamal set. Seems like lots of people on the board have been panting for that one for a long time! I'm not that familiar with Jamal's work, but what I've heard makes me think this might be quite the set, provided the sources permitted them to remaster it with good enough sound. All that about the warehouse fire did sound a bit worrisome, soundwise.

gregmo

Edit--did I really use the word "sound" that much?! :blush2:

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Jamal. I held off buying any spanish boots for years, and I continued reading about a Mosaic for years, too... and I - after all - lived well without all the music for years, also... yet I'll be getting this... hopefully before it goes OOP, it'll be a pricey basterd!

These new discoveries (almost two hours of unissued music) greatly expand the Carter/Bradford output, which was heretofore known to be only two albums each on Revelation and Flying Dutchman.

There are lots of other Carter/Bradford releases - why make this obviously Andorran claim?

I recall once owning a Carter/Bradford on one of those small European labels from the late 70's (Moers Music?). Am I wrong?

Yeah, that's right. It's Carter's date.

I have the previously issued material on wax but will be very happy to have this set.

The name "Jamal" always reminds me of the only CD I ever lost: CD 1 from the double-CD "Cross Country Tour: 1958-1961 (Chess)".

Still pi**es me off every time I see that half-empty digipak in my collection.

I love that reissue.

I have absolutely no idea how it could have gotten lost.

It only traveled from shelf to player and back again.

Poof.

Gone.

Checked, double- and triple-checked a million times.

Put it in the wrong cover?

Behind another CD? Different case?

Nope.

Will now replace it with a second copy as, if I'm not mistaken, that material is not on the Mosaic set.

Or is it?

I'm often too weak these days to consult a thread for more than the most basic info.

Things should improve at my end once my health has been brought back to normal via that radio treatment this upcoming weekend.

Until then ... I don't read more than a few lines online a day, if at all.

So, sorry, for not checking this thread thoroughly.

P.S.: The Jamal Mosaic is top-of-the-list for me.

Will buy as soon as it is out.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else find it odd that the price of the 9 cd Jamal set is $149?

Yeah, that is a little odd considering the new price for big boxes is $17 per disc. I wonder if they are experimenting a little bit to see what happens when giving customers a break around the shipping threshold of $150. Total cost with shipping is $159, whereas if it were priced normally at $153 it would be $165.

I don't know if the list is still up-to-date, but I listed the albums that will be included in the box in this post.

It appears that either this set will include a lot of un-issued material, or there will be more recordings included than the ones that Hans lists (perhaps including the Impulse! sessions?). I am hoping for the former.