Exciting Massey Hall reissue

T.D.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, $100.00 for 3 LPs of music I already have?

To be admittedly but necessarily indelicate - fuck that! 

If they perform sonic miracles, *maybe* the CDs.  But really, who buys this?  Great music of course, but there are so many other things in that vast catalog that would be of more interest.

These seem geared to new jazz explorers who have experienced growing interest in jazz through audiophile VINYL releases. There seemed to be more than enough of them for these releases to be thought up and brought out. And for those newly exploring jazz these are beneficial. For cranky old jazzers squeezing dimes together for obscure titles, not so much.

I could swore that I read that they only found one 10" LP of tunes without the bass overdubs. When did they find the rest of the tracks without Mingus' overdubs?

And FWIW, if anyone has heard the tracks that have been released without the bass overdubs, is it really worth $100 to hear that one LP?

HOTHOUSE_PACKSHOT-BACKCOVER_1100x.thumb.webp.afe48d3e8bb26e76f970a802ccf1b1bd.webp

4 minutes ago, bresna said:

I could swore that I read that they only found one 10" LP of tunes without the bass overdubs. When did they find the rest of the tracks without Mingus' overdubs?

And FWIW, if anyone has heard the tracks that have been released without the bass overdubs, is it really worth $100 to hear that one LP?

HOTHOUSE_PACKSHOT-BACKCOVER_1100x.thumb.webp.afe48d3e8bb26e76f970a802ccf1b1bd.webp

I think it would be better to spend 100 dollars getting the Charles Mingus Complete Debut Recordings box that has this material and so much more interesting music.

Edited by jazzbo

This must be a special ‘Hoffman Forums’ edition. 

Not for me. The Debut CD box more than suffices.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I think it would be better to spend 100 dollars getting the Charles Mingus Complete Debut Recordings box that has this material and so much more interesting music.

Absolutely !

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I filled my Massey Hall cup with the Mingus Debut box. Before that, this lasted me for decades, at least three, maybe more. 

MDctMTQ3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

That's the one I have, purchased in high school.  I prefer the bass overdubs.  Few things drive me crazier than inaudible bass in any kind of groove-based music.

I don't know if I "prefer" the overdubbed bass, but it's what I got I my head after 30-40 years, so when I finally heard the original version, it just sounded off somehow. Especially the bass duet on "All The Things You Are" not being there, that was just discombobulating.

It's nice to have both versions, but I don't see how it would be a sheerly musical priority for anybody. 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I filled my Massey Hall cup with the Mingus Debut box. Before that, this lasted me for decades, at least three, maybe more. 

MDctMTQ3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

So yeah, I'm more than good here.

And still as cranky as always! 

One of the first 5-10 jazz albums I ever bought (thank you, my benefactor sales clerk at Franklin Records), 20-25 years later replaced by the two OJC CD's, the Quintet and the Bud Powell at Massey Hall.  Good enough for me.  I owned the big Mingus Debut box twice, but once the smaller Euro Mingus Leader Debut box came out, I got that and a few other single CD's, some of which I already had inhouse (Bley, Hazel Scott, Miles, Thad Jones, 4 Trombones, a $3 John Dennis) and sold off the box, which was too bulky for me and had too much filler for my tastes.  There's a lot of gold in that box, but also a lot of dross.

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This must be a special ‘Hoffman Forums’ edition. 

Not for me. The Debut CD box more than suffices.

Absolutely !

It will probably be raining questions if the box is all analogue from the tapes and when it’s not the folks decide to skip these sessions completely. What I’ve noticed there is that for quite a lot it’s more for sound than for the music itself they listen to jazz.

Now I am no expert on these kind of things but these tapes are probably gone or unusable aren’t they?