Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you pass this along to MC, or should I summarize it in a nifty Word File? This thread is getting big.

It is. I do feel that we have actually reached some sort of consensus on a

certain number of titles which is great. I wonder how much that'll influence

Michael Cuscuna in his choices for the next Conn batch. :)

I don't believe Michael will EVER release the "Trainwreck" session.

Well, he'd better change his mind, or else... or else I'll end up buying Natural Essence without those bonus tracks! That'll teach him! :crazy:

I got Natural Essence recently and can't see what the fuss is about, not bad but not great ....

Oh c'mon, what's all that fuss about Duke P? No one will pay more than 20$ a pop, and he's not a great tinkler anyway :g

On a more serious note: I had pretty much the same first impression of "Natural Essence", but just an hour ago I searched for it (a burn only), since I feel like giving it another spin soon.

I got Natural Essence recently and can't see what the fuss is about, not bad but not great ....

Well, there's Washington's own playing, which is unique IMO -- soulful and in some ways quite "hip" but at times veering toward the Ayler-esque; nobody else had those things going AFAIK. Then there's his writing, which also is special and different. Everybody else on the date plays great, especially Woody Shaw and Joe Chambers. And, finally, the feel of the album is special, too -- kind of "within bounds" in terms of the shared/received musical language but with a sense that things are just about to explode, as they often do, especially during Washington's solos. Also, I'm sure that sound-wise there's a whole lot more to be gotten out of those tapes than made it on to the original LP, which is what I have.

I'd like to see the Green and the Lou Mecca out together on one disc, misfits in a way on a single disc, but both are EXCELLENT sessions. Best of the West would make a nice RVG. I don't know or remember for certain if the Jutta Hipp was a leased item, I think it was. Interesting date.

specifically, what aspects of duke p's production are suspect? song selection, arrangements, what are the aspects we need to look out for whilst listening to one of his records....

yea i dont like wayne shorter anymore.

No one is going to answer this, chewy. Nor mine about which albums are the problem.

MG

I don't believe Michael will EVER release the "Trainwreck" session.

Well, he'd better change his mind, or else... or else I'll end up buying Natural Essence without those bonus tracks! That'll teach him! :crazy:

Agree completely.

Well, there's Washington's own playing, which is unique IMO -- soulful and in some ways quite "hip" but at times veering toward the Ayler-esque; nobody else had those things going AFAIK. Then there's his writing, which also is special and different. Everybody else on the date plays great, especially Woody Shaw and Joe Chambers. And, finally, the feel of the album is special, too -- kind of "within bounds" in terms of the shared/received musical language but with a sense that things are just about to explode, as they often do, especially during Washington's solos. Also, I'm sure that sound-wise there's a whole lot more to be gotten out of those tapes than made it on to the original LP, which is what I have.

Put me down as being in agreement with this.

Coincidentally or not, I think it's interesting that after Tyrone "vanished" that Heiner Stadler turned to George Adams as his tenorist. I hear a lot of similarities between Washington & Adams in terms of how they approached the instrument, although Adams' playing carries with it an air of fait accompli that is quite the opposite of Tyrone's, which may or may not "matter" as to how one does or does not feel about either man's playing.

I'd like to see the Green and the Lou Mecca out together on one disc, misfits in a way on a single disc, but both are EXCELLENT sessions. Best of the West would make a nice RVG. I don't know or remember for certain if the Jutta Hipp was a leased item, I think it was. Interesting date.

For what it is worth, "Best Of The West" has been reissued by Lonehill under the name of Conte Candoli, "Modern Sounds From The West," (LHJ10166). (The sound quality is excellent) I wonder if Lonehill is going to make any further forays into the Blue Note Catalog? The Lou Mecca/Green would make an interesting combination. Of course, this raises the question whether this Andorrean reissue stymies Cuscuna's plans for an "official" BN reissue?

Yes, Lonehill "reissued" Best of the West. I chose not to mention that. Those guys make me queasy with disgust. They're the worst of the pirates in my book. Edited by jazzbo

I'm a big fan of Natural Essence, and it made me seek out his other lps. I feel as Larry and Jim that the tension and melding between in and out and the excellent playing by all make this a special work. I'd love to see it as an RVG! (I just REALLY don't like the sound of Connoisseurs, if it came out that way I'd stick with my TOCJ copy unless it had extra material.)

I suspect the Silver tapes were the only ones Michael would have given back to the artist, partially because these were not done in the RVG studio.

Are these the tracks with an enlarged horn section? If so, it was a pity if they were destroyed ..... at least i'm extremely curious about those Silver mini big band tracks.

Edited by mikeweil

Yes, I think so, that's how I remember it.

I probably shouldn't have said anything. . . I can't remember whether I was sworn to secrecy or not! I think that was the one and ony time I talked with Cuscuna for that interview about Alfred Lion, a long time ago it seems.

Coincidentally or not, I think it's interesting that after Tyrone "vanished" that Heiner Stadler turned to George Adams as his tenorist. I hear a lot of similarities between Washington & Adams in terms of how they approached the instrument, although Adams' playing carries with it an air of fait accompli that is quite the opposite of Tyrone's, which may or may not "matter" as to how one does or does not feel about either man's playing.

"Adams' playing carries with it an air of fait accompli that is quite the opposite of Tyrone's" is true, I think, and perfect. You oughta be a jazz critic.