jazzbo

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Just preordered BUT Vat included and I’ll pay it again to the shipper AND 40$ international shipping to Italy, not a bargain for sure.

Sadly, being fleeced comes with the territory for these sets, great as they are, these days. Fortunately they are not issuing new sets every week !

14 hours ago, T.D. said:

Is it not clear from the Mosaic site?

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-don-byas-sessions/

This set of Don Byas recordings from 1944 to 1946 are gathered from sessions either led by Byas or where there is a significant solo or obbligato by him in the role of a sideman. This historical set is divided into three sections: The Savoy and National sessions which are owned by the Concord Music Group; The Timme Rosenkrantz home discs; and miscellaneous 78 labels where no ownership has been determined. The collection includes 193 tunes, including 40 previously unissued anywhere.

193 tunes spread over 10 CDs...if you figure a generous 70 minutes playing time per CD the average tune runs 3:38.

So it must be almost all short tunes.

Thanks. If my memory serves me correctly (and it may not be due to old age...:) A long time ago, when Mosaic used to post the discography, they also had the run time for each song, I think. That's helpful though. Thanks.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Just listen to one CD a week. Or month. Fight the fatigue that way.

Remember, it's three years worth of records. Don't even try to listen to them all at once.

Good point and idea. I tend to try to listen to box sets over a few days and don't go back to them for quite a while. The only ones I remember listening to often are Elvin Jones, Tal Farlow, and the Jazz Crusaders. Thanks for the suggestion.

56 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sadly, being fleeced comes with the territory for these sets, great as they are, these days. Fortunately they are not issuing new sets every week !

They could cut the VAT from the price. I just bought a shaving brush from UK and they didn’t charge VAT.

Lately I buy records only from EU, prices are higher then Japan and US, but no surprise.

Edited by porcy62

1 hour ago, tranemonk said:

Thanks. If my memory serves me correctly (and it may not be due to old age...:) A long time ago, when Mosaic used to post the discography, they also had the run time for each song, I think. That's helpful though. Thanks....

The Mosaic website ain't what it used to be (could say a lot more, but refrain...😢). I also expected a lot more in the way of discography there.

I got e-mail saying that my preorder is being processed. Presumably my credit card has been charged.

The message promised a follow-up when the package is shipped. But in light of dismal experiences with Mosaic's shipping subcontractor (receiving wrong item among other things), I'm not holding my breath.

4 hours ago, Joe Bip said:

How many sales are they losing by having the preorder be "out of stock" during a sale promotion with a specified end time? I was ready to order this but thought I had all of Saturday at least.

A friend of mine tried to order one last night (and couldn’t for the same reason) — and he called Mosaic and left a msg and also sent them an email. And then this morning (on a Sunday) he had an email reply that my friend described to me as…

“Email from a Fred at Mosaic: The first pressing of the Don Byas set has sold out. We expect to have back in stock after the New Year and we will (again) offer at sale price for a limited time.“

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Why don't they have a way to record orders that came in before the deadline but after the stock was out? Is that complicated or something? 

I suspect their new website probably has limitations around how orders are logistically done.  I’m just guessing here — but it is semi-educated…

Don’t most all credit card transactions (online, or otherwise) put a credit hold on the CC account used (the one on the credit card).  And then a moderate number of days up to maybe even a couple or a few weeks (at most), the retailer pulls the levers to actually charge the card (which is different than just the credit hold).

But I suspect credit holds can’t be held for more than a month (or two month) at most.

Either the charge has to go through (an actual charge) — or the credit hold has to be lifted.  There is a nebulous middle-ground for a while, but there may be limits to what the credit-card companies allow (contractually, and probably through the rules ‘enforced’ by their software, programmatically).

That certainly isn’t to say that an online system couldn’t be developed to provide that sort of function (without the credit hold) — but I’m quite certain that the configurable web-store either can’t do that easily, or not without custom programming (which would easily cost mosaic $1,000 or $2,000, or more).

Could it be done?? Sure. Can it be done for free or at little cost?? Probably not.

16 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I suspect their new website probably has limitations around how orders are logistically done.  I’m just guessing here — but it is semi-educated…

Don’t most all credit card transactions (online, or otherwise) put a credit hold on the CC account used (the one on the credit card).  And then a moderate number of days up to maybe even a couple or a few weeks (at most), the retailer pulls the levers to actually charge the card (which is different than just the credit hold).

But I suspect credit holds can’t be held for more than a month (or two month) at most.

Either the charge has to go through (an actual charge) — or the credit hold has to be lifted.  There is a nebulous middle-ground for a while, but there may be limits to what the credit-card companies allow (contractually, and probably through the rules ‘enforced’ by their software, programmatically).

That certainly isn’t to say that an online system couldn’t be developed to provide that sort of function (without the credit hold) — but I’m quite certain that the configurable web-store either can’t do that easily, or not without custom programming (which would easily cost mosaic $1,000 or $2,000, or more).

Could it be done?? Sure. Can it be done for free or at little cost?? Probably not.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but isn't that all predicated on the CC being cleared then charged? If they don't begin that process until the order is ready to ship, then the only thing they would have to have would be a list of orders received before Date X but not yet fulfilled.

Seems like it should be a pretty basic database query? But I don't know who is handling that Frontline ordering process for them.

Not quibbling though, since this is the first really essential Mosaic set in a good long time, and might well be the last! 

On 10/29/2023 at 9:53 AM, Dan Gould said:

But on the other hand I was excited to read this:

The Savoy and National sessions which are owned by the Concord Music Group

Hasn't it been said before "that's owned by Concord now and they won't deal with Mosaic"? If that is changing ...

I've heard from a reliable source that a Vanguard package is in the works.