When did you first discover Mosaic?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1985-1986: The Complete Desmond/Hall Quartet, via an ad in DownBeat Magazine

After my initial Mosaic purchase, I got busy with college and life. I didn't make another Mosaic purchase till I placed an order for the Hank Mobley box circa 2002.

Edited by wesbed

Before they had actual, tangible merchandise to sell/ship, they advertised and took orders (and money!). I bit on the Monk BN set, waited nervously for what seemed like an infinity while "production issues" were worked out, breathed a sigh of relief that I hadn't been scammed when the package finally arrived, and went into a state of stunned ecstasy when I opened it up and saw/heard what was enclosed.

Before they had actual, tangible merchandise to sell/ship, they advertised and took orders (and money!). I bit on the Monk BN set, waited nervously for what seemed like an infinity while "production issues" were worked out, breathed a sigh of relief that I hadn't been scammed when the package finally arrived, and went into a state of stunned ecstasy when I opened it up and saw/heard what was enclosed.

got the Monk set for Christmas in 1985 ... think I remember seeing an ad or article in Downbeat ...

After 20 years, the details are a bit foggy. I remember getting a direct mailing from them announcing the Monk BN set (can't remember if it was one of their early 6" X 9" cards, or whether it was folded, or...?). I don't know where they got my address. I bought the Monk, Clifford Brown, and Tina Brooks sets on LP. I think my first CD sets were the two Chets (Chet was on the cover of the "Presenting Mosaic on CD" brochure).

When I first started posting on the old BNBB. The Lee Morgan 50s set was on last chance, and I happened to grab one of the few remaining copies. I remember my jaw dropping when I opened the box. The photographs were what initially grabbed me, but of course the music was superb also.

I only ordered this a few months after it was out, but my reaction was similar.

Exactly the same as vibes :) I joined the BNBB in 2000-2001 and after reading about those sets, I bought the Thad Jones (BN/UA/Roulette) and the Fuller. I didn't expect at all of what I will receive ... Wow, two big boxes with a lot of reading and fantastic music . I was hooked and I particularly cherish those two first sets ...

#1: 30-Sep-94 - Don Cherry

#2: 23-Jan-95 - Jackie McLean

#3: 12-May-95 - Andrew Hill B-)

I just happen to still have the receipts stashed in the Mosaic boxes these sets came in.

I might add that I bought the Cherry, in part, because of its relative inexpensiveness -- only $30 for two CD's. I can't remember if I had ever heard any of the material before, but I was familiar with Cherry from having bought the Ornette Atlantic box a short time earlier.

But the Mclean and Hill sets were both purchased primarily for the sidemen (not the leaders), since I was largely unfamiliar with Mclean and nearly totally unfamiliar with Hill at the time. I think I'd heard maybe two dates with McLean, at most --- and I'd probably only heard Point of Departure before.

Took to the Cherry quickly, but didn't really bond with either the McLean or the Hill sets until a good two or three years later. Sure, I liked 'em as soon as I got 'em, but I don't think the music really 'sunk in' until I'd listened to them quite a bit, particularly the Hill.

When I first started posting on the old BNBB. The Lee Morgan 50s set was on last chance, and I happened to grab one of the few remaining copies. I remember my jaw dropping when I opened the box. The photographs were what initially grabbed me, but of course the music was superb also.

It was easier just to quote Pryan than to type it up myself... :g

I was down in Eugene, Oregon a number of years ago at a small jazz record store called The Cat's Meow. For some reason that's now lost to antiquity, I got into a conversation with one of the owners about Serge Chaloff. He told me that an outfit called Mosaic Records was going to be releasing a box set of his recordings. I had never heard of Mosaic, but he told me how to get ahold of them. I ordered the Chaloff box and the rest, as they say, is history.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

If I remember correctly the first Mosaic I purchased was the Mingus Candid recordings. I believe I bought it during my last year of college in the Spring of 1988. My then new girlfriend, now wife, actually threatened once shortly after I received the box set to take a sharp object to the LPs as punishment for whatever was my latest transgression. Scary.

Edited by relyles

I'm sure I've told the story before, but my introduction to Mosaic was pretty wild. First, back in the late 80's, I saw an ad in Downbeat and called the phone number to get a catalog. When it came in, I saw a few great looking sets like the Ike Quebec 45s Sessions, the Tina Brooks set and the Freddie Redd set. I called to order all three but the Redd was sold out. I ordered the other two and was about to hang up when I was told something weird... "Call back for the next few days and we'll see if we get any returns on the Redd set". I was saying to myself, "Who the hell returns one of these?"

Well, for the two weeks, I called. I called one day and by that time they knew who I was... the guy looking for the Redd set. The person on the phone (Scott maybe?) said, "Nope, no returns... oh wait a minute... there is one in the return bin. Let me check." A few anxious minutes went by. They came back and said, "Someone's supposed to have that set on hold." I was crestfallen. I joked, "How much were they willing to pay? I'll pay more." The guy laughed and said, "Kevin, tell you what, the person was told the set was in and they didn't call back so the set is yours."

But wait, the story gets more twisted... I asked why it took two weeks to get a return and I was told, "This set was returned from Italy. The buyer died." Talk about a crazy way to get a Mosaic!

Later,

Kevin