Pim

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, felser said:

Talking about A Love Supreme 3cd issue can. 2012, which has about 15 mins of extra outtakes not on the 2CD set (which had room for them).  Milk that sacred cow 'til it"s dry...

Only 15 minutes extra? Hopefully I can find a friend to hook me up...

12 hours ago, mjzee said:

I was referring to the book The John Coltrane Reference:

51vL2mKghxL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yes, that book would indicate that Coltrane was booked at the Penthouse for a whole week in 65.  

John Coltrane Sextet

PERSONNELJohn Coltrane, tenor and soprano saxophones; Pharoah Sanders, tenor saxophone; McCoy Tyner, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Donald Garrett, bass, bass clarinet; Elvin Jones, drums; Joe Brazil and/or Carlos Ward, alto saxophone, may have sat in during some sets

September 27–October 2, 1965 (Monday through Saturday, one week). Penthouse, Seattle, WA (1st & Cherry, foot of Cherry St.).

From the Seattle Times (Monday, Sept. 27, 1965, p. 22): “Jazz Star: John Coltrane, a leading f gure in jazz music, will play one week at the Penthouse beginning this evening.” Reviewed by Ed Baker (“At Penthouse: Coltrane Sounds Like Nobody Else in World of Jazz,” Seattle Times, Wednesday, Sept. 29, 1965, p. 48):

Edited by John L

2 hours ago, John L said:

Yes, that book would indicate that Coltrane was booked at the Penthouse for a whole week in 65.  

John Coltrane Sextet

PERSONNELJohn Coltrane, tenor and soprano saxophones; Pharoah Sanders, tenor saxophone; McCoy Tyner, piano; Jimmy Garrison, bass; Donald Garrett, bass, bass clarinet; Elvin Jones, drums; Joe Brazil and/or Carlos Ward, alto saxophone, may have sat in during some sets

September 27–October 2, 1965 (Monday through Saturday, one week). Penthouse, Seattle, WA (1st & Cherry, foot of Cherry St.).

From the Seattle Times (Monday, Sept. 27, 1965, p. 22): “Jazz Star: John Coltrane, a leading f gure in jazz music, will play one week at the Penthouse beginning this evening.” Reviewed by Ed Baker (“At Penthouse: Coltrane Sounds Like Nobody Else in World of Jazz,” Seattle Times, Wednesday, Sept. 29, 1965, p. 48):

OK.  I had forgotten about the funky/confusing structure of the book.  Your extract was from page 330 (in the "Chronology" section).  I looked at page 743 (in the "Discography" section).  The Discography section only lists the 9/30/65 Penthouse date and the 10/1/65 Camelot Sound Studios "Om" date.  We will see whether additional tapes emerge from that week.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, JSngry said:

I'm very much a fan of ...Vanguard Again, especially "Naima". Especially Pharoah...his most "vocal" playing ever, perhaps, at least from this early period.

And the full Live In Japan...don't know that I'd say that I'm a "fan" of it per se, but I do find it very...compelling, just not all once, becuase it wasn't played all at once.

I feel similar to you about both of those.  The 1966 live dates feel more "settled" than Live in Seattle, like the band was moving in a specific direction

On 8/15/2021 at 9:37 PM, Pim said:

Well I know that one bootleg but I doubt it’s that. Audio quality is so immensely bad I don’t think even the best engineer could make something out of it. And I don’t see Impulse! releasing such a product.

I don't think the sound is that bad!  Certainly better than the sound of the August 1965 Chicago live recording w/Archie Shepp or the 1967 Olatunji center recording.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, felser said:

Re: Pharoah in that period.  'Tauhid' is a very interesting album, and his playing on it does not sound like what he was doing with Trane.

Pharoah's career trajectory and post-Trane music ended up pretty similar IMHO to Tyner and Jones's, and there were hints of that as early as Tauhid

Edited by Guy Berger

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I feel similar to you about both of those.  The 1966 live dates feel more "settled" than Live in Seattle, like the band was moving in a specific direction

I don't think the sound is that bad!  Certainly better than the sound of the August 1965 Chicago live recording w/Archie Shepp or the 1967 Olatunji center recording.

Tell me more about the 1965 live date with Shepp...

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Pharoah's career trajectory and post-Trane music ended up pretty similar IMHO to Tyner and Jones's, and there were hints of that as early as Tauhid

Except....Phraoah would occasionally do a thing like that Franklin Kiermeyer date that would scare the shit out of you like it was 1966, only with even more chops.

And then, back to normal.

3 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

The 1966 live dates feel more "settled" than Live in Seattle, like the band was moving in a specific direction

Alice and Ali were all in, where Tyner and Elvin were heading to the exits.  I actually like Concert in Japan quite a bit, my  go-to for that group (along with the VV Again "My Favorite Things").

Edited by felser

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

Tell me more about the 1965 live date with Shepp...

From Losin:

John Coltrane Quartet + Archie Shepp
Soldiers Field, Chicago

[Return to list]

August 15, 1965 (1 item; TT = 37:27)
Soldiers Field, Chicago
Source/Quality: aud (B-)

John Coltrane (ts); Archie Shepp (ts); McCoy Tyner (p); Jimmy Garrison (b); Elvin Jones (d); Billy Taylor (ann)

1 Nature Boy - Blue Valse 37:27

Announcement 37:16-37:27

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 11:20 PM, Guy Berger said:

John Coltrane Quartet + Archie Shepp
Soldiers Field, Chicago

[Return to list]

August 15, 1965 (1 item; TT = 37:27)
Soldiers Field, Chicago
Source/Quality: aud (B-)

John Coltrane (ts); Archie Shepp (ts); McCoy Tyner (p); Jimmy Garrison (b); Elvin Jones (d); Billy Taylor (ann)

1 Nature Boy - Blue Valse 37:27

Announcement 37:16-37:27

Firstly, the venue is Soldier Field and secondly, I was there.

18 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Firstly, the venue is Soldier Field and secondly, I was there.

Chuck, could you share more about this? Coltrane, live, in a football stadium? My brain can’t fathom a venue like that, for practically any kind of jazz concert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Field

Out on the field? On a raised stage on the 50 yard line? I’m trying to imagine it, and can’t.

Trane w/ Archie Shepp, in a stadium? :blink:

Are there any pictures of the Solder Field event? Trane, or Blakey? Or anybody?

Are there any pictures that show the whole scene? (Something other than tight shots of the artists.) Really, of any of the lineups listed above. Or any other similar events at Soldier Field.

The idea that this was part of a larger jazz festival suddenly makes it all make more sense. I had visions of a one-off concert with Trane as the headliner, and a couple openers — none of which made ANY sense to me for that kind of venue. But a multi-day jazz fest is totally plausible, and a horse of a different color entirely (and silly me for not figuring that out myself).

Edited by Rooster_Ties