Remastered Woody Shaw

Hardbopjazz

Why can't they market us the disc of unreleased music separately? :angry:

Guess you never took a marketing class. :unsure:

I am not at all sure that this is a smart marketing strategy in this day and age. Sure, there are probably a number of people who will buy this set only because of the single new disc. But I bet that there are a lot more people like me, who would have gladly pre-ordered a single release of disc 3 for $25, but will now wait and download it somewhere for free without any feelings of guilt.

I make a point of not taking free downloads of music that is commercially available. But if a music company wants to play dirty with me, trying to force me to re-purchase music that I have already have, technology now allows me to play dirty too.

I am not at all sure that this is a smart marketing strategy in this day and age. Sure, there are probably a number of people who will buy this set only because of the single new disc. But I bet that there are a lot more people like me, who would have gladly pre-ordered a single release of disc 3 for $25, but will now wait and download it somewhere for free without any feelings of guilt.

I make a point of not taking free downloads of music that is commercially available. But if a music company wants to play dirty with me, trying to force me to re-purchase music that I have already have, technology now allows me to play dirty too.

I understand where you are coming form with your statement. I have the other material and can't see buy the same music a second time for the one live disc. But if I stumble upon a 50 dollar bill floating in the wind, I will use it to by this release.

You got "standards" ... "jazz originals"

That's my preferred terminology.

(In case anyone always wanted to know...)

And when something gets lyrics..."Stain Doll" falls into all categories!

Stain Doll? That's when you pull out of the Warm Valley just in time? :crazy:

As for the marketing discussion... that kind of thinking seems to be a major reason why so many things are in such a rotten state these days... and why many non-thinking folks don't even seem to take notice of that.

And I did finally cave in and order the box... albeit having the Mosaic as well as LP and CD of "Stepping Stones".

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice package, and nice to have that cut that Michael Cuscuna left off "Stepping Stones" because it was too "commercial" (or whatever word he used). (And what does he have against a tune like that? Many people bought albums FOR a track like that!) (Don't think many people bought "The Sidewinder" for Gary's Notebook...)

I bought the set (fully agreed on its merits) and was given a coupon code SAVE10NOW for 10% off my next order. Passing this along - maybe it'll work for others. I'm currently on the fence re. using it to order the Paul Desmond / RCA "complete albums" set...

• 1 month later...

I understand where you are coming form with your statement. I have the other material and can't see buy the same music a second time for the one live disc. But if I stumble upon a 50 dollar bill floating in the wind, I will use it to by this release.

Good news: Woody III has made the 5 Stepping Stones bonus cuts available as MP3s at Amazon.

I can live with this solution to the problem.

Bertrand.

• 11 months later...