Carla Bley (1936-2023)

clifford_thornton

Seeing the unfortunate news that Carla Bley has passed. I know her health had not been good in recent years. Glad to have seen her direct a later iteration of the Liberation Music Orchestra... a concept which is always needed.

One of my favorite composers, especially considering her early works (but not limited to those). RIP.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw her but once, here in DC in early 2019 — with Steve Swallow and Andy Sheppard.  Steve did a long Q&A afternoon the concert (just him), but I happened to hang around long enough to get her to autograph my EOTH CD liners, which — oddly — was somehow(?) one of the first 100 jazz CD’s I ever owned (I think on my uncle’s recommendation).

Escalator grew on me a lot while I was in college, even if none of it ever made any sense — but my ears took to it in just a couple months and a dozen spins.

A jazz visionary, for sure.  RIP.

Such sad news. R.I.P.

Our local piano matador, Uwe Oberg, played a tribute concert to her and Anette Peacock with their compositions on October 7. Who would have thought .... 

I saw her perform with the band that recorded Sextet for her Watt label. That was a great band, even better with Wayne Krantz on guitar playing more integrated into the band. I think that was a totally unexpected facet of her many musical personalities. I still know the music by heart, although I sold the CD many years ago. My thoughts are with Steve Swallow and her family. 

One hilarious moment was when she was booed at the Berlin Jazz Festival and responded with a tune she had prepared in expectation of that - Boo to you, too!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I guess this would be her last public musical statement? 

Thanks for posting this - that's so great.

Edited by mikeweil

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Oh no! I hadn't realised she was ill.

I posted this a couple of times in recent years:

https://thequietus.com/articles/29717-carla-bley-interview

Most recent (2020) informative interview I've been able to find; she seems to have been rather private. Had been ill for quite a while, brain surgery (cancer) c. 2018.

RIP.

Edited by T.D.