Ricky Ford

Hardbopjazz

By the late 70s Ricky Ford replaced George Adams in the Mingus band. I was listening tonight to a Mingus show on Wolfgang's vault and was impressed by his playing. I really don't know anything by or with him outside of the Mingus. Anyone else enjoy his playing? Any other records worth checking out with Ricky Ford?

With Mingus he was a young up and comer (maybe 18), a shadow of the monster he'd become.

These are from a fun live gig that I caught in the '89.

51yRsKddxYL._SL500_AA300_.jpgMI0002470832.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

He's been in Europe for at least the last 10 years, so I'm not up on his more recent stuff.

This is a good one:

037550.jpg

Ricky-Sextet-Ford-Songs-for-My-Mother.jpg

As is this one:

davis_richa_totalpack_101b.jpg

There's a third Candid with that group. They're all nuts, those albums.

51oq%2BdhsL2L._SS500_.jpg

Then there's the two sides w/Mal Waldon on

5189vpOkNnL._SS500_.jpg51Vq66geuhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ford's Muse sides make an interesting journey taken as a whole. Sometimes you find them as cutouts, so be on the lookout.

Ricky Ford kinda started out kinda funny, like he was going to end up like a hardboppy Scott Hamilton or some such. But then he started going kinda left (well, not really "going" in was in there from the beginning (and oh yeah, don't miss his recordings with Ran Blake, none of them), and next thing you know, he's playing really, really intensely all the time. Those Candid sides get "uncomfortable" at times, in a good way, if you know what I mean.

And now, I guess he lives in France.

For another side of Ford's personality, check out the albums he did as a member of Abdullah Ibrahim's Ekaya group. There are 3 or 4 from about 1983 to 1990 or so.

I can recommend his recording with Abdullah Ibrahim. Ford really made a big impression live with Ekaya. Ford can also be heard on Ran Blake's highly praised (Penguin Guide) The Short Life Of Barbara Monk.

Oh yeah, those Waldron albums. Fantastic. Both Ford & Fortune are smoking.

Given that today is the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and that many believe that the mystery of TWA Flight 800 hasn't really been solved, Ricky Ford's sad connection to Wayne Shorter should be mentioned, and the victims of that 1996 crash also remembered in our prayers.

I knew about Wayne's wife. What's the Ford connection?

Oh yeah, those Waldron albums. Fantastic. Both Ford & Fortune are smoking.

Given that today is the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and that many believe that the mystery of TWA Flight 800 hasn't really been solved, Ricky Ford's sad connection to Wayne Shorter should be mentioned, and the victims of that 1996 crash also remembered in our prayers.

I knew about Wayne's wife. What's the Ford connection?

His mom was on the flight on her way to visit him in Paris.

I enjoy all of his Muse lps. I think 32 Jazz (with Ricky's assistance IIRC) pulled together a best-of compilation, but nothing else on CD.

Most, maybe all, of the Muse albums were released as Muse CDs before Muse folded up tent. Both the CDs and the LPs do turn up as cutouts on occasion and can be found.

I enjoy all of his Muse lps. I think 32 Jazz (with Ricky's assistance IIRC) pulled together a best-of compilation, but nothing else on CD.

Most, maybe all, of the Muse albums were released as Muse CDs before Muse folded up tent. Both the CDs and the LPs do turn up as cutouts on occasion and can be found.

Correct you are - in fact I have a couple of them. I am clearly losing it ... :crazy: