Pharoah Sanders "Pharoah" (India Navigation)

soulpope

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Box set??

Dusty Groove is showing a CD box set "with bonus tracks", ETA 9/15.

I thought the original release was pretty light on playing time, so the bonus tracks must be significant?

After reading the link posted by the OP, looks like one short (40 min) CD of the original album plus one CD (unknown duration) of the 2 live "Harvest Time" bonus tracks (the studio track was about 21 min).

29 minutes ago, romualdo said:

2CD or 2LP? box sets (anything more than 1 CD/LP is probably considered as a box set in marketing crapola - a deluxe item!!)

Definitely some semantic games being played. 🧐 In the label's defense, their only title I own is the outstanding Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane.

Edited by T.D.

Editorial Reviews

With Pharoah Sanders’ blessing, this limited edition 2 CD box set presents the definitive, remastered version of PHAROAH, his seminal record from 1977, along with two previously unreleased live performances of his masterpiece “Harvest Time." PHAROAH will be released a year after the legendary tenor saxophonists’ untimely death, and two years after the release of what was to become his final album, the widely acclaimed PROMISES, a collaboration between the composer Floating Points and Pharoah Sanders, featuring the London Symphony Orchestra (Luaka Bop, 2021). This deluxe CD box set comes with a 64-page booklet featuring never-before-seen photographs, rare ephemera, interviews with many of the participants, and a conversation with Pharoah himself. This record’s origin story is as elusive as Pharoah was about everything Pharoah. It was born out of a misunderstanding between him and India Navigation producer Bob Cummins, and was recorded at a crossroads in his career with a group of musicians so unlikely that they were never all in the same room again. There was a guitarist who was also a spiritual guru, an organist who would go on to co-write and produce “The Message,” and a classically trained pianist—his wife at the time, Bedria Sanders—who played the harmonium despite never having seen one. At times ambient and serene, at others funky and modal, PHAROAH radically departed from his earlier work. It would become one of the artist’s most beloved records and one of the great works of the 20th century. These exceptional live versions of “Harvest Time”—included here for the first time, and which Pharoah performed during an intense European tour in the summer of ’77—turn the original, beloved composition on its head. For seasoned listeners and new acolytes both, PHAROAH will never sound the same. PHAROAH (Disc 1) 1. Harvest Time 2. Love Will Find a Way 3. Memories of Edith Johnson Harvest Time Live 1977 (Disc 2) 1. Harvest Time Live – Version 1 2. Harvest Time Live – Version 2

from Amazon listing

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And what, if anything, does this indicate about the availability of the remainder of the India Navigation catalog for the future? 

Interesting question, hard to say.

I took a look at the Luaka Bop page, and they claim to have been working personally with Sanders on this release (when he passed). So as far as India Navigation goes, I'm inclined to think it's a one-off. But that's mere speculation. 

https://www.luakabop.com/products/pharoah-sanders-pharoah-deluxe-2-lp-box-set-harvest-time-live-1977

Edited by T.D.

17 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Cool.  Aside from Solomon's Daughter and Spirits of Our Ancestors (as well as some live performances I attended), I'm embarrassingly blank on post-1973 Pharoah. :(

Solomon's Daughter is great, as is that Weston album (Khepera was good too) ...

Some other good latter-day Pharoah releases:

• Journey to the One (1980)
  • Rejoice (1981)
  • Africa (1987)
  • Spirits (2000)
  • Africa N'Da Blues (2000, featured artist with Kahil El'Zabar ritual trio)
  • Divine Radiance (2003, sideman date with Tisziji Muñoz)

• 1 month later...