Brad

Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

141 posts in this topic

Before I dropped my subscription to Down Beat (this year--just didn't have much I wanted to read anymore), I was perplexed that they no longer reviewed any Mosaic sets. I wondered if it was because the label had quit advertising its releases in the magazine.

gregmo

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Before I dropped my subscription to Down Beat (this year--just didn't have much I wanted to read anymore), I was perplexed that they no longer reviewed any Mosaic sets. I wondered if it was because the label had quit advertising its releases in the magazine.

gregmo

They do not supply review copies. 

they did supply me with a few review copies over the years, which I reviewed. I guess it's possible that the publications purchased them for review and didn't let me know that they had done that.

Back in the day (you remember "the day") they did promos but I understand if they stopped.

The set will more than likely sell out, similar to the Mobley set. There's probably plenty of interest for the amount of sets they'll produce. Maybe they don't think they need to market it as much due to that, but it just seems to me that additional traffic to their site would also help sell some other sets that are sitting in inventory (or possibly with hold orders until enough sets are ordered). 

35 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

they did supply me with a few review copies over the years, which I reviewed. I guess it's possible that the publications purchased them for review and didn't let me know that they had done that.

I once purchased a review copy on eBay, the HRS sessions.  Maybe it was yours. 

When I dabbled in jazz journalism decades ago they told me they did not supply review copies.

The UK jazz journal I wrote for folded after maybe four issues. I can’t remember what it was called. In fact I’d forgotten all about it until now. 

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

one of my Mosaics (Basie Roulette Live) booklet has no # only a radio station call sign - presume that was a promo

10 hours ago, Brad said:

still got it!

20 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Back in the day (you remember "the day")

Yes, I remember. Because I also got them. And they were not emails, but paper magazines.

20 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I was sent some Mosaic sets as promos but they often sold them at half off or less to writers. I think my cost for the Nat Cile box was $106 plus shipping.

I stopped asking once it became impossible to get them assigned to review.

Rumor has it it's sold out. :rolleyes:

Are we sure it's not targeted for an April 1 release?