• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, optatio said:

IMG_0005 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0006 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0007 (Copy).jpg

I´m glad I saw both "Spoon" and "McShann" live, but not together, but in different concerts. 

What´s new for me is, that those old 40´s recordings are on Black Lion.
I always had considered Black Lion as a label of the sixties, which recorded American Expatriats in Europe, like Don Byas, Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins in Germany, Bud Powell, Philly J.J, and so on.

13 hours ago, rostasi said:

082301.jpg

Is this an unknown session ? The last Leo Parker I have is those two BN "Rollin with Leo" and so. 

I kike Leo Parker from the good old bop days, with Tadd, with Fats and so, and of course those two BN, though I would have wished to hear him with a better rhythm section. 

On 8/23/2023 at 11:43 AM, optatio said:

Eckstine (Copy).JPG

IMG_0002 (Copy).jpg

oh yes, this one, then the Spotlite live stuff , and all of Dizzy´s 40´s big band stuff. I love it all. 

For several purposes: First of all, if you are an instrumental player, just listen to the ballads like Billy Eckstine does them and you get a lot of feeling you can transpond in your one axe,

And as small band player you can learn a lot about bop too, a  lot of them heads, out chorusses, those typical Tadd Dameron voiced fill in´s , it´s really so lot stuff and learning potential, I love it. 

Primary

First listen to this new arrival. Purchased this week after a mention on a thread here.  I can't remember where or who, possibly @JSngry, whoever it was, thank you. This is so up my street

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Akosh S. Unit – Imafa

R-1522655-1289690999.jpg

How's that? 

I have him playing on someone else's date somewhere and unless I can remember who that is I might not hear it again for a long time...I remember being impressed

11 hours ago, T.D. said:

MjctNjkyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

NzUtMTY5OC5qcGVn.jpeg

The latter the Cool Jojo +4 edition with bonus tracks.

I really like the GinParis Session. I have the LP of the JoJo in the post to me at the moment

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Okay. I like his playing but I don't like the composition. It is a bit folk/metal adjacent 1990s crowd pleaser. I'd like to hear him in other settings.

Thanks. I shall trawl through the CD collection to find him, with Leandre is my first thought