Exciting Massey Hall reissue

T.D.

9 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

I don't wanna start a he said: he said, but the non-overdubbed sound is radically better (yes, in my opinion); the Mingus "fix" sounds like one of those "remastered for stereo" things.

Maybe with spectral audio technology they could bring out the bass more in the original recording.  Actually, there are a ton of great jazz performances that could benefit from this, though I imagine this will be done by listeners who have the technology.  I doubt that record labels would invest in this kind of thing.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Thanks. Am I wrong that they seem to be rechurning out a lot of stuff recently?

I get the impression they're focusing on vinyl. Given what seems to be a massive vinyl craze (even bubble), I can understand why. Absent quality control problems with pressing, the Craft releases are likely to be highly profitable.

I had read somewhere that there was a 50 years aniversary of Massey Hall in 2003 with some of the hottest players who where active on the scene. Was that recorded ? 
I think, the last surviving member of the original Quintet, Max Roach also played some drum solo. Herbie Hancock was on piano, that´s what I remember. 

But why was that not out on CD, it would have made some top music. 

I never buy other versions of albums I already have and know each phrase of it. My most albums with Mingus as a leader or Mingus as a sideman were on the French "America" label, that´s from where I have "Massey Hall" "Bud Powell Trio" (from the same concert) , and all those other Mingus albums from Jazzworkshop 1955 to the then brandnew 2 LPs "Blue Bird" and "Piticantropus Erectus" from the early 70´s ....

So to re-listen to those tunes I would prefer to hear them done by some hot young trumpetists and saxists, modern sounding piano, bass and a super hot drummer......, did they sleep on it, it would have sold well I think......

On 9/21/2023 at 7:39 PM, JSngry said:

Yeah, $100.00 for 3 LPs of music I already have?

To be admittedly but necessarily indelicate - fuck that! 

They are not aiming at collectors like us but at the jazz newbies who would rather go for a newly made jazz vinyl hype issue.

Edited by mikeweil

32 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

They are not aiming at collectors like us but at the jazz newbies who would rather go for a newly made jazz vinyl hype issue.

Probably the ones like the character a local record shop owner told me about years ago: An interior designer had been called in to furnish a client's newly refurbished home in a sort of "updated" Mid-Century Modern style and then dropped by that shop to have the owner compile him a set of Blue Note LPs for his client. :blink: :D:D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 months later...