Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

Guest ariceffron

OK OK LET ME EXPLAIN MYSELF A LITTLE BETTER:::

I WAS INTO WARNE FOR A WHILE BUT I WAS STILL HEAVY INTO BLUE NOTE AT THE TIME ETC. TIME PERIOD: THE TAIL END OF THE INTERNET FREE MP3 TRADING ERA BEFORE THE BUST ENDED IT AS WE ALL KNEW IT. I WAS ON A WEIRD P2P PROGRAM CALLED "I MESH" WHICH PROBABLY IS OUT OF BUSINESS. WELL ONE DAY A CHICK, YES A CHICK, HAD LOGGED ON AND SHE HAD ALL THIS EARLY 80S WARNE, SOME STUFF YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE. WARNE WITH SAL MOSCA AT THE VANGUARD, EVEN WARNE IN 1985 WITH A B3 BACKING HIM UP. EVEN WARNE WITH A VOCALIST IN SOME LONG ISLAND CLUB IN THE MID 80S. ALL THIS AMAZING STUFF. WELL IN PARTICULAR IT WAS IN THIS MATERIAL THAT I HEARD THE GREATEST TENOR SAX SOLO I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. I HAVE NEVER HEARD A MOBLEY SOLO, A TRANE SOLO, A BEAN SOLO, OR EVEN A PREZ SOLO AS GOOD AS THE WARNE SOLO I HEARD FROM THE VANGUARD IN 1981, ON SOUND-LEE. AND I HAVE HEARD MANY OTHER RECORDINGS OF THAT TUNE AND THEY ALL DIDNT COMPARE. SO MAYBE THATS WHY IM SO UPSET THAT THIS THREAD. BEACUSE IT WAS THIS RECORDING WHICH TURNED ME ONTO WARNE FOREVER.

Guest ariceffron

ITS FROM THE WEST END CAFE I BELIEVE AND ITS ALL THE THING YOU ARE AND YES YOU CAN HAVE IT BUT I WOULD ENJOY A COPY OF THAT UNRELEASED BLAKEY SESSION WHICH HAS BEEN PASSING AROUND ON THIS BOARD

I'm really not the one to ask about what recordings are available. I'm not sure what this says about me, but I don't even have all of pop's known studio recordings, let alone the obscure stuff. I've got pop in the blood, and I make my own music, so I guess I never felt the drive. The main reason why I'd like to get more is to give them to Warne's grand kids (when they come to be), and that's it. But thanks for asking :-)

What's a B3?

What's a B3?

RC94.jpg

From http://chetday.com/vitaminbdeficiencies.html

Vitamin B-3 is important to the proper functioning of the nervous system and aids in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. It also plays a role in the production of hydrochloric acid and is involved in the normal secretion of bile and digestive fluids.

B-3 is available in two forms, niacin and niacinamide. The body's need for B-3 is satisfied by either form, but in doses larger than those obtained from food, they have very different effects in the body. 

Niacin lowers LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, increases beneficial HDL cholesterol, increases circulation, improves brain function by enhancing the oxygen carrying ability of the red blood cells, regulates blood flow in memory tissue, and has the ability to mobilize fat from cells into the blood. Niacin also strengthens GABA, which is a calming neurotransmitter.

Niacin can cause a somewhat irritating but harmless flushing when first taking a dose of 50 milligrams or more. A no-flush variety, inositol hexanicotinate is the only form of time release niacin that is recommended; other forms of time-release niacin are a liver irritant and should not be consumed.

Niacinamide does not cause flushing, will not lower cholesterol or improve circulation, but has other benefits. It has been used since the 1940's to reduce insulin requirements of diabetics and has been found to be very effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis.

Deficiency Symptoms

A severe deficiency of B-3 and the amino acid tryptophan will result in Pellagra, which manifests itself in marked dermatitis, dementia, and diarrhea. A moderate deficiency can cause these symptoms to a lesser degree.

Food Sources

Niacin is found in brewer’s or nutritional yeast, liver, broccoli, carrots, cheese, eggs, fish, raw milk, peanuts, potatoes, tomatoes, dandelion greens, and wheat germ.

Dosage Range

If using pure crystalline niacin, start with a dose of 100 milligrams three times a day and carefully increase the dosage over a period of 4 to 6 weeks to the full therapeutic dose of 1.5 to 3 grams daily in divided doses. If you are using inositol hexaniacinate, begin with 500 milligrams three times daily for 2 weeks and then increase to 1,000 milligrams. It is best to take either crystalline niacin or inositol hexaniacinate with meals (Murray, 1996: 96).

Contraindications

Those suffering from diabetes, glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers should use niacin supplements cautiously. Consuming over 500 mg per day for an extended length of time may result in liver damage.

And from http://www.netfit.co.uk/vit3.htm we learn that Vitamin B-3 is

Required for the synthesis of sex hormones

So...

e6150969yd5.jpg

Slow release? That's nasty, but funny.

I want to thank everyone for the continued support and good spirits.

You may be interested to know that while I was living in Oregon, I met and befriended Steve Tristano, Lennie's eldest son. He looked and sounded EXACTLY like his father. He was studying dance and music at the University of Oregon at the time. A very sweet, sweet man.

From what I can remeber, my father tended to shun electric instruments, except for the elec. guitar since that was/is the standard for jazz. The only recording of his that I know of that features electric keys is Chuck's "All Music". He probably wouldn't care for the fact that I play the elec. bass. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...