Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

Any other takers on the Gil Fuller sides?

Re. the Wilson set — I haven't heard it, but thought it looked interesting on paper. I suppose Larry Young's Contrasts would probably be more interesting to me in the long run.

As long as the Connoisseur series continues, and finds a way to deliver titles that have never seen the light of day on compact disc, I'm happy!

Edited by Late

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard a note of Pomeroy on the labels mentioned above, but I'd buy a Connoisseur without thinking twice. Pomeroy's work on the Serge Chaloff Mosaic is fine indeed. A largely unheralded trumpet player deserving wider recognition. If we can have a Lou Blackburn Connoisseur, why not?

Jack Wilson: Song for My Daughter

I'm glad there are people here with brains who can help me to remember things like this. :tup

Have either of you heard this album? I'm just asking because if you haven't, and are expecting some "typical" Jack Wilson fare, you might be disappointed. It's a good album, but it's a lot more "commercial" than Wilson's other work.

Yeah, I've got a burn of the LP. You're right, of course, but I like it enough to want an official release.

There's a good deal I want to see out, from BN, PJ, Capitol & Roulette.

First, some that have already been mentioned:

Jimmy Smith's Club Baby Grand recordings

Ron Jefferson - Love lifted me

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

Larry Young - Contrasts

Leo Parker - Rollin' with Leo

And a few that haven't been mentioned

BNs

Grant Green - Visions

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl - one of the great live Soul Jazz sessions - cold be combined with Junior Parker & McGriff - Chicken fried soul, which was on UA and I reckon was probably recorded at the same gig (McGriff's own club in Newark).

Jimmy McGriff - Something to listen to

PJs

Clifford Scott & Les McCann - Out front

Teddy Edwards & Les McCann - It's about time

Les McCann & the Jazz Crusaders - Jazz waltz

Sonny Stitt & Charles Kynard - My mother's eyes

Charles Kynard - Where it's at

Johnny Lytle - Does it again

Johnny Lytle - Swingin' at the Gate

Roulette

Etta Jones sings

Capitol

3 Milt Buckner albums:

Rockin' with Milt

Rockin' Hammond

Milt Buckner

MG

There's a good deal I want to see out, from BN, PJ, Capitol & Roulette.

First, some that have already been mentioned:

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

Larry Young - Contrasts

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl - one of the great live Soul Jazz sessions - cold be combined with Junior Parker & McGriff - Chicken fried soul, which was on UA and I reckon was probably recorded at the same gig (McGriff's own club in Newark).

Teddy Edwards & Les McCann - It's about time

Sonny Stitt & Charles Kynard - My mother's eyes

Charles Kynard - Where it's at

MG

YES :tup

duke pearson was a genius and shuold of been president of blue note had he lived

Not according to Wayne Shorter!! :lol:

Wayne did not have a high opinion of Pearson's musical taste. He might be part of the reason Blue Note went down the toilet in the late 60's.

Source, Kevin?

And was he referring specifically to his production duties or his work as arranger on so many dates prior to Alfred's departure?

duke pearson was a genius and shuold of been president of blue note had he lived

Not according to Wayne Shorter!! :lol:

Wayne did not have a high opinion of Pearson's musical taste. He might be part of the reason Blue Note went down the toilet in the late 60's.

Which late 60s albums do you think indicate BN going down the toilet?

MG

I think Duke Pearson did what he could during the circumstances. For example, he did produce Herbie Hancock's last two BN albums, and they're good in my opinion.

I think Duke Pearson did what he could during the circumstances. For example, he did produce Herbie Hancock's last two BN albums, and they're good in my opinion.

Oh yes, they're very good! But they're in a totally different direction than the things musicians like Donald Byrd and a bit later Bobbi Humphrey and the Mizells did... I assume that's the stuff that went down the toilet? Of course it's a question of taste, in the end, but I do consider most of the late 60s BN output in a different category (and a less intriguing, at that) than the stuff they released up to, say 1966 or 1967.

Oh yes, they're very good! But they're in a totally different direction than the things musicians like Donald Byrd and a bit later Bobbi Humphrey and the Mizells did... I assume that's the stuff that went down the toilet? Of course it's a question of taste, in the end, but I do consider most of the late 60s BN output in a different category (and a less intriguing, at that) than the stuff they released up to, say 1966 or 1967.

But that stuff wasn't produced by Duke. It was early 70's material anyway; after Francis had died and George Butler took over. As far as I know Duke didn't have anything at all to do with any of that material.

MG