John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy - Evenings at the Village Gate (July 14th release date)

colinmce

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Interesting chronology:

Africa Brass - session #1 - May 23, 1961
Ole - May 25, 1961
Africa Brass - session #2 - June 4, 1961
Village Gate - August 1961
Village Vanguard sessions - November 1, 2, 3 & 5, 1961

Interesting and intense. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna be that guy...I never got into Coltrane. Early on I bought a bunch of his stuff because that was "jazz" as presented to me. It got pushed aside by other things that resonated more deeply with me- Mingus, Rahsaan, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Hutcherson, and Miles to name a few. I've revisited his stuff a couple of times through the decades but I'm still left flat. I even got "Love Supreme" on 180 gram vinyl through popmarket a few months ago at a deep discount. Meh.

Love abounds for him here and that's the beauty of art and music. What works for each of us is a highly personal thing.

So, even though I do have an appreciation for some of Dolphy's work, this is a pass for me.

Okay...let me have it. 🙂

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Interesting chronology:

Africa Brass - session #1 - May 23, 1961
Ole - May 25, 1961
Africa Brass - session #2 - June 4, 1961
Village Gate - August 1961
Village Vanguard sessions - November 1, 2, 3 & 5, 1961

How/why was he able to start recording his first Impulse! album before recording his last Atlantic album?

13 minutes ago, greggery peccary said:

I'm just gonna be that guy...I never got into Coltrane. Early on I bought a bunch of his stuff because that was "jazz" as presented to me. It got pushed aside by other things that resonated more deeply with me- Mingus, Rahsaan, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Hutcherson, and Miles to name a few. I've revisited his stuff a couple of times through the decades but I'm still left flat. I even got "Love Supreme" on 180 gram vinyl through popmarket a few months ago at a deep discount. Meh.

Love abounds for him here and that's the beauty of art and music. What works for each of us is a highly personal thing.

So, even though I do have an appreciation for some of Dolphy's work, this is a pass for me.

Okay...let me have it. 🙂

+1

The pinnacle is Blue Train and I like precisely two of the Impulses (you can guess).  There was a time I had all of the Impulse reissues and it suddenly dawned on me, listening to one of them - this has zero appeal. That isn't to say I stopped with Trane completely, I am sure I bought others of the era that I enjoyed, like the Red Garland "Let's play a blues for 18 1/2 minutes" OJCs. But I was done trying to make a style make sense that would never be explained or enjoyed.

2 hours ago, greggery peccary said:

Okay...let me have it. 🙂

It's ok to not like some artists.  With Coltrane there are so many different periods.  I'm very fond of the Atlantic recordings.  There's a big box set, Heavyweight Giant, or something like that.  All the albums with Miles are pretty fine too. The Impulse box: The Classic Quartet. The later work is harder to grok but still pretty great in its own way.  I like the Prestige stuff but I recommend either the Atlantic or Impulse Quartet stuff if you want to look further and maybe see what all the fuss is about.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

I've heard the first three tracks today and the sound is better than I expected from some remarks. It is particularly enjoyable on headphones.

One thing that nobody has mentioned, isn't the opening missing from "My Favorite Things?" It sounds very different with Dolphy soloing before Coltrane.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I've heard the first three tracks today and the sound is better than I expected from some remarks. It is particularly enjoyable on headphones.

One thing that nobody has mentioned, isn't the opening missing from "My Favorite Things?" It sounds very different with Dolphy soloing before Coltrane.

Yes, it starts in the middle of Dolphy's solo, which likely came after a first Coltrane solo that is not here. 

I was surprised that wasn't mentioned in the liner notes, but I've heard enough live versions of "My Favorite Things" with Coltrane and Dolphy that it seemed incomplete to me, since it started so unusually.

I thought both "When LIghts Are Low" and "Africa" were the nicest surprises on this CD. 

42 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Very strange.

Just curious - whats the process to "send it back"?

Unless they've recently changed the process you ask for a return, they send you a reply and  you can then take it to any UPS store or Whole Foods with no packaging and drop it off. (Of course UPS may soon be on strike.) 

45 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Very strange.

Just curious - what's the process to "send it back"?

Pretty easy actually 

First you request either a refund or an exchange. I went for the exchange, of course. 

Then they send you a scannable QR code, which you then take with the item to a designated dropoff point. I chose Kohl's because it was just up the street. Whole Foods and UPS store were also options, but the latter wanted a buck for the service. 

Kohl's scanned the code off my phone and then took it from there. Packaging, mailing, tracking, everything 

I also got a shipping notice for the replacement item before I even left for Kohl's! 

You have a 30 day return window too. And there's no phone calls or anything. 

The replacement arrived today(!) - and it didn't play either. NO DISC my player says.

But pop it in the PC and it loads and plays, no problem.

So I go to rip and burn to a CD-R and guess what - the impulse! CD has a total time of 80:02. Juat enough to jinx my older player and my burning software, which if it has an overburning setting, I can't find it right now.

But ok, 2 CD-Rs works. A country boy can survive.

Still, they couldn't find 2-3 seconds to trim? Seriously?

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I once received a CD with totally different music on it - print and all was correct, but what came from my speakers was not what was written.

I have the 2-CD set The Righteous Brothers Gold. 

Everything looks good, but the Disc 2 music is labeled Disc 1, and the Disc 1 music is labeled Disc 2.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The replacement arrived today(!) - and it didn't play either. NO DISC my player says.

But pop it in the PC and it loads and plays, no problem.

So I go to rip and burn to a CD-R and guess what - the impulse! CD has a total time of 80:02. Juat enough to jinx my older player and my burning software, which if it has an overburning setting, I can't find it right now.

But ok, 2 CD-Rs works. A country boy can survive.

Still, they couldn't find 2-3 seconds to trim? Seriously?

Fortunately mine plays fine all 80+ minutes.

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

Amazon sent me a CD that had no music on the CD. Nothing.

So I sent it back for an exchange 

But that was weird. How did that happen? 

Oh boy so quality issues starting to happen to the cd issues as well 🤨