Helping Mosaic by Suggesting Artists and Sets, Part Deux

On 5/8/2023 at 9:18 PM, Justin V said:

I suggested a complete set of Grant Green's Club Mozambique material, as that single disc is so damn funky.  Unfortunately, they only had a bunch of rough mixes and not the complete set of tapes and Bob Belden selected the best takes.  I confess that I'd still love to hear whatever they have, though.

I have the first set from this night and there are only two tunes that weren't issued on the released CD, "One Less Bell To Answer" & "Make It Easy On Yourself".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Chris Connor - Complete Atlantic Recordings.

That would be round 13LPs worth plus some unreleased material (likely lost)

picked up a pile of her individual Japanese Atlantic/Warner CDs round 10 years ago

Similarly I collected all of Anita O'Day's verve CDs only to sell them after fortuitously finding a second hand copy of her Mosaic box.

Edited by romualdo

On 3/17/2024 at 3:58 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I wonder if a Capitol boxed set of Cannonball Adderley would have any appeal? The CDs are pretty much out of print.

I think we may have discussed that possibility before, maybe in the first go-round of this topic. If memory serves, it would be a pretty big set, though I'd certainly be up for it.

9 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

A Cannoball Adderley set could always be narrowed to a specific time period of so many years. For some reason, it seems like Mosaic was frequently offering sales on sets sourced from Capitol, other than the Nat King Cole. 

I’d imagine that’s because once upon a time (1990s/2000s) Capitol fell under the EMI umbrella, which also owned Blue Note, and Mosaic presumably was able to license Capitol recordings with ease. (In fact, didn’t EMI at one point have a direct financial share in Mosaic?) I’ve lost track of who owns what these days when it comes to label catalogues, though. Is it down to just the Universal and Sony behemoths? Anyway, I’d definitely be in for any kind of 1960s Cannonball Capitol set for sure.

How about an ABC-Paramount small group jazz set? To narrow it down I would focus on small groups (so no Quincy Jones or Oscar Pettiford Orchestra), studio dates (no live Billy Taylor or Don Elliott live sessions), groups (no Dave McKenna solo piano album), no vocals, from the 1955-57 period when they were doing the most in the modern & swing idioms. That would leave something like this, which would fit on 10-12 discs:

ABC 101 - Blues and Other Shades of Green - Urbie Green [1955] 
ABC 106 - Musical Offering by Don Elliot - Don Elliot [1956] 
ABC 109 - The Four Most Guitars - Jimmy Rainey [1956] 
ABC 110 - Swingin' the Vibories - Leonard Feather's West Coast Jazzmen [1956]
ABC 111 - Lucky Thompson - Lucky Thompson [1956] 
ABC 112 - Evergreens - Billy Taylor Trio [1956] 
ABC 114 - Wailing - Buddy Arnold [1956]
ABC 115 - Know Your Jazz - Various Artists [1956] 
ABC 117 - Tom Stewart Sextette/Quintette - Tom Stewart [1956]
ABC 122 - Kenny Dorham & the Jazz Prophets - Kenny Dorham [1956] 
ABC 125 - Candido - Candido & Al Cohn [1956] 
ABC 126 - Whitey Mitchell Sextette - Whitey Mitchell Sextette [1956]
ABC 129 - Jimmy Raney Featuring Bob Brookmeyer - Jimmy Raney/Bob Brookmeyer [1956] 
ABC 139 - Vinnie Burke All-Stars - Vinnie Burke All-Stars [1956] 
ABC 141 - Ruby Braff Featuring Dave McKenna - Ruby Braff with Dave McKenna [1956]
ABC 155 - Zoot Sims Plays Alto, Tenor and Baritone Sax - Zoot Sims [1957]
ABC 162 - Ira Sullivan with Billy Taylor Trio - Ira Sullivan with Billy Taylor Trio [1957]
ABC 167 - In Three Attitudes - Jimmy Raney [1956] 
ABC 170 - Vinnie Burke String Jazz Quartet - Vinnie Burke [1957] 
ABC 171 - Lucky Thompson Featuring Oscar Pettiford - Lucky Thompson & Oscar Pettiford [1957]
ABC 179 - Calm, Cool and Collette - Buddy Collette [1957] 
ABC 198 - Zoot Sims Plays Four Altos - Zoot Sims [1957]