David McCallum RIP

Teasing the Korean

NCIS is a guilty pleasure of mine. I've seen every episode numerous times. If there's nothing else on TV, or if the Red Sox are trailing by 8 runs or more, I'll watch an episode or two. McCallum's role as Dr. Mallard has always intrigued me more than any other character. When "Ducky" says, "That reminds me of the time ...." you can be sure something interesting would follow. Also, I found his practice of talking to and learning from the dead to be so respectful and caring. I'm sad, but grateful for McCallum's work.

UNCLE+Ep034+IK+bass2.jpg

Big fan since my childhood days.
Had my trusty antenna that I
broke off of an old radio in order
to “open Channel D.”

For the past three years, I’ve been
watching “Van der Valk” with Marc Warren
showing some McCallumesque behaviors,
but a bit more surly under the short blond hair.

… and never seeing NCIS, I understand he
played a pathologist(?). Well, in the well-worn
tradition, lately, in British detective shows of
having them be quirky, “Van der Valk” has a 
free-jazz loving sax player as their pathologist.

NCIS is on TV here too but I am sort of underwhelmed by the series. Too many of this type of series on TV, probably ... Certainly a sort of clutural clash ... :D I did notice David McCallum among the cast there, however, and his "elder authority" character does have its interest ...

But I keep thinking of him above all as the actor from the "Men From U.N.C.L.E." period, mostly because at the time I really started reading in my primary school days in the 60s the Corgi Toys scale car from that series popped up in the toy car catalogs I devoured, and the name of that TV series (promoted in the catalog) stuck forever. Though I only caught a scant few episodes at the very tail end of its showings on our national TV (to the best of my knowledge it never was rebroadcast later). And of course I did not really grasp the contents of the episodes at that tender age yet and the names of the actors did not mean anything until later. But the groundwork had been laid.

McCallum did not sing on these records, as many television stars of the 1960s did when offered recording contracts. As a classically trained musician, he conceived a blend of oboe, cor anglais, and strings with guitar and drums, and presented instrumental interpretations of hits of the day. The official arranger on the albums was H. B. Barnum. However, McCallum conducted, and contributed several original compositions of his own, over the course of four LPs. The first two, Music...A Part of Me and Music...A Bit More of Me, have been issued together on CD on the Zonophone label. On Open Channel D, McCallum did sing on the first four tracks, "Communication", "House on Breckenridge Lane", "In the Garden, Under the Tree" (the theme song from the film Three Bites of the Apple), and "My Carousel". The music tracks are the same as the Zonophone CD. This CD was released on the Rev-Ola label. The single release of "Communication" reached No. 32 in the UK Singles Chart in April 1966.”

Many are available thru something called “Learn Out Loud” as downloads.
I remember quite a few being free. I got hooked on a lot of those LPs tho -
and we used to distribute that label at the place I worked at, so it was fun
to hear the variety.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, rostasi said:

McCallum did not sing on these records, as many television stars of the 1960s did when offered recording contracts. As a classically trained musician, he conceived a blend of oboe, cor anglais, and strings with guitar and drums, and presented instrumental interpretations of hits of the day. The official arranger on the albums was H. B. Barnum. However, McCallum conducted, and contributed several original compositions of his own, over the course of four LPs. The first two, Music...A Part of Me and Music...A Bit More of Me, have been issued together on CD on the Zonophone label. On Open Channel D, McCallum did sing on the first four tracks, "Communication", "House on Breckenridge Lane", "In the Garden, Under the Tree" (the theme song from the film Three Bites of the Apple), and "My Carousel". The music tracks are the same as the Zonophone CD. This CD was released on the Rev-Ola label. The single release of "Communication" reached No. 32 in the UK Singles Chart in April 1966.”

I could see putting his name on the albums where he sings some tunes, but if he didn't even arrange the tunes, what's the point? His 'composition' didn't sound like much, no matter how many hip-hoppers sampled it, and combining English horn with oboe, orchestra and guitar was hardly an innovation.

It was just an ego trip and a money grab, because he was famous at the time. I fell for it, because I thought I was Illya Kuryakin, too. I wore turtlenecks and thought I was a spy ( I still think I'm a spy once in a while), just like my hero Illya did, but it reminds me of the Jackie Gleason 'albums'. What did Jackie Gleason do? Even Gil Evans did it on "Into the Hot'? What did he do on that album?

I've also realized that Lalo Schifrin practically (not legally) ripped off Jerry Goldsmith on his Mission: Impossible theme. Goldsmith came up with a minor theme with a low pitched ostinato (although not in 5/4) a few years before Schifrin wrote M:I. This has been a highly relevatory thread.😁

I've been led to believe that Gleason did have input for the early albums, at least, mostly in matters of tempo and general interpretation. He knew what he wanted, in other words, and saw to it that he got it. 

And Frank Sinatra allegedly actually conducted when they said he did, although to what extent I've not seen clarified.

I can believe both, st least to that extent. 

18 minutes ago, rostasi said:

What are your feelings on Mitch Miller?

Hey, he played with Bird!!!! 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hey, he played with Bird!!!! 

And Machito, and Alec Wilder!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've been led to believe that Gleason did have input for the early albums, at least, mostly in matters of tempo and general interpretation. He knew what he wanted, in other words, and saw to it that he got it. 

Also in terms of song selection and instrumentation, as far as I know.