Singularity Codex -- Matthew Shipp on RogueArt

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Singularity Codex – Matthew Shipp on RogueArt is slated to be released in early summer. This is my first book, and it's been a long time coming. Over the course of 200 pages Singularity Codex presents the work of Shipp and his numerous collaborators within the broader jazz and free music continuum, and covers in detail the pianist's 25 current and forthcoming albums for RogueArt (and one book with poet Steve Dalachinsky). Neither a strict biography nor a discography, this volume includes numerous interviews, photographs, and aesthetic meditations that frame the music, its connections, and surrounding philosophy and history. Whether or not you are familiar with Shipp and his work, this book is a fascinating read.

Singularity Codex will be available directly from RogueArt as well as through your favorite book/record store. Librarians and educators should get in touch if they want to have a copy of this or other RogueArt publications on their shelves. Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.

image.png.120f2b437da6f3dbb0d353290eee77ad.png

In everlasting appreciation to Shipp and publisher/producer Michel Dorbon for gently guiding this unique book to publication. I can't wait for you to read it.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read your Insta post, congratulations Clifford.

I used to follow Shipp's releases closely but gave up due to the sheer number so this feels like a good opportunity to reacquaint. I should purchasing from Rogue Art will be my best bet in the UK.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, Dan Gould said:

Not my scene but big congratulations!

What is the derivation of "singularity codex"?

Thanks! Good question. Shipp and I talk extensively about the idea of a singularity and the way in which the universe, God, and language are manifested through improvised music, and this thread flows throughout the book as a narrative link.

Also, a codex is any bound volume, and in the title I am also referencing art historian Jon Hendricks' exhaustive and wonderful book Fluxus Codex.

Edited by clifford_thornton
flub

• 1 month later...

A note for those in the EU, the book is now available for direct order & shipping from the RogueArt website.

https://roguart.com/product/singularity-codex-matthew-shipp-on-rogueart/222

For those of you in NYC it can be purchased at Mast Books, Karma Bookshop, Village Works, Academy Records (E 12th), Downtown Music Gallery, and Jazz Record Center... more to follow once distributors stock it (which shouldn't be too long).

Thanks!