Leslie Nielsen 1926-2010

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a fan, but I am sorry to see him go. It always seemed to me that Nielsen, in his "second career," was never really in on the joke. When he was cast in "Airplane," it wasn't for his comedic genius. It was because he was just the sort of wooden actor who appeared in disaster movies (and Nielsen did plenty of those). The hilarity grew out of his speaking absurd lines with the same fake-gravitas he used in his dramatic parts. For some reason, he kept getting cast in comedies, and the sad part is that he really seemed to believe that he was a comedian. He did seem to understand that they cast him as a hack actor because he WAS a hack actor.

Nielson played the lead in one of the two best science fiction films from the '50's, Forbidden Planet. I first saw him in a Disney show called The Swamp Fox. If I'm recalling correctly, It was one of those Spin & Marty, Hardy Boys, White Shadow serialized adjuncts to the Mickey Mouse Club. I'm not sure I've ever laughed as hard as I did the first time I saw Naked Gun. That scene where he knocks out the real umpire and winds up calling the baseball game is classic. That guy was definitely responsible for some good laughs. When it's all said and done, that's not a bad way to be remembered. Goodnight, Frank.

I was never a fan, but I am sorry to see him go. It always seemed to me that Nielsen, in his "second career," was never really in on the joke. When he was cast in "Airplane," it wasn't for his comedic genius. It was because he was just the sort of wooden actor who appeared in disaster movies (and Nielsen did plenty of those). The hilarity grew out of his speaking absurd lines with the same fake-gravitas he used in his dramatic parts. For some reason, he kept getting cast in comedies, and the sad part is that he really seemed to believe that he was a comedian. He did seem to understand that they cast him as a hack actor because he WAS a hack actor.

No, what is sad is that an amateur like you is taking hacks at someone like Leslie Nielsen.

"For some reason he kept getting cast in comedies"?

Give me a fucking break.

The idea that Nielsen wasn't in on the joke (and Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges in "Airplane," likewise) is absurd. Not only would these guys have to be unbelievably stupid not to get it, but it would have been unbelievably dangerous for them to be cast in these straight-man-in-the-midst-of-farce roles while keeping them in the dark about the farcical nature of the project.

"Police Squad", Neilsen's short-lived TV series which introduced the Frank Drebin character, was a spoof of the earlier Lee Marvin show "M Squad", which also had a great Benny Carter theme, played by the Count Basie band (and released on Roulette). Ira Newborn 'ripped it off' in the same spirit as the whole show.

The original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHoisdgnDv8

The spoof:

The scene in "Naked Gun" where Drebin forgets to turn off his mike before going to the restroom remains for me one of the funniest scenes ever made.

Not in on the joke my ass. He even said so himself when he was hosting Saturday Night Live once. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was along the lines of "People think I'm funny despite the fact that I really don't do or say anything funny. But people think I'm funny." The only person, ONLY person, who did deadpan better than Leslie Nielsen was the great Margaret Dumont, and she was the first to admit she didn't have a clue what was going on around her. Which made her reactions that much more priceless. THAT is called acting.

RIP Leslie Nielsen. Thanks for the many MANY laughs. I guess we can stop calling you Shirley now.