Karl Berger (1935-2023)

clifford_thornton

Sad news to report from the Hudson Valley: vibraphonist, pianist, author, and Creative Music Studio founder Karl Berger has passed at age 88.

Saw him quite a number of times over the years with various ensembles, both up here and down in NYC. Nice man and a generous spirit -- we had a very engaging phone conversation many years ago when I was working on a Don Cherry article.

Condolences to his wife, Ingrid (vocalist and CMS co-founder), family, and many friends and collaborators.

RIP sir, and thank you.

What a contribution over such a long period of time, and he surely went out on top too. His playing on MBefore from last year is incredibly deep. 

For me at least there's not much in jazz as exciting as those recordings with Don Cherry, specifically from Montmartre. All-time burning.

RIP

RIP.

Noticing that an upcoming concert program including Karl Berger (in Kingston, NY) was recently cancelled "for health reasons" and replaced with another,  I immediately feared something like this.

I know Ingrid (though not on a first-name basis) via non-musical activities but never met Karl.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

No!  I'm just sitting and listening for the first time to "Heart is a melody" and wondering anew at Berger's way with melody. I love so many of his albums. Thanks for such an important and maybe understated contribution.  Huge loss

Waiting for Heart Is A Melody to arrive. R.I.P.

R.I.P.

He was such an important figure between the US and German scenes. Good teacher as well, directing the jazz department at the Frankfurt Music University for many years. Sad that I never had the opportunity to attend one his concerts while I was working there in a different department. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, T.D. said:

A local paper finally published a significant obit.

Karl Berger, music pioneer: His mind and work will live on - Hudson Valley One

Thank you for posting this, it's the most in depth obit I've come across.

I had no idea that he and Ingrid's relationship started way back at his musical beginning.

Also, how I'd love to recordings of that CMS tour to Turkey 

I learned about him through The Real Book.  There were two short pieces on one page, one by Dave Holland, and one by Karl Berger, with a note at the bottom reading, "For information concerning concerts by these artists, please write: Creative Music Studios, PO Box 671, Woodstock, NY 12498."  I never tried to book them in concert, but I did attempt to solo over "Perfect Love" as an exercise.  

RIP.

12 hours ago, romualdo said:

Thanks for the link - what a fulfilled life & wonderful partnership with Ingrid/"Sertso"

RIP Karl

You're welcome. The local paper initially printed a short and woefully inadequate obit. From what I've heard, they subsequently hired a freelancer to write a proper one. Thus the two-week delay.

Edited by T.D.