Radio still has the greatest reach.

GA Russell

"91 percent of U.S. adults listen to the radio at least once a week, far exceeding the reach of live and time-shifted TV at 76 percent, social media at 70 percent an online video at 67 percent.

While radio does win in terms of sheer reach, TV remains unparalleled with respect to average daily usage.

According to Nielsen, U.S. adults spent an average of 3 hours and 41 minutes watching live and time-shifted TV in Q3 2020, which is roughly 2.5 times the amount of time they spent listening to the radio (1 hour and 31 minutes)."

11 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

1-2 hrs of NPR every morning in our household, 7 days a week (usually closer to 2 hrs).

My wife also listens online to a Kansas City sports talk radio station a LOT during college basketball season, and in recent years recently when The Chiefs were/are doing so well.

Tom - please tell me she is rooting for the Jayhawks 😁

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How much "radio" listening is done via an actual radio, and how much is done via a streaming device?

Or are we calling those "radios" now?

Yeah, that is key.  Ms. TTK has been in public media since the 1990s.  She encounters younger persons who work for public media who have never owned a radio, and wouldn't know how to operate one.

21 minutes ago, Eric said:

Tom - please tell me she is rooting for the Jayhawks 😁

She went to KU, and they’re her favorite team across any and all sports, by a mile!m

When we lived back in KC, every year she would kick me out of the house during the Big 12 and Final Four — and I would systematically hit every used CD store for 50 miles and go through their stock A-Z, each store — jazz, rock, and classical.

Probably a quarter of my used CD purchases for a decade there were those 5-6 weeks in the spring every year, like clockwork! 😄

Edited by Rooster_Ties

33 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yeah, that is key.  Ms. TTK has been in public media since the 1990s.  She encounters younger persons who work for public media who have never owned a radio, and wouldn't know how to operate one.

If their cars are pre-installed with Sirius, at the minimum, they know how to operate one.  

The sum total of my listening is 8-10 seconds of a Sirius commercial whenever I remove the media being used on the car stereo (CD or thumb drive).

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

If their cars are pre-installed with Sirius, at the minimum, they know how to operate one.  

I have no idea what they drive, but I can tell you that none of the cars that we have purchased new over the past 15 years or so have been pre-installed with Sirius. I've never used it.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

11 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

She went to KU, and they’re her favorite team across any and all sports, by a mile!m

When we lived back in KC, every year she would kick me out of the house during the Big 12 and Final Four — and I would systematically hit every used CD store for 50 miles and go through their stock A-Z, each store — jazz, rock, and classical.

Probably a quarter of my used CD purchases for a decade there were those 5-6 weeks in the spring every year, like clockwork! 😄

Ha - so I have something in common with both you and your wife!  Maybe I bumped into you at halftime. 😁 Jazz and KU bball ... I learned to appreciate both in the early 1980s 😊

I listen to radio, at most, about 20 minutes per week--and that's not regular.  For quite a few weeks it would be zero.

But when I was first getting into jazz in the early 80's, I was big on some college radio stations--since some played a great deal of jazz.  I picked up a lot of information and appreciation of jazz through radio.

23 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The sum total of my listening is 8-10 seconds of a Sirius commercial whenever I remove the media being used on the car stereo (CD or thumb drive).

We have had free trial offers of Sirius on the last two cars we bought and never activated them. Although retired after 26 years in public radio, where I still produce a weekly jazz show, I rarely listen to radio unless my wife is driving or Ian checking to see that the station staff loaded the correct program, which they have messed up at least once. There are far too many new releases and acquisitions for me to spend time listening to radio in the car.

Yes, it seems that for about 7 or 8 years the Sirius offer is present on a new car radio. I can't imagine using it. My listening to the radio is limited to NPR mostly in the car and an independent classical station there and at home. I like it in limited doses. . . but my stereo system with my own musical choices rules my day. My night. . . tv or reading with the wife and our furry daughter.

I got a new car recently that had Sirius installed. The jazz offerings were quite adequate for my tastes; between Real Jazz, Seriously Sinatra, and 40s Junction. I maybe had it for two months before it expired and I have not renewed it. As much as I enjoyed it the playlists were starting to get a little stale, and it's easy enough to just play music off your phone from Youtube or wherever. I doubt I ever will renew it, maybe if they added some more jazz channels..

I think Public Radio deserves a great deal of credit for keeping jazz in people's ears, especially in areas where it isn't especially popular. I'm forever in debt to CMU and Interlochen public radio for all the hours of great jazz and classical they've offered me and the rest of the jack pine savages of the great north woods.

Had Sirius in one car, liked it well enough, but not for the music, usually. Mostly for the OTR programming, which I still enjoy via several Roku channels on the tV. But the music programming....meh. And then meh some more. It kinda bugs me when I have to shut the radio off and play my own collection for surprise and delight.

I have Sirius and love it.  Have my 12 presets, and flip from song to song.  Don't like the Sirius jazz stations, and they did not make my 12 presets.  Love some of the announcers, such as Steve Van Zandt, Kid Leo, The Mighty Manfred, Tom Petty, and Earle Bailey.  They still play Petty's old Buried Treasure shows.  We watch no TV except sports.

Edited by felser

On 2/16/2023 at 1:40 AM, GA Russell said:

I had Sirius about fifteen years ago. 

What I remember most is that you never drove out of range of the signal of the station you were listening to.

That is one of the things I love about radio in a car.  One station drifts out of range, as another arrives. 

Sad to say, NYC 's Public Radio (WNYC) station has been lobotomized. They had a purge that got rid of Jonathan Schwartz (Arthur Schwartz' son for goodness sake!), and Lennie Lopate ( winner of numerous National Excellence in Radio Awards, and capable of interviewing any major figure in any field intelligently, in addition to having performances by the greats of Black music- Marion Williams, numerous jazz performers, etc...), and replacing them with airheads  that basically do the same program every day.

The only thing left is WKCR, Columbia U's radio station, which isn't the same without Phil Schaap (less new  jazz content- they play reruns of Schaap's shows instead of letting one of his competent subs have their own shows).

As Thomas Pynchon would say, "Nothing but bad sh-t, and excluded middles."

• 2 weeks later...

How fast things change these days. Since I posted my comment less than a month ago my local NPR station(WCMU) has pulled ALL of its music programing, classical and jazz, and replaced it with talk! It is hard to fathom this decision: aren't the syndicated talk shows much more expensive than just playing music from an already existing catalog? I don't have much right to complain since I don't tune in much or donate anymore, but it still makes me sad to see it go.

Nightside pulled the shades down???!!! Huge loss.

Well, the data is clear: the talk format evinces more institutional support and, as you'll admit, not having listened to the music offering, potentially more listeners.

Though it's hard to imagine the news cycle in Mount Pleasant is 24/7.

In our market there are two radio stations that overlap with the NPR talk format and they both do well during on air fundraisers. 

Fortunately Blue Lake Public Radio, where I work, isn't playing that game and is sticking with a mission of fine arts programming that's music centric, which re-enforces the over all mission of Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. #musiceducation 

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I'm happy to hear that Lazaro, I have fond memories of a summer program I attended there as a kid.

Regretfully I'm just out of range of Interlochen, so like many in Northern Lower MI: WCMU is it. I would think CMU has one of the largest ranges in the state too, it goes all the way into the UP and both sides of the northern lower. I can see how some folks up here could be seriously bummed about the move, it's not as if we have any other options on the dial for similar content.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, Jack Pine said:

How fast things change these days. Since I posted my comment less than a month ago my local NPR station(WCMU) has pulled ALL of its music programing, classical and jazz, and replaced it with talk! It is hard to fathom this decision: aren't the syndicated talk shows much more expensive than just playing music from an already existing catalog? I don't have much right to complain since I don't tune in much or donate anymore, but it still makes me sad to see it go.

I don't know if WCMU is a joint licensee with a local public TV station, but that kind of crap happens a lot. Local programming is sacrificed and they either run repeats from earlier in the day or rebroadcast audio from TV programs. A great way to turn off donors to radio. I have never supported the local public TV station, they've pulled too many stunts, including trying to sneak around us to get the university to give us away o them. It would have been an idiotic move, as the broadcast frequency alone is worth a small fortune.