Sonny Clark complete Blue Note announced.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do too, but as the Henderson and Mobley sets had better sound than the individual cds I have had I pre-ordered this set as well. I get that "sound" doesn't matter to some, but with the way my system shows me how each mastering sounds. . . for me it does.

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I do too, but as the Henderson and Mobley sets had better sound than the individual cds I have had I pre-ordered this set as well. I get that "sound" doesn't matter to some, but with the way my system shows me how each mastering sounds. . . for me it does.

I could not agree more.  I ordered as soon as I saw the email.  

I wish I could get excited by this release but I just can't.  I have all of the albums and I don't spend a bunch of time listening to them.  I don't blame Mosaic for releasing this but I still think I'd rather have a Bobby Hutcherson set.  Can't have everything and this may be my pass, sorry to say.

I'm on the fence, but will probably pick this up.  I probably had all the albums at one point, but currently only have 5 (of 9).  Maybe a bigger issue is I really don't have shelf space for another Mosaic box, so something's gotta give...  😉

Also on the fence, but you sure get a lot for $99.  I am sure I would enjoy the booklet.  I find it interesting to contrast the cost of great sounding CDs ($99 for the whole set) versus ~ $40 for the just issued Sonny Clark Trio on vinyl.  And yes, the vinyl sounds great too and you get the full-sIze artwork.  Without an endless supply of cash or time, just makes for some interesting choices.  Still, an amazing golden period for jazz fans versus when I got started in the early 80s, not sure if there was ANY Sonny Clark in print.

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

Pass. I generally don't go for sonic upgrades. Have all the material on individual CDs and prefer that format anyway. 

I'm also passing, as I have on the others.  The original album art, recreated on the individual CD's, is a fairly big part of the BN magic/nostalgia (not always easy to separate one from the other) for me.  And the Mosaics totally lose that for me. 

I love his playing, but the comparison they make on the Mosaic site to Bud Powell is just....silly. To me Clark is part of a different side of that style, like Bobby Timmons and Barry Harris. And on the excerpted version of Bebop, also on the Mosaic site. he plays fine but there are clear moments of difficulty; I mean, how old was he? 20 something? It's not a big deal. But Bud Powell he wasn't, especially at that tempo. And anyway his touch/articulation was clearly different. Though I have to say that, in the big picture, I prefer Elmo Hope, Barry, Duke Jordan, Herbie Nichols, Dick Katz. I find that Clark is ripe with possibility, but something is missing, maybe the development was off due to personal stuff, I don't know.

Edited by AllenLowe

34 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

I love his playing, but the comparison they make on the Mosaic site to Bud Powell is just....silly. To me Clark is part of a different side of that style, like Bobby Timmons and Barry Harris. And on the excerpted version of Bebop, also on the Mosaic site. he plays fine but there are clear moments of difficulty; I mean, how old was he? 20 something? It's not a big deal. But Bud Powell he wasn't, especially at that tempo. And anyway his touch/articulation was clearly different. Though I have to say that, in the big picture, I prefer Elmo Hope, Barry, Duke Jordan, Herbie Nichols, Dick Katz. I find that Clark is ripe with possibility, but something is missing, maybe the development was off due to personal stuff, I don't know.

I'm a major fan of Sonny Clark, enjoy pretty much anything he plays on, but I essentially agree with you.

"Personal stuff" (emphasis added) was likely a factor. Though his last release as leader (Leapin' and Lopin', 1961) is my favorite Clark album.

Edited by T.D.

Love Sonny Clark, don't need to compare him to Bud or anyone else, he's his own flavor.  But not getting this since I doubt I'd even notice the sonic upgrade, much less actually care.  But if it brings more attention to his playing and composing and frees up used copies of individual dates for the secondary market, then yay!

2 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

There's a Tristano thing going on in his playing, at least to my ears. Long, long melodic lines, but, more than that, the articulation he gives each note. Maybe I'm hearing echoes of Dodo Marmarosa, another Pittsburgh pianist, instead? Certainly a slight "cool"ness to his touch.