Andrew Hill--composer

Milestones

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Cal Massey left behind a really solid body of work, but only had one record under his own name. He had to depend others recording his work, and although he had some amazingly heavy hitters doing that.. they all had their own careers and music's to take care of.

Archie Shepp probably(?) was the most regular advocate, but... 

I was surprised Blue Note never put together a 'Blue Note plays Cal Massey' compilation CD. They did a Beatles one.

Yes, it is too bad Cal rarely got to record his music but he was well served by the heavy hitters. Is it possible they did not quite play it the way he intended it to be played? Maybe. But when you have Wayne tearing it up on Assunta like he does, I can't imagine it played any better. Whew.

Zane Massey has a project called Cosmic Surf Club that mostly plays Cal's music. I doubt that is the way Cal intended it to be played 😀

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

Yes, it is too bad Cal rarely got to record his music but he was well served by the heavy hitters.

He was, but the lack of a leader presence kinda leaves a diffuse picture of who "Cal Massey" was, doesn't it? It's almost he was a songwriter, not a singular composer.