Connoisseur Wish List for 2007

bertrand

Burt Collins (tp,pic-tp-l) Jimmy Cleveland (tb) Ed Pazant (fl,as,oboe-l) Frank Foster (alto-cl-l,ts) George

Cables (p) Buster Williams (b) Mickey Roker (d)

Englewood Cliffs, N.J. , January 31, 1969

3322 Slug's bag (unissued)

3323 Buster Brown -

3324 Fly by night (1) Blue Note (Du)lA158-83401/4

3325 Hip shakin' -

3326 What's new from the monster mill -

3327 The house that love built (2) -

Note : (2) Burt Collins, Jimmy Cleveland and Ed Pazant out.

The above scheduled for release on Blue Note BST84316 but never issued.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Lateef's only BN appearance was with the (wrong) Green, too!

Sorry, I didn't realize the above meant Bennie...

time for the if you could only keep one Green (Jones, Davis, endless possibilities) in your collection which one would it be thread... (Grant Thad Lockjaw for me i suppose) :)

:D

Grant, Boogaloo Joe, Lockjaw for me. (Just as well you didn''t mention Smith.)

MG

I had thought of Smith before Davis but had thought it to be a sacrilege to admit Elliott on an organ site :)

time for the if you could only keep one Green (Jones, Davis, endless possibilities) in your collection which one would it be thread... (Grant Thad Lockjaw for me i suppose) :)

MG

I had thought of Smith before Davis but had thought it to be a sacrilege to admit Elliott on an organ site :)

I can't choose at all. Think I meant Grant, too, by the way (sad to say I'm far, far too poorly versed in Bennie to shoot superlative breeze...). At the same time--I'd like to hope that the Kenny Cox makes it, too.

Ed Pazant??? :blink:

I have heard the cult fave Pazant Brothers sides have have not been terribly impressed...

What! Incredible.

Is it this one you've heard?

B0000DD9AH.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116223748_.jpg

Or this one?

B000BEZQ4A.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1131012354_.jpg

Mind you - I think they're both highly greasy.

MG

PS - I guess you'll be familiar with their work with Pucho & co.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

MG

Hm, I'd be hard-pressed to chose between Jabbo and Joe... ;)

The Green would be Freddie, I assume, Thad would be most likely, then it would be Miles, I guess...)

Mike, I think I have that Blakey somewhere (old CD version - was there ever a new one of this? I lost touch during the CCrap period, totally), wasn't aware Lateef was on it, it's been a long time since I played it.

Joe, by a short head.

I've heard both of those. Sorry...

You gotta keep in mind, though, that I'm from an area where bands that that did this type thing (often much better, imo) were (and still are to some extent) a dime a dozen. I've even played in a few of them. ;)

Note to wife - we must emigrate to Texas.

MG

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any discussion of this, but in browsing through an Imperial label discography, I came across these two releases:

LP-9007 - Afro U.S.A. - Anayogu Ukonu and Afro-Calypsonians [1956] Originally issued in mono only. Reissued in 1958 in rechanneled stereo as LP-12003. Bo Bo Wor Foro Satide/Ada Lee/War Dance/I'm Serious/Afro-Maringa/Mhuru-Gi-Nanya (I Love You)/Where Is My Mama/Sapara/Agnese/Okorobia/Oboli/Elenwua

LP-9044 - African Night Life - Anayogu Ukonu [1957] Issued in mono only. Everybody Goes For Calypso/Ghana Ayeiko/Drive Her Home/Abiana/I Got My Fingers Crossed/Anywhere You Go/Obiutom/Donkey City/Talking Drums/Chusie Baby/Mambo Africana/Mulenga

Don't know if they are that great, but I'd probably pick them up if they came out as a Conn, esp. if it fit on one CD. Of course, MC would have to move quickly, as they are going into PD in the EU pretty soon.

Eric