Call for donations (aka sorry for the downtime)

14 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Are we talking ads vs no ads type of tiers or something different? Seems like certain content could be free while others would be paid subs. 

100% NO to the latter.

Bresna was contrasting paid membership =  no ads. No pay, ads and presumably a wonkier website.   Like Allmusic apparently does.

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

As it seems to be not easily doable to re-install the donate button which mirrors the financial needs/shortfall, why not start a monthly posting via a specific thread "Financial Situation" by Jim about the actual status quo at that time .... 

Excellent!!

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Just spitballing, but maybe an annual campaign, raise the full amount of funding for the upcoming year?  I would be happy to pay my fair share that way.

The problem is, what if the number of contributors doesn't cover the annual cost?

I've generally done $50/year on the past (think I didn't this past year because of the donations function being down), glad to do any of the numbers being kicked around except for Mr. Sangrey's grand solution.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think that frequency has to reflect the frequency that @Jim Alfredson has to pay. If it is monthly then we need to donate roughly monthly.

I need to call the server company and see if I can pay for the entire year rather than monthly. 

As of now, we've raised $1300 + Dan's $130 that paid to get the lights turned back on, so $1430 in total. That's awesome! You guys are great. If I can get it just paid for the entire year, then we don't need to worry about it again until next February.

I'll look into some subscription models. I think this software supports it.

I know of two guys who are not savvy tech guys who left one music community and
opened up their own "anything-goes" community using "Simple Machines Forum" -
which is a free, easy-to-use forum creator. It would free things up for J.A. in that
there wouldn't be this need for funding reminders.

Simple Machines Forum

A sample of a forum using this software:

021501.jpg

8 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I need to call the server company and see if I can pay for the entire year rather than monthly. 

As of now, we've raised $1300 + Dan's $130 that paid to get the lights turned back on, so $1430 in total. That's awesome! You guys are great. If I can get it just paid for the entire year, then we don't need to worry about it again until next February.

I'll look into some subscription models. I think this software supports it.

Did you get enough to repay Dan (at least in part)?  He shouldn't have to shoulder the load.

6 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Did you get enough to repay Dan (at least in part)?  He shouldn't have to shoulder the load.

Thank you but I did it of my own accord so no reimbursement needed.  Basically just prepaid what I would have in 2024.  With this near-emergency motivating a good deal of contribution activity, I figure I am good until 2025 now.

13 minutes ago, rostasi said:

I know of two guys who are not savvy tech guys who left one music community and
opened up their own "anything-goes" community using "Simple Machines Forum" -
which is a free, easy-to-use forum creator. It would free things up for J.A. in that
there wouldn't be this need for funding reminders.

Simple Machines Forum

A sample of a forum using this software:

021501.jpg

I would not be interested in any sort of "anything goes" forum and would prefer to be part of the Organissimo site especially if it will get an upgrade/relaunch in the future.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 114704.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I would not be interested in any sort of "anything goes" forum and would prefer to be part of the Organissimo site especially if it will get an upgrade/relaunch in the future.

I didn't say that it has to be an anything-goes forum Dan.
It can be only about playing baseball on Mars, if you like.