John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy - Evenings at the Village Gate (July 14th release date)

colinmce

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely I have some 80+minute CDs that I have played  but for whatever reason, both copies of this one returned the NO DISC error. It wouldn't even get started 

And my burning software would rip it just fine, but would not burn it to a single blank CR-R. Denied it totally. 

Are there different data points on a CD to designate total disc length? Or is it always the same field? 

I am perplexed... 

On 7/17/2023 at 4:09 PM, greggery peccary said:

I'm just gonna be that guy...I never got into Coltrane. Early on I bought a bunch of his stuff because that was "jazz" as presented to me. It got pushed aside by other things that resonated more deeply with me- Mingus, Rahsaan, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Hutcherson, and Miles to name a few. I've revisited his stuff a couple of times through the decades but I'm still left flat. I even got "Love Supreme" on 180 gram vinyl through popmarket a few months ago at a deep discount. Meh.

Love abounds for him here and that's the beauty of art and music. What works for each of us is a highly personal thing.

So, even though I do have an appreciation for some of Dolphy's work, this is a pass for me.

Okay...let me have it. 🙂

It's quite all right - if I had posted something like that Justin V would pipe in to say that Coltrane had probably refused to collaborate with me; but the truth is it is quite possible to disagree with the majority.

“Eighty minutes” isn’t really 80 minutes in this case.
They (CD-Rs), technically, only hold 79:30 of audio.

There was a time when you could buy “100 minute”
CD-Rs, but it turned out that even tho audio could
be burned onto them, they usually wouldn’t read past
the 80’ mark, so they became pretty much obsolete.

Spinning this one again today and have to say: they did absolutely right releasing this stuff. It's an incredible live session and I love the compositions played. That version of Africa with Dolphy is just wow!

On 7/24/2023 at 12:40 AM, JSngry said:

A few other Amazon reviewers are reporting the NO DISC error. None are relating it to the 80:02 timing, though. So I left one that did. 

my SHM is getting this too. I've never dealt with CDJapan and am wondering how easy returns are.

to me it looks like a blank CD but this is also the first SHM I've ever owned.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now I'm wondering if there was more material that could have made a double CD.

That would have jinked up everything economically, but 80:02, seriously? 

The Coltrane reference also has a tape from this gig which contains a Greensleeves that would match but also nine minutes of Body and Soul as well as nineteen minutes of Ole... Presumably recorded by someone else in lesser quality 

8 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I reported the random attack and wouldn't have responded had you done your job as a moderator.  If I view an ignored post (perhaps foolishly, I guess), I shouldn't expect to see an out-of-the-blue attack.

Ok, stop it. You started this with a pretty nasty poke at Alan, who then proceeded to shit the bed and then throw it all over the walls 

I cleaned that up .

So now, what, you put him on Ignore but read him anyway and now you want to get pissy about some impotent aftershock? 

This has no end, you know. 

Stop it. Control yourself. Don't feed the animals. 

50 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Man that sucks. They should have made this a double CD then. 

Yeah, but that wouk take one more cut, maybe two, to flesh it out. And that would upset the vinyl equation 

2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Man that sucks. They should have made this a double CD then. 

Yeah, 2x 40 minute CDs but then people just complain about not getting enough music rather than listening to what they got.

Kind of glad I went the LP route, @Pim's reports of warps etc notwithstanding 

Numerous reports from my fave record store here in Bloomington of similar problems with the CDs.  Mine plays on my old player at home (for the most part, though the other night it went wobbly on the last track), but the players in the on-air studio here at the station won't read it at all.  Quite a punt on quality control! Iirc the first disc of The Complete Bud Powell on Verve clocks in at 80:00 exactly, but I've never had any issues with playing it, and I've had it for nearly 30 years now.  (Good Lord, that's a long time! Doesn't seem that long ago...)

So warped and scuffed vinyl and cds that don’t play? I can’t believe they screw up such an important release. What’s the trouble investing in a little quality control (and a better pressing plant).

my second vinyl and replacement vinyl arrived today. Again disc one is warped but less than the previous one. I guess I call it acceptable. Don’t feel for returning another one. What a waste of money and product.

Also wondering if the MFT might have been a more complete version (not necessarily fully complete, just more complete) that was shaved for time reasons?

Also wondering how many people getting the NO DISC error are aware of the time factor. The first one, that I exchanged, probably didn't have to do that, could have just ripped my own double right away. 

I just tried the CD on three different players we have here, Marantz, micromega, and Pioneer, and all three play it back without any problems. Even my more than 30  years old DVD player accepts it. Maybe your machines do not like the music?

Edited by mikeweil

I have CD's which run well over 80 minutes (up to 83), and they play OK for me, as does this one.  My equipment is not expensive (quite the opposite), but is also not old, purchased new within past five years or so.

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Also wondering if the MFT might have been a more complete version (not necessarily fully complete, just more complete) that was shaved for time reasons?

Also wondering how many people getting the NO DISC error are aware of the time factor. The first one, that I exchanged, probably didn't have to do that, could have just ripped my own double right away. 

If they had to clip a track to fit it on the CD then they really should have done 2 CDs. Maybe better to deal with complaints related to too much space across a set than otherwise.