Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

I am so thrilled about this happening. A dream come true. And can't help dreaming of the next one. Maybe the 1960 tour wirh Coltrane? Or the 1969 quintet? Or some 70's gigs? 

Still wondering if Sony is going to release decent set of the 1975 japanese concerts (unedited set of pangae, agharta & dark magus shows...)?? Or a complete Legacy edition of the early 80's recordings...?

No sign of Mosaic vinyl version (of bootleg series)?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, Dark Magus would really be a ringer in that set as it's recorded in New York City! But yeah, I think there are many who would buy a Japanese 1975 box set. It would be a great set, as would a 1960 set with quality transfers from source tapes. There are a lot of gray market releases out from 1960 now. . . but I'd like to think that many of us would buy an official set.

Some years ago Bob Belden left Columbia in disgust because of problems with Columbia and the estate and real reissues dried up. But that trend seems reversing and we're seeing some good box sets and Legacy two cd sets, etc. I'm hopeful for the future! My biggest wish would be for a complete box set of the Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday Fillmore shows.

The Miles Davis European Tour 1967

1. Oct 28: Antwerp, Belgium

2. Oct 29: London, England, UK

3. Oct 30: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

4. Oct 31: Stockholm, Sweden

5. Nov 1: Helsinki, Finland

6. Nov 2: Copenhagen, Denmark

7. Nov 4: Berlin, Germany

8. Nov 6: Paris, France-

9. Nov 7: Karlsruhe, Germany

What about the rest of the tour?

I have a recording of them at Newport that summer. (I know it's not in Europe but it is the same group.)

Was that too early for Herbie to play any electric keyboards?

Yes, only piano on the 1967 tour.

As for the rest... London hasn't turned up, from Helsinki there are but a few tracks around, but there's are full (compared to Losin's listings, that is) radio captures from Rotterdam, Berlin and Karlsruhe (which is partly on the DVD).

Not sure a Vol. 2 based on these would make that much sense, but hey, I'd get it, too!

Live, yes. I don't think an electric piano was on an actual gig until Chick was in the band (the duffy's gig?).

There is an electric piano on the Boston Jazz Workshop gig from December 1968. I don't remember whether Herbie played the electric piano at any live gigs before Chick replaced him.

Guy

Live, yes. I don't think an electric piano was on an actual gig until Chick was in the band (the duffy's gig?).

Yes, only piano on the 1967 tour.

As for the rest... London hasn't turned up, from Helsinki there are but a few tracks around, but there's are full (compared to Losin's listings, that is) radio captures from Rotterdam, Berlin and Karlsruhe (which is partly on the DVD).

Not sure a Vol. 2 based on these would make that much sense, but hey, I'd get it, too!

There is an electric piano on the Boston Jazz Workshop gig from December 1968. I don't remember whether Herbie played the electric piano at any live gigs before Chick replaced him.

Guy

Thanks, guys.

I doubt we'll see it, but it would be great. They could throw in Newport, and any other '67 appearances possible.

Berkeley April 7, 1967 with Al Stinson!

There are also Portland May 21, 1966 with Richard Davis and the aforementioned Newport July 2, 1967 gig, and then there's Newport July 4, 1966, too! The two from Newport are VOA broadcasts. Portland is given as AUD on Losin, but sounds more like SBD, Berkeley is a radio broadcast. Fabulous stuff, all of it!

Here's "'Round Midnight" from this set, posted by Sony.

Is "Soundcloud" Sony? And what is Soundcloud? They have lost of samples from the set posted.

Someone assured me that it is a Sony/Legacy site, but now that you ask I don't see their logo anywhere. Maybe someone here knows more about it.

Larry, please delete my link if it turns out not to be legit.

Edited by J.A.W.

I think it is the poster of the track, "Legacy Recordings", that may be Sony, not the Soundcloud site itself. The Wikipedia article on Soundcloud mentions nothing about a Sony affiliation.

"Legacy" was a Columbia imprint and is now owned by a Sony. I think you're right in that Sony/Legacy posted it and that the site is not affiliated with them.

Edited by J.A.W.