RIP Chick Corea

ghost of miles

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Tens of thousands of sales of what was probably a good album lost because of that.

It got to #4 on the Billboard Jazz album charts, #86 on the Billboard Top 200 charts, and won a grammy for best jazz album, so it didn't get hurt too bad.   

1 minute ago, felser said:

It got to #4 on the Billboard Jazz album charts, #86 on the Billboard Top 200 charts, and won a grammy for best jazz album, so it didn't get hurt too bad.   

The reaction in Europe was incredulous though as Father Abraham and his smurfing chums were about the least hip thing out there. Totally naff !

Edited by sidewinder

16 minutes ago, felser said:

Yes, a good record, and I still recall it as a welcome respite from all the over-composed (imo) bombast (again, imo) that he got into starting with Romantic Warrior...i lost a lot of patience with him after all that, although the things that weren't that (including the Echoes Of An Era record with Chaka Khan & Joe Henderson, an unlikely GOOD record) still caught my ear. The Trio Music records, the ongoing duets with Burton, the list goes on, they were all like, ok, where has THIS guy been? It was like he had two minds, one for pure music, one for pure spectacle, and damned if I could figure out when he was bothering to make a difference.

But you know, some people earn that right (or probably more accurately, recognize that right within themself), and he was one of them.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 6:36 AM, BFrank said:

RIP, Chick

I first saw him in 74 at the Troubador in LA with the first electric RTF (Bill Connors). Then 3 or 4 more times in the 70s. Didn't see him again until 2015 at SFJAZZ with Christian McBride and Brian Blade. Nice trio!

Does anyone know if the original RTF (Flora, Airto, Clarke and Joe Farrell) ever performed live or toured? I've never seen a video or heard any live recordings. I would have loved to see that lineup. The ECM album is probably my favorite of all of his albums.

May-be this is the TV-video program,. Yo-morrow , sunday 14* february ., I will see this video, and then I will tell You

more right Informactions,.!!,. Ciao , fabio - fabiodrummy@gmail.com    

- D V D - V i d e o .......  CHICK   COREA ,piano  ................
-344.3-Germania-??-tv’.s..+JOE FARRELL.sax.+.stanley
      clarke.cb.,.drs.?? +.vcl.??.1972., t.42 ., bw .

3 minutes ago, Fabio Baglioni said:

May-be this is the TV-video program,. Yo-morrow , sunday 14* february ., I will see this video, and then I will tell You

more right Informactions,.!!,. Ciao , fabio - fabiodrummy@gmail.com    

- D V D - V i d e o .......  CHICK   COREA ,piano  ................
-344.3-Germania-??-tv’.s..+JOE FARRELL.sax.+.stanley
      clarke.cb.,.drs.?? +.vcl.??.1972., t.42 ., bw .

Interesting!

I only saw Chick twice -- both times with the Kansas City Symphony (and never in a true jazz setting).  First time performing his own rather nice Piano Concerto (and I might have even gone back to hear it again the next night, though I can't remember for sure -- I often did such things, whenever I could finagle another cheap or often FREE ticket the next night, by taking my ticket stub from the night before, and asking at the box office if there were any tickets (good seats) that might have been turned in by subscribers within just the last couple hours -- helped that I was a subscriber myself back then).

And the second time was some Mozart piano concerto, which he improvised 2 or 3 cadenzas for (in decidedly anachronistic ways) -- which I remember liking as far as it goes -- but it was still Mozart (which I've never had much fondness for generally).

Heard him at a pre-concert talk and Q&A before the piano concerto, iirc -- and had him autograph my booklet for Now He Sings...

Did anyone else here catch Chick performing his own Piano Concerto live, by any chance?  Quite a satisfying work, and I revisit the official release a fair bit, and my wife likes it a lot too! (She was with me both times we heard him with the KC Symphony.)

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes, a good record, and I still recall it as a welcome respite from all the over-composed (imo) bombast (again, imo) that he got into starting with Romantic Warrior...i lost a lot of patience with him after all that, although the things that weren't that (including the Echoes Of An Era record with Chaka Khan & Joe Henderson, an unlikely GOOD record) still caught my ear. The Trio Music records, the ongoing duets with Burton, the list goes on, they were all like, ok, where has THIS guy been? It was like he had two minds, one for pure music, one for pure spectacle, and damned if I could figure out when he was bothering to make a difference.

But you know, some people earn that right (or probably more accurately, recognize that right within themself), and he was one of them.

I liked it all, the bombast as well as the non-bombast, with the exception of the Elektric Band material (which I have not comprehensively explored, but am utterly turned off by the Marienthal and Gambale work on what I have heard).  I actually love "Romantic Warrior" and even dig the MusicMagic type stuff.

6 hours ago, BlueSpirits said:

I always had a soft spot for this album(unrelated to bad/good album covers)

Roy Haynes and Chick have some interesting back and forth.

corea-haynes-vitous-trio-music-live-europe-album-cover.jpg

I love this record — in fact, the first side (with the standards) might be my favorite Chick of all. I wish I could have heard this trio live. My older brother heard them at the Vanguard in the early 80s — he went five of six nights. Roy Haynes wore a different cowboy hat every night. There must be bootleg tapes of this trio, but I’ve never heard them. 

I did hear him live at least 11 times. 

Solo piano (2018 in a 60-seat club)

Trio with McBride, Blade

Trio with Gomez, Blade

Trio with Clarke, White

Akoustic Trio with Patitucci, Weckl 

Duo with Herbie

Duo with Gary Burton

Origin sextet

Five Peace Band with McLaughlin, Garrett, McBride, Blade (in for Colaiuta)

Freedom Band with Garrett, McBride, Haynes

With Detroit Symphony and small group 

I listened to this last night:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.discogs.com%2FSwOLq

Was this the first recording of the tune "Return To Forever"?  Personnel is pretty intense on this track: Hubert Laws, Joe Farrell, Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Ron Carter, Airto and Flora Purim.

Edited by mjzee

10 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Was this the first recording of the tune "Return To Forever"?  

No.  Not the first recording.

Chick recorded the album (and Song) Return to Forever for ECM on February 2 & 3, 1972.

Airto recorded Free in March and April of 1972.  So Airto's version was a month or two after the original Chick/RTF band recording.

However, Chick's ECM LP wasn't released in the U.S. until 1975.  

So Airto's version is most likely the first version that people heard -- especially if they lived in the U.S.

5 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I listened to this last night:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.discogs.com%2FSwOLq

Was this the first recording of the tune "Return To Forever"?  Personnel is pretty intense on this track: Hubert Laws, Joe Farrell, Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Ron Carter, Airto and Flora Purim.

That one shows as being recorded March 23 and April 12, 13, and 20, 1972

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_(Airto_album)

RTF did there's ever so slightly earlier, 2 & 3 February 1972

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Forever_(Chick_Corea_album)

Also on that album, Keith JArrett and his soon to be standard "Lucky Southern"...a standard that he himself never recorded outside of this record?!?!?!

You look at tat record and it's personnel...you can trace it back to, basically, Miles & Duke Pearson, almost everybody on there. Don't know that it's my favorite Airto record of that period (that's probably Fingers), but...impossible to overlook it and the audience it has drawn, then and now.

It's kinda funny that in 1972, Keith was actually the more overtly populist performer. Chick, still re-orienting himself towards "communication", Keith making taht duet record with Gary Burton (which actually was pretty popular, as I recall), and writing stuff like this:

Dear  ,, JazzFans ,,  there is a  ''RARE'' video  of..: Chick Corea  in * Classic *...
This Live concert was played here in Roma,. Ciao , fabio ,.-

-1047,1-CHICK COREA, p & 'Orchestra Sinfonica' ..
  Live in Roma at  ''Accademia  of  ^Santa Cecilia^...,t,36'.
  5* April , 2000. M°.Steven Mercurio ''MOZART,K.466''..

-x-)2^Set) CHICK COREA,p,TRIO + Orchestra Sinfonica..
  Aveshai Cohen,cb , Jeff Ballard,dr ,Live Roma in ..
  ''Santa Cecilia'' 5*April ,2000, M°Steven Mercurio ,
  ''Concerto Nr,1 for pianoforte & Orchestra''  ..,t,.35'..

...............…

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

However, Chick's ECM LP wasn't released in the U.S. until 1975.  

So Airto's version is most likely the first version that people heard -- especially if they lived in the U.S.

In Europe, it was probably the other way round - release date for ECM RTF LP according to the ECM website was July 1, 1972. Airto's CTI album had a release date of October 24, 1972.