Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

How many non-LP tracks are there? I have all of these on various US and Japanese pressings. But I do love Sonny Clark!

Just had a look at the booklet - there seem to be half a dozen or so which were previously issued only on CD. Some of which were alternate takes. Incidentally, the CD sound on the set is very good indeed.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

How many non-LP tracks are there? I have all of these on various US and Japanese pressings. But I do love Sonny Clark!

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/the-complete-sonny-clark-blue-note-sessions/

According to this discography, there are a few sessions that have only been available on Japanese LPs as well as several tracks have only been available on 45 rpm singles.

Japanese LPs:

LNJ (J) 70093 Sonny Clark Quintets
GXF (J) 3051 Blues In The Night
GXF (J) 3069 The Art Of The Trio

45 rpm session:

Sonny Clark, piano; Jymie Merritt, bass; Wes Landers, drums.
Hackensack, N.J. November 15, 1958
Tk. 3 Black Velvet 45-1731
Tk. 4 I’m Just A Lucky So And So 45-1730
Tk. 5 Gee Baby, Ain’t I Good To You 45-1731
Tk. 8 Ain’t No Use 45-1730
Tk. 9 The Breeze And I 45-1729
Tk. 13 I Can’t Give You Anything But Love 45-1729

This discography seems to have missed the recently released LP of "My Conception" in the Tone Poet series.

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/the-complete-sonny-clark-blue-note-sessions/

According to this discography, there are a few sessions that have only been available on Japanese LPs as well as several tracks have only been available on 45 rpm singles.

Japanese LPs:

45 rpm session:

This discography seems to have missed the recently released LP of "My Conception" in the Tone Poet series.

Mosaic's discographies usually only list the first release.  The six trio tracks from 11/15/58 are available on CD here:

b9f2957b0b0a2872ea36028a9c27494c.jpg&f=1

I believe everything in the box has been previously issued in the U.S.  Great music.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Japanese LPs:

45 rpm session:

Gotcha. The singles were spread over The Art of the Trio and Blues in the Night, both of which I have, as well as the other JP-only LPs. So I think I've got all those.

• 3 weeks later...

On the box set, has the terrible stereo on Sonny’s Crib been sorted at all? On my 1998 Toshiba CD all the horns are shoved into the left channel, sounding really boxed in. On Speak Low, there is also a noticeable drop in volume in the right channel at about 2.15.

As an aside, on the same track, it sounds to me that Coltrane loses his way at about 1.46, and starts heading into the bridge. This is the version I have. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:19 AM, adh1907 said:

On the box set, has the terrible stereo on Sonny’s Crib been sorted at all? On my 1998 Toshiba CD all the horns are shoved into the left channel, sounding really boxed in. On Speak Low, there is also a noticeable drop in volume in the right channel at about 2.15.

As an aside, on the same track, it sounds to me that Coltrane loses his way at about 1.46, and starts heading into the bridge. This is the version I have. 

You are right, he obviously starts heading into the bridge after only one A-part but recovers quickly. 

Funny thing, such a common tune but I have played it only once last year when a singer wanted to sit for 2 tunes and one of it was "Speak Low". Well it´s a very easy tune, so I could comp on it without ever havin seen a sheet, but the girl that sang also wanted another key, so thats what we must be prepared for, you got it or you haven´t got it. 

I must admit that I also sometimes have busted the form of a song, mostly when I was younger and the music maybe overwhelmed me so I lost the form, I´m ashame of it but it did happen.....

About Sonny Clark: Well I ´m not a collector and not an audiophile , but I like this album very much (but I think I had bought it mostly because of Trane) , and of course "Cool Struttin´" . I also had bought once the trio album I don´t know the title, it has Philly Joe Jones on it and maybe that was the main reason. I spinned it once and was lookin´ forward hearing a fine long version of that fine Dizzy uptempo tune "Be bop" but was disappointed since Clark just doesn´t do anything with his left hand. I mean I don´t want a piano player who bangs into all them keys at once but even if you play such a horn line like the impro of "be bop" it doesn´t hurt if a pianist also thinks a bit like a percussionist, you can fill in interesting rhythmic patterns with the left, not just lay it out and have only the bass playing the bass line. From Bud´s disciples many took only his right hand, and became "one handed pianists", but Powell also had built up on what Tatum had left, and also Monk works with both hands. 

I think I also have some albums where Clark is a sideman, it could be with Dexter or so.....

But "Cool Struttin" is just my idea of a perfect hard bop album, though I listen much much more to the whole thing than to the piano itself....

Yes you are right, on Sonny’s trio version of ‘Bebop’, his use of the left hand is minimal, mostly a two or three note trill repeated regularly. I like it, it adds some tension to the tune. Generally though Sonny doesn’t do much with the left hand. 

I now have the Mosaic box set (which is a thing of beauty) and the stereo on Sonny’s Crib is much better balanced and the volume drop corrected. I also see the sleeve notes mention Coltrane’s mistake on Speak Low. The sound quality generally is excellent.

I bought my copy from Jazz Messengers and it arrived promptly and well packed. Better than when I used to buy Mosaics from the States! Oddly as I went through the payment process and entered my Uk address, the price dropped about 20 euros!

18 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

The mono master of Sonny's Crib was used for this issue -

81+ll8aw6NL._SX522_.jpg

Interesting. I don’t recall seeing that compilation in the UK. But if I’d seen it, I may well have thought I have all the albums already and not appreciated the mono master of Sonny’s Crib.