Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

Price of this has been reduced to $37.50 on Amazon's website. Does that work for everybody?

I preordered this along with the Amazon exclusive 5 disc version of Hendrix Winterland which had a price reduction to $40.99.

What the heck --- you only live once!

At that price, I preordered the Miles too.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they mean about Copenhagen not being released as a bootleg? I've had a recording of this for 9 years.

Interesting.

I know of no commercial release...bootleg or otherwise...of the Copenhagen '67 concert. There is a "Complete Copenhagen Concert" on Magnetic but that's from 1964. Losin lists nothing for Copenhagen '67.

I have three versions of the private recording that's in circulation for the '67 date. They seem to be patched together from three different sources, all with different sound and none with particularly good sound. It is arguably the most unlistenable recording from the tour, though the music is very strong. I'm very intrigued by the possibility that the new box was made from the original sound board recording or, at least, an early generation broadcast. The inclusion of the two unissued tracks from Paris is similarly interesting. If these items are actually in the box, it's as if the producers knew the ropes and had the collectors in mind.

Re: the DVD, I believe it was JSngry that allerted me to the earlier issue on this board. Jazz Loft? I'm wondering if the video quality will be improved.

Ed Rhodes

the original sound board recording or, at least, an early generation broadcast.

Ed Rhodes

It's unlikely in a concert hall, but I remember being amazed at the audacity of a large number of "fans" at the outdoor Nice Jazz Festival back in about 1979 with amazing setups in front of the stage. Each guy had several high-quality mics, little mixing boards, headphones and top-quality cassette machines (battery powered, all) set up in the front row, collecting his own recordings.

Most of the artists simply shook their heads and played on, but I recall Sarah Vaughan looking out, and refusing to go on-stage until they were all taken down. Probably was still taped off the PA system, though.

Re: the DVD, I believe it was JSngry that allerted me to the earlier issue on this board. Jazz Loft? I'm wondering if the video quality will be improved.

Ed Rhodes

Ed, I have the dvd from the Complete Classic Albums box set, as well as the European unofficial DVD. The one from Sony looks and sounds better, substantially.

• 2 weeks later...

This set is now available for pre-order on all the Amazon Euro sites at attractive prices.

Amazon UK seems to be the cheapest at 17.5 pounds. After deducting VAT that is less than $29 including shipping to the US and slighly higher for me.

Maybe time to cancel those Amazon.com orders!

Amazon UK seems to be the cheapest at 17.5 pounds.

Thanks for that - I was hoping that they would step up to the mark. Along with their great prices on the new Vocalions, Amazon UK offer some superb deals at present. No wonder all the brick and mortar stores are going bust. :(

My thanks too, pre-ordered today. Too good to miss at that price even if I do have some of the music already.

This set is about 20 years overdue. Better late than never. It's now $40 on Amazon, which is not bad for 3 CDs + 1 DVD.

So we know it includes on CD:

Antwerp 10/28/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

And on DVD:

Stockholm 10/31/67

Karlsruhe 11/7/67

For the CDs, were any of these actually released as European bootlegs (JMY or other), and if so, under what titles? I think I have some of Paris (believe it or not, as a Miles Davis Gold Collection which I got for $4), but not the others. I think the parts of Paris that were released were on a CD called No Blues.

As for volume 2, I suspect it will the lost quintet from '69. I hope they don't use the same DVD that was in the Bitches Brew 2-CD set.

Bertrand.

PS: Alankin, why do you think one track on the DVD might be a problem?

Edited by bertrand

I recently had the opportunity to see some photos in the Sony production files that look like the 1961 Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall concert/recording with the Gil Evans Orch and his current quintet of the time. Maybe those are coming out again with some new music and better sound.

Edited by marcello

This set is about 20 years overdue. Better late than never. It's now $40 on Amazon, which is not bad for 3 CDs + 1 DVD.

So we know it includes on CD:

Antwerp 10/28/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

And on DVD:

Stockholm 10/31/67

Karlsruhe 11/7/67

For the CDs, were any of these actually released as European bootlegs (JMY or other), and if so, under what titles? I think I have some of Paris (believe it or not, as a Miles Davis Gold Collection which I got for $4), but not the others. I think the parts of Paris that were released were on a CD called No Blues.

Antwerp came out as 'Masqualero' from the German bootleg label Jazz Birdie's of Paradise

135882-170x170_fl.jpg

I have both the JMY of Paris (sounds OK) and the Bird of Paradise of Antwerp (doesn't sound so good, and I think there are a couple of clumsy edits). As we all keep saying, it will be great to have this stuff in what will HOPEFULLY be transfered from first generation radio tapes...

There have been several other releases as well.

Antwerp was released quite a while ago as "His Greatest Concert Ever" on Jazzman. I think that was the first 2nd quartet boot that I ever saw on CD. Paris 11/06 was also issued as No Blues on JMY. I don't think that I have ever seen the Copenhagen concert on a boot, however.

Antwerp was released quite a while ago as "His Greatest Concert Ever" on Jazzman. I think that was the first 2nd quartet boot that I ever saw on CD. Paris 11/06 was also issued as No Blues on JMY. I don't think that I have ever seen the Copenhagen concert on a boot, however.

I have both of those, plus the two videos. Is there a Rotterdam too, or is that 1969 (you may have given me a copy)?

What I really love about that tour is how different the concerts are. For instance, Paris is exploratory but Antwerp is much more intense. I think Karlsruhe is a better performance than Stockholm.

By the way, there was a Japanese Sony release of one of the 1969 Juan Les Pins concerts and they were supposed to release another, but I never saw it. Anybody know about this?

I have both of those, plus the two videos. Is there a Rotterdam too, or is that 1969 (you may have given me a copy)?

What I really love about that tour is how different the concerts are. For instance, Paris is exploratory but Antwerp is much more intense. I think Karlsruhe is a better performance than Stockholm.

By the way, there was a Japanese Sony release of one of the 1969 Juan Les Pins concerts and they were supposed to release another, but I never saw it. Anybody know about this?

I have a Rotterdam concert from 11/09/69, although not on CD. Was there a Rotterdam concert recorded in 67 as well?

I have a Rotterdam concert from 11/09/69, although not on CD. Was there a Rotterdam concert recorded in 67 as well?

I just checked. I do have a Rotterdam 1967, recorded 2 days after Antwerp. You can find it on blogs and torrents I'm sure. But looking at my shelf it turns out it was a Holland date from the 1960 tour you gave me a burn of.

The CDs should include the following concerts, sourced from broadcast tapes:

Rotterdam 10/30/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

As for the DVD, it should be of the Stockholm and Karlsruhe performances but there might be a dispute over rights to one of the tunes.

Ah, I see Alan already mentioned Amsterdam.

I just checked. I do have a Rotterdam 1967, recorded 2 days after Antwerp. You can find it on blogs and torrents I'm sure. But looking at my shelf it turns out it was a Holland date from the 1960 tour you gave me a burn of.

Found it! (Rotterdam, 1967). Good concert, excellent sound. :tup:tup:tup